What should the Bears do?

Trey Lance

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Who is trading for Fields, just out of curiosity? And what do they pay?

Ravens make the most sense to me if they don't want to pay Lamar. Fields still has 3 more years on his rookie deal including the 5th year option. I could also see the Raiders, Commanders, and Falcons having interest. I think the Dolphins could be a dark horse candidate if they get bad news on Tua prior to the draft.

I think any compensation would be a late 1st (Ravens) or early 2nd (others mentioned) plus future conditionals.

• Like 1

You 100% have to evaluate the quarterbacks in this draft. it's a disservice to the team if you don't.

Provided that checks out and you prefer to stick with Fields, then I think you really try and sell that pick. As much as I Like Anderson and Carter, if you can nab an extra first and an early second to move down like 5 spots, you have to do it. I mean, there's a real chance that someone trading up for Bryce Young is not great next year and that future first will also be valuable. 

If you're not getting the haul you want for moving down, I think you try to get the Texans to bite on switching spots for their second. 

• Like 2

Depends on the haul you can get for #1 overall. Depends if they like Fields. Depends what kind of picks you can get for Fields. Boring answer, but I don’t know enough about the prospects to really say. If you like them, take them and trade Fields.

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Ravens make the most sense to me if they don't want to pay Lamar. Fields still has 3 more years on his rookie deal including the 5th year option. I could also see the Raiders, Commanders, and Falcons having interest. I think the Dolphins could be a dark horse candidate if they get bad news on Tua prior to the draft.

I think any compensation would be a late 1st (Ravens) or early 2nd (others mentioned) plus future conditionals.

I heard on First Things First the idea of trading Fields for Lamar. Then you obv trade down and take OL/Weapons.

CHI has the cap space to sign him to a big deal, BAL gets the cheaper option and their system is already built around a mobile QB.

I'm sure there is an obvious reason one/both sides hate it and maybe there are picks involved in some way to balance the value. I kinda just threw it out there half joking/half hoping to get flamed by the fanbases about why it's such a terrible idea.

Edited by Soggust

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I heard on First Things First the idea of trading Fields for Lamar. Then you obv trade down and take OL/Weapons.

CHI has the cap space to sign him to a big deal, BAL gets the cheaper option and their system is already built around a mobile QB.

I'm sure there is an obvious reason one/both sides hate it and maybe there are picks involved in some way to balance the value. I kinda just threw it out there half joking/half hoping to get flamed by the fanbases about why it's such a terrible idea.

I don't think it's that crazy. I doubt it happens though. But I'm not a fan of Fields or Lamar. They're good players but their style won't give you longevity and I doubt championships either. Maybe they can eventually become better and more consistent passers. But until then, I wouldn't want either as my QB.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Jim Irsay and the Colts are going to be desperate like crazy for a new young QB....I think the Colts offer is going to be too good for the first overall pick that the Bears could not reject that.

While probably unrealistic I would be happy to swap 1sts with IND and a mid round pick if they threw Buckner on the deal. Bears need talent all over and absolutely are starving for a few dynamic players. Getting one like him would be great. At 1(4) Anderson or Carter will be there as well.

Plus no dead cap for IND so no major penalty. Just opens up cap room for them. If done before FA opens they can use it for Buckner's replacement or to help support their new QB.

You trade down and try to stay within the top 4. 

You want to still get either Carter or Will Anderson

Even if you dont get a huge haul you still get a player who would've been worth the selection at 1 and you get more assets. 

But if think Young is the pick you take him and then either trade him during the draft, or have a QB competition. 

No matter what Chicago you have to have your franchise QB within this offseason. Your scouting department better know if Fields is the guy or not. Any reservations you take Young and worry about everything else later. You have to secure the franchise this offseason. You can't let this opportunity pass you up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brownie man said:

You trade down and try to stay within the top 4. 

You want to still get either Carter or Will Anderson

Even if you dont get a huge haul you still get a player who would've been worth the selection at 1 and you get more assets. 

But if think Young is the pick you take him and then either trade him during the draft, or have a QB competition. 

No matter what Chicago you have to have your franchise QB within this offseason. Your scouting department better know if Fields is the guy or not. Any reservations you take Young and worry about everything else later. You have to secure the franchise this offseason. You can't let this opportunity pass you up. 

I haven't honestly scouted QBs but I would be concerned about Getsy/Eberflus making any calls. They tried to make the Bears be a deep passing offense with two 5th round guys drafted in the last two years as OT for the first half season, they let Mustipher have the starting C job but tried to have Lucas Patrick take the job from Jenkins, who was by far the best OL on the team. They also sat Claypool while ESB and Pettis took the lion's share of snaps too. Yes this was a tank season, but even so some of these moves were baffling.

I wonder if Poles is using Eberflus to be the scapegoat/culture shift guy like Pace did with John Fox. While Eberflus and Getsy are not on the hot seat this year I don't know if they have shown much positives honestly. If the team isn't significantly better next year then they probably get the boot and then Poles and the new HC get to pick their own QB.

Or the guy replacing Ted Phillips might even want his own GM in there if he doesn't like things in 2023. The offseason will be WAY more interesting for me than the Bears season for sure. lol

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Based on what he's shown, I cant see any team trading a top 50 pick for Fields.