What should the Bears do?

Trey Lance

You have to give Fields at least a competent O-Line and some weapons before declaring him a failure (if not a new head coach / OC). 
I know the FO doesn't have any ties to him but for me he warrants a 3rd year with better help around him. 
Trade the pick to the highest bidder and hopefully comes out of the draft with either Anderson or Carter and some WRs and OLs. 

• Like 1

Fields may be nothing more than a glorified RB but in a perverse sense he's perfect for the Bears--the best "QB" Chicago has drafted in a generation.  What would you do with Young or Stroud?  Other than ruin their career, that is.  What more would Chicago have to do to convince you they are singularly and utterly incapable of developing a QB?

Fields is your offense.  Trade the pick and build a defense.

• Like 3

Trade the pick and build around Fields. Go get him an OL and some legit receivers. This 1st overall pick is a gift especially with so many QB needy teams looking at Young, Stroud, and even Levis. Don’t screw this up Bears. I’m high on Fields and he need help on offense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MagicMT said:

You have to give Fields at least a competent O-Line and some weapons before declaring him a failure (if not a new head coach / OC). 
I know the FO doesn't have any ties to him but for me he warrants a 3rd year with better help around him. 
Trade the pick to the highest bidder and hopefully comes out of the draft with either Anderson or Carter and some WRs and OLs. 

The talent around Fields is irrelevant when comparing him to Bryce Young. Young is simply a better passer and Fields hasn't shown nearly enough to justify keeping him over a guy like that.

• Like 1

Trade down, keep Fields, amass picks and talent ala Howie Roseman Eagles style, bleed Fields dry until you build a proper team, eventually draft shiny new rookie QB who can pass the ball with a talented team around him

poles is from KC he should know the drill, Mahomes is amazing but he also walked into an amazing situation. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StatKing said:

The talent around Fields is irrelevant when comparing him to Bryce Young. Young is simply a better passer and Fields hasn't shown nearly enough to justify keeping him over a guy like that.

How is the talent level irrelevant? No rookie QB is gonna do well with what the Bears have on their roster rn. They’re gonna ruin a guy like Young before they can build a team around him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

How is the talent level irrelevant? No rookie QB is gonna do well with what the Bears have on their roster rn. They’re gonna ruin a guy like Young before they can build a team around him. 

Why do people cling to this logic?

99.9% of the time teams picking first overall absolutely suck and have issues at QB.

Trevor Lawrence went to the absolute worst situation imaginable but here he is going to the playoffs in year 2 and will likely be a top 5 QB for the forseeable future.

Bengals went from picking first overall to being of the main powers in the AFC after drafting Burrow.

Does it always work? No, but not drafting a QB simply because you might "break him" is more likely to hold you back.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Why do people cling to this logic?

99.9% of the time teams picking first overall absolutely suck and have issues at QB.

Trevor Lawrence went to the absolute worst situation imaginable but here he is going to the playoffs in year 2 and will likely be a top 5 QB for the forseeable future.

Bengals went from picking first overall to being of the main powers in the AFC after drafting Burrow.

Does it always work? No, but not drafting a QB simply because you might "break him" is more likely to hold you back.

Trevor Lawrence is the exception not the rule. For every T-Law and Burrow, there’s a Baker or Carr or Jamarcus or Bradford or George or Goff or Couch or Testeverde or etc. etc. 

Just look at the Bears for example, they drafted Fields, he’s the most sacked QB in the league and they’re still picking first overall. Almost like drafting a young talented QB into a bad situation didn’t move the needle, and if anything reversed it. 

Trade back, get some picks, increase the talent level, give a young QB a good situation to work in and grow in. If Fields isn’t the guy you’ll still be in a good position to draft a talented QB in the future.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brownie man said:

You trade down and try to stay within the top 4. 

You want to still get either Carter or Will Anderson

Even if you dont get a huge haul you still get a player who would've been worth the selection at 1 and you get more assets. 

But if think Young is the pick you take him and then either trade him during the draft, or have a QB competition. 

No matter what Chicago you have to have your franchise QB within this offseason. Your scouting department better know if Fields is the guy or not. Any reservations you take Young and worry about everything else later. You have to secure the franchise this offseason. You can't let this opportunity pass you up. 

I agree. Continue to add blue chip pieces to the roster. I am not convinced Young or Stroud are bona fide NFL franchise quarterbacks. IF that is the case, best case scenario is the Bears slide down a few spots and still have an opportunity to select Carter or Williams while adding draft assets, preferably in this draft and next year.

• Like 2

The other interesting caveat is what the Bears view as a sunk cost with Fields considering they gave up some draft ammunition to move up to draft him. They also traded for Claypool a very high pick to fix a problem to help him out.

I can see them doing about anything with that pick. I think the reality is they’re likely back in the Top 5-10 regardless of what they do this year. 

Does a new quarterback fix their OL and WR issues? Does it fix a terrible defense?

(Maybe it fixes some of the receiver problems).

I think they need to explore all options, and a few days ago they were probably a lock to get Anderson as an Edge guy. If they trade back it’s probably not past 2 or 3 IMO.

I personally would build up a cache of picks and rebuild the porous roster for whoever that quarterback is, and you hope it’s Fields. They’ve done him an extreme disservice on basically everything they’ve done offensively from last year’s coaching staff in keeping Nagy down to personnel.