Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

54 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins is getting extended. We aren’t drafting a QB in the first round. 

This offseason is going to be defense, defense, defense. 

As it should be. 

That was basically this past offseason too. Need to actually get something out of the day one and day two picks. Unfortunately we only have one of those this year. Need to see something from the front office, the first draft didn’t bode well for them. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

As it should be. 

While this is the most likely scenario, it’s also likely this is the path to #5 seed or lower for a couple of years. 

addressing a potential talent upgrade at the QB position while also taking advantage of lower contract value, really should be in their thought process right now.  Defence can be found in free agency and/or lower round draft picks. Can’t find a potential QB to replace the current one, that way. 

Disappointing end obviously, but I think we (or they) just need to keep doing what they're doing. Kevin Mconnell made mistakes but he strikes me as a quick learner and I think he will end up a good coach.

Need some more offensive tricks besides JJ because when he gets shut down we have nothing else to offer. Defense needs to be fixed a bunch of ways.

All in all I think we overachieved this year.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who has trade value?

I'm not sure there are any players on the Vikings that we find expendable that have any trade value.  Dalvin has no trade value, unless it's a 7th rd pick at best.  But the only ones that have any trade value are the guys like Hunter, Kirk, JJ, and possibly Harrison Smith (who hasn't fallen off but was just used incorrectly).  

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

As it should be. 

Cousins is going to be 35.  We really to think about addressing the position in the next year or two. I wouldn't have an issue drafting a developmental guy like Anthony Richardson if we have a chance.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

Cousins is going to be 35.  We really to think about addressing the position in the next year or two. I wouldn't have an issue drafting a developmental guy like Anthony Richardson if we have a chance.

They aren't drafting Richardson.  Their only opportunity may be to trade back down into the 2nd round and get a guy there.  But, it's far more likely to be addressed in '24 than this year.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They aren't drafting Richardson.  Their only opportunity may be to trade back down into the 2nd round and get a guy there.  But, it's far more likely to be addressed in '24 than this year.  

Why aren't they drafting Richardson? Not that I'm necessarily hung up on him, but I think we should get a developmental guy this season.  I think we should be looking to put our self in position to move on from Kirk next year if we need to.

Edited by Worm Guts

5 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Why aren't they drafting Richardson? Not that I'm necessarily hung up on him, but I think we should get a developmental guy this season.  I think we should be looking to put our self in position to move on from Kirk next year if we need to.

They only have 4 picks.  They can't invest one of them in a developmental QB.  They need players who can play early.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Why trade down (into the 2nd) to get a QB, when they could trade up (higher in the 1st) to get "a better guy" ....This is the potential QBOTF we are talking about, the singular most important position in all of professional team sports.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They only have 4 picks.  They can't invest one of them in a developmental QB.  They need players who can play early.  

I understand you want to do everything you can to win now, but you need to pull the trigger at some point. With Kirk's contract expiring next year, it seems like a good time for it.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Why trade down (into the 2nd) to get a QB, when they could trade up (higher in the 1st) to get "a better guy" ....This is the potential QBOTF we are talking about, the singular most important position in all of professional team sports.

Because you very rarely find starting QBs, especially franchise ones in the second round. 

It sounds great on paper and in theory, but the practicality of it doesn't work.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

I understand you want to do everything you can to win now, but you need to pull the trigger at some point. With Kirk's contract expiring next year, it seems like a good time for it.

It's far greater that they will extend Kirk one more year, and then in 2024, they can address that.  While they currently only have 5 picks in the 2024 draft, I can see them adding more.  It's not about just winning now, it's about reloading the roster so that when you do address that position, they have a decent team around them and not a Bears-like situation.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Who has trade value?

Hunter. We aren’t going to get a ton back from about anyone else that makes sense to trade. You aren’t trading JJ, O’Neill or Darrisaw, and there isn’t really any talent on rookie contracts that you are going to get via trade for any decent picks.

id say “of course” you could trade Cook or Z but I don’t think you’re getting back really anything in return. Cook you will have to eat some salary  and hope the other team will eat the rest and probably net a day 3 pick.