Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes, he does accept void years.  His current contract has 2 void years right now (2023/2024).

You are correct. I guess I was absolutely wrong on that. 
my last opinion on the situation does stand tho. I honestly do believe he will take the longest contract that will be offered with them fully guaranteed 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Add that up in a form with Dead Cap. The team will pay attention to that. 

Dead cap would be roughly $14M. Those listed in bold are pretty easy decisions for me.

Za'Darius Smith $3.3M

Dalvin Cook $6.2M

Eric Kendricks $1.9M

Jordan Hicks $1.5M

CJ Ham $750k

Chris Reed $250k

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Dead cap would be roughly $14M. Those listed in bold are pretty easy decisions for me.

Za'Darius Smith $3.3M

Dalvin Cook $6.2M

Eric Kendricks $1.9M

Jordan Hicks $1.5M

CJ Ham $750k

Chris Reed $250k

Absolutely with you on the bottom 4. The Cook one would be probably a little tougher to swallow for the team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

It is pay-cut or be cut with him IMO. Cannot continue to restructure everyone and kick the can down the road, the band-aid needs to be ripped off eventually.

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Dalvin Cook was not good this year. 2023 cap hit is around 14mil. I dont think this is a tough decision. 

I do agree, but the hard to swallow pill for the organization is the money still being spent. We know what his cap hit is and can be replaced, but you still are paying him a fair amount not to play here. Its basically why I've said the trade option would still be the best. 

Maybe its a 4th rounder + we eat some salary. I just don't see him being the guy they go ahead and just cut. There are still teams out there that will pay him to play, and if hes locked in with them a little cheaper than his currently salary they will probably give up a late round pick for him.

I’m not saying it’s not impossible. Packers took a huge dead cap last year with Z. 
But typically you see players above $5m guaranteed trying to be traded, or the team is going thru a rebuild. 

Falcons I believe have the highest and that’s because of the Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones contracts. 

Russell Wilson was a high number but he was traded. 

overall in the next two years you are looking at $9m to our RB if cut to not play for your team. To replace him you are either signing another vet to a contract, or draft capital most likely that could be used at other positions needing more help. It’s still a fair amount of money tied up in the position. 

My opinion is to either let this year play out and find his replacement, trade him, or simply see what a restructure could possibly do, I haven’t looked into it, maybe there is something you can do to lower the cap hit. Maybe not. 

I don't personally thinking trading Dalvin is much of an option, because you aren't getting sufficient value in return.  You ask him to take a paycut.  If he refuses then I imagine you attempt to trade him, but it's far more likely no one is going to give you anything in return and they'll just wait for him to get cut.  

• Like 1

Is Bryz still the capologist?  If so, between KAM and him, I suspect they'll get some kinks worked out, but there has to be change.

With society changing soooo much, is there a reasonable thought process that the Vikings don't extend Cousins unless he wins it all?  I.e.:  You expect, and have manipulated, fully-guaranteed contracts at the top-echelon of NFL QBs.  Yet, you have not been to a Conference Championship or the Super Bowl.  Your statistics are impressive, but your contracts have become prohibitive . . . something like that?

There were a few eligible QBs for this year's draft that are going back to school for another year, so I think the 2024 draft will have a better selection of QBs than this year.  I will say that if Stetson Bennett's sitting there in the 5th Rd, do ya struggle pulling the trigger so you have to kick the tires on the kid?  

Even if they draft a QB late in 2023's class, ya have to go to the well again, but earlier in 2024 maybe 2025.  Think about it, this team can keep this offensive line and build continuity and chemistry there, with depth, and you have JJ, KJ and Hock . . . a decent QB would have success -- a really good QB on a rookie deal would be dangerous!

In the picture above, I'm counting O'Neill to be back strong . . . I suspect AT's days are numbered and Cook could fetch a 4th Rd pick, maybe?  Irv Smith has proven nothing, so make him a cut.  I'd like to see Uli re-signed before Bradbury -- I think a quality Center will be available in Rds 1-3 if the talks with Bradbury go south.  Udoh though, has a rare combo of size and strength . . . he never really developed a killer instinct early, but he was raw.  

In the end, this team is not in rebuild mode.  But we need to get a few things straightened out for the long haul.

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Extending him is not a mistake when you have no succession plan and the team isn't in a position to draft that successor.  

This seems like a big excuses. “Not in a position to draft that successor” 

that’s a cop out.

They can easily give up an additional 1st and move up for a QB to sit behind Kirk for a year (and take over the 2024 season) with a nice low cap number.