Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

piggy back on my last comment, I think niners will have a tough time obtaining a lot of value for Lance because of 1 big reason:

1. he'll only have 2 more cheap years left on his rookie deal, then the expensive 5 year option. This on top of the fact that no one yet knows if he's even a dude yet.

Cook for Lance....😀

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

It will certainly generate questions about what to do.  It'd be hard to Wally Pipp Trey Lance, but if that does put him on the block, it would only benefit the 49ers even more with draft picks, because unlike Kirk, he would generate multiple pick offers, because he's only turning 23 in 4 months.

Edit:  We may not know whether he's a dude yet, but because he's only turning 23, that gives the new team plenty of time to still develop that talent.

Maybe, but I addressed that in the next post. Teams will be leery to give up multiple picks because you dont know if hes a dude, and you dont have too much time left to find out before you have to start paying him big money; only 2 cheap years left after this season. 

I think that suppresses his value. But...I also think that is a conversation Kwesi will have with his former employer if he becomes available. 

It’s that time of year again. Every football publication in the world is going to start publishing misleading information about the salary cap. OverTheCap.com projects the Minnesota Vikings to be about $24 million over the cap in 2023. Of course, that is assuming all years void out, and the team doesn’t do anything about it — which they cannot do by rule. You’ll see pundits in a blind panic on the Vikings’ behalf, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’, and New Orleans Saints’, and every other team that is projected to be over every year and be blatantly wrong about how dire the situation is.

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/minnesota-vikings-news/the-salary-cap-doomers-have-never-been-more-wrong/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Cook for Lance....😀

deal!

But in seriousness, hypothetically, Purdy takes niners to the promise land. Niners commit to Purdy, make Lance available.

I could see something like this....2023 3rd + 2024 conditional 2nd, becomes a 1st based off team wins or games played.

I feel like something like that, seems fair. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Kwesi has shown a willingness to trade highly drafted players that haven't lived up to expectations but they were all relatively cheap to aquire 

I wouldn't say Hockenson was cheap to acquire. But his value was suppressed a bit because he's going to get paid market value soon.

38 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes.  

They have an elite defense which was largely built in-house via the draft and a HC who is basically a QB whisperer because he can vary his play-calling to the strengths of the QB he has to play with.    

And how can the 49ers trade a bunch of picks to get up to get Trey Lance...because they have a bunch of them.  Despite trading up to get Lance (including this year's first rounder) and McCaffrey, they will still likely have 11 picks because of all the comp picks they are expected to get because of smart hiring (of coaches and GMs) and smart drafting/player development.

And funny, who spent part of his career learning in that system? Kwesi.  Rome was not built in a day...neither will this roster.  And you didn't see the 49ers trading a bunch of picks right off the bat to draft a QB.  They traded a 2nd round pick to get Jimmy G late in Shanahan's first yr.  It was 5 years into Shanahan's tenure that they traded up to get Lance.  

I hope he learns a lot from the way they are doing things.  It seems like the Browns were doing some of that until they went all in on Watson

1 hour ago, viking said:

Not really sure what you're getting at here.

If the Vikings want to win a superbowl we need a young elite cheap QB. Kirk is none of these things

Where do you get a young elite cheap QB? The draft.

Probably so...however, the Vikings are not in position to draft a potential franchise QB this year, and to move up in the draft would cost more draft picks than the team has this season.  I don't think it makes since to do an LA Rams...mortgaging the future to try and win now.  The best plan is to extend Cousins, and draft the best defensive talent that is available to us.

11 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Probably so...however, the Vikings are not in position to draft a potential franchise QB this year, and to move up in the draft would cost more draft picks than the team has this season.  I don't think it makes since to do an LA Rams...mortgaging the future to try and win now.  The best plan is to extend Cousins, and draft the best defensive talent that is available to us.

Rams traded for a vet QB (with a stacked roster) in a win now move. 

if the Vikings trade (up) for a rookie QB, let’s say to #17 (example), and give up a 2024 1st rounder … It’s not a win now move, its to attempt to win “3-7” yrs in the future. To pair rookie QB with JJ/Darrisaw/BO/Hock

• Like 1

2 hours ago, viking said:

That pretty much is the case? If you don't have a HOF level QB / MVP level QB or an elite QB on a rookie deal your chance to win a ring is almost zero

I don't know... San Francisco is starting Mr. Irrelevant and they have a really good shot at getting a ring. If we invest heavily in the defense and bring it up to at least a competent level, there's no reason we couldn't win with Kirk.

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Rams traded for a vet QB (with a stacked roster) in a win now move. 

if the Vikings trade (up) for a rookie QB, let’s say to #17 (example), and give up a 2024 1st rounder … It’s not a win now move, its to attempt to win “3-7” yrs in the future. To pair rookie QB with JJ/Darrisaw/BO/Hock

I hope it doesn't take a first to move up 6 spots

• Like 1