Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The truth is whatever their perception of the truth is.  Apparently, because Kendricks is not **** Butkus, then he's "soft."  You know he's soft because didn't like being yelled at by Zimmer.  He's too touchy-feely.  🙄

Unfortunately, some people will just have to learn to understand that that era of society is gone.  That the era of being screamed at or being criticized by coaches is gone.  It probably never truly was productive, but it was just how it was and players handled it.  Today's players don't accept that.  It doesn't make them soft or sensitive, despite what some think.  It actually makes them more mature. 

Kendricks took a step back this year, but it wasn't because he was soft or sensitive...it's because almost everything was new to him.  It was the first year he had ever run in a 3-4 base defense (UCLA was also a 4-3) and it was the first year he wore the headset the majority of the year (Barr generally was the one that did so).  Despite all that change, he still managed to lead the team in tackles and was in better position more often than Hicks was (even though it still wasn't adequate).  

I agree with you.  I have always had problems who speak or write in declaratives, when it's more mature, and frankly braver to say "in my opinion," rather than "it's the truth."  Declaratives tend to shut off conversation and doesn't respect others participation.  In my opinion, a lot of folks in our society need to stand by their own opinions, rather than thinking everybody agrees with them, or should agree with them.  Speaking in declaratives is a bad habit and sign of immaturity, in my own way of thinking.  Everyone is free to disagree, of course.

• Like 2

There’s a difference in the generation now soft to the back in the day soft. 

I guess now when I saw soft I’m just talking about the style of play. Just have some “Pee and Vinegar” under yourself. 
Kendricks just never exactly had that. 

It’s just a play style. You see it in certain players. Eagles, 49ers are just 2 of the teams that have plenty of them. 

3 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I think the team is in rebuild mode. Yeah they may have won more games this year but really the team was the exact same as last years squad but just ended up having luck fall their way. They couldn’t beat the good teams and they played down to bad teams just squeaking by to get a W. They embraced that identity and lost yet another meaningful game in the playoffs. Barely winning games ultimately caught up to them. 

Weak leaders like Kendricks needs to go. You can’t have the softest and most sensitive guy on the team playing the one position where you need the exact opposite. I called it out and everyone got upset but it’s just the truth. You need dogs not puppies.

Then, they need to get rid of Kendricks, Hicks, Cook, Thielen, Tomlinson, Hunter, Z Smith, H Smith and might as well add the 3rd Smith, Irv.  

That’s 1/3 of all starters. Definitely in rebuild mode. Not even including the CBs. 

Did you just say he's too sensitive? God. What an awful take. Horrible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Did you just say he's too sensitive? God. What an awful take. Horrible. 

Kendricks plays way too soft. But the sensitive comment, that’s a little much. Kendricks should be released. Can’t keep seeing him rack up tackles down field and routinely getting gashed by QBs and RBs on the ground. 

• Like 2

Well, Kendricks isn't Sendejo...never has been.  If that's what you're expecting, then I'm sorry to inform you.  😉

I don't think he's necessarily played too soft, but he was out of position far too often, which maybe gives the perception that he's soft.  But, he's not a big guy, so he will sometimes get overpowered at the point of attack.  I also don't think the DL did him any favors either, as it was their job to keep him clean.    

• Like 1

Linebackers are more exposed in an odd man front, so if you’re undersized and not overly strong you’re going to have a bad time. 

But my biggest concerns with Kendricks, and why I think he needs to move on, is that he struggled mightily with his reading and reaction. He wasn’t just susceptible to play action, counter runs, or misdirection plays, he committed false steps or ran the wrong way almost every time. And he looked slow. He wasn’t able to keep up with tight ends, maintain his zone against crossing routes, get proper depth at the snap, or beat running backs to the gap (if he even filled the correct gap in the first place).

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

Kendricks is a respected leader on the team. He's earned that respect within the locker room, and I doubt anyone there thinks he's "soft." 

Kendricks on the field...he's just not a fit for this defense and has best days seem to have passed. His play this year was bad. Couple that with his cap number, and it should be an easy choice to let him go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Linebackers are more exposed in an odd man front, so if you’re undersized and not overly strong you’re going to have a bad time. 

But my biggest concerns with Kendricks, and why I think he needs to move on, is that he struggled mightily with his reading and reaction. He wasn’t just susceptible to play action, counter runs, or misdirection plays, he committed false steps or ran the wrong way almost every time. And he looked slow. That was very glaring. 

You're going to look slow when you're clearly not understanding what you're supposed to be doing so you're thinking instead of reacting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

You're going to look slow when you're clearly not understanding what you're supposed to be doing so you're thinking instead of reacting.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  Kendricks strength has always been how he instinctively played angles, shed blockers, and rack up tackles.  He could do that in the 4-3 and not even think about it.  It made him appear fast, because he was coming from the side of a runner or receiver instead of head on.  In the 3-4 he has to meet players who are bigger than he is head on.  He's thinking instead of playing instinctually.  I suspect that if he had another year in the system he would get it and play productively.  However, the Vikings don't have the luxury of paying him and hoping he improves.

I like Kendricks.  I appreciated the way he plays.  But, it's probably time to get someone who could possibly be better.