Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

If the opportunity presents itself, should the Vikings consider trading for Trey Lance?  Apparently, from rumors, it might not cost more than a 3rd rd pick.  They'd probably only have a couple of years to know whether he'd be the long-term answer, but would that be worth it?    

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If the opportunity presents itself, should the Vikings consider trading for Trey Lance?  Apparently, from rumors, it might not cost more than a 3rd rd pick.  They'd probably only have a couple of years to know whether he'd be the long-term answer, but would that be worth it?    

Yes, I would. He would only be cheap for 2 more years, but I think he has a lot of upside, if fully healthy. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes. Absolutely yes. 

I’d gladly send a 3rd this year with a conditional 2nd attached in 2024. 

• Like 3

According to Michael Silver of the San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco might not fetch more than a third-round pick in return for Lance based on what he's hearing from rival executives across the league:

"Even if the Niners are receptive to potential trade offers for Lance after the season, they won’t come close to recouping that haul. Based on my conversations with several teams’ general managers (and other high- ranking front-office executives), Lance would be unlikely to net much more than a third- round selection, though it’s possible there’s a team out there motivated to give more."

Trading Lance would be an admission of failure for the 49ers, who not only selected the former North Dakota State quarterback third overall in the NFL Draft, but traded up to draft him, sending three first-round picks and a 2022 third-round pick to the Miami Dolphins.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/report-trey-lance-might-not-cost-more-than-a-3rd-round-pick

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Yes, I would. He would only be cheap for 2 more years, but I think he has a lot of upside, if fully healthy. 

To expand, if you trade for him this offseason you can either give 2023 3rd, or 2024 2nd.

2023 - he's a backup, getting acclimated to the system and rehabbing from his injury

2024 - he's the starter, exercise 5th yr option, kirk is gone. hopefully he takes off

2025 - under contract with 5th yr option

2026 - franchise tag 1

2027 - franchise tag 2

if goes according to plan, you don't even get to 2026 without a new contract. He'd only be 26 in 2026.

Just now, battle2heaven said:

To expand, if you trade for him this offseason you can either give 2023 3rd, or 2024 2nd.

2023 - he's a backup, getting acclimated to the system and rehabbing from his injury

2024 - he's the starter, exercise 5th yr option, kirk is gone. hopefully he takes off

2025 - under contract with 5th yr option

2026 - franchise tag 1

2027 - franchise tag 2

if goes according to plan, you don't even get to 2026 without a new contract. He'd only be 26 in 2026.

And then you would have an offensive core of Lance, JJ, Hock, Darrisaw, O'Neil all in their primes.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I assumed the Niners would want a lot more than a third for Lance.  If that is the price, the Vikings should jump at that trade.

want, and get are two different things. A couple of big risks working against Lance

1. Only 2 more cheap years for the team trading for him.

2. coming back off a gruesome ankle injury.

3. no one even knows if hes a dude yet. hardly played in college, hardly played his first 2 years in the league. he's all projection and upside at the moment; real risk there.