Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

47 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I was thinking he had a few more games than that this season and was looking so so.  I didn't realize it was the 2nd game that he got hurt. 

Well, the coaching staff apparently felt he looked good enough to start the season instead of Garoppolo, right?  So, one would think they value him enough to keep him around unless someone pries him away with a decent offer.

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

Well, the coaching staff apparently felt he looked good enough to start the season instead of Garoppolo, right?  So, one would think they value him enough to keep him around unless someone pries him away with a decent offer.

Yeah there is no reason to let him go for anything less than a1st imo. Shanahan has had to play with a lot of backup qbs and knows how valuable they are

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I'm a huge fan of Lance, but if he was actually available for a 3rd, we would be really stupid to not pull the trigger. A cost-controlled QB with insane potential would be too much to pass up.

I’d do it but would SF really give him away for a third? Biggest concern with Lance seems to be he really hasn’t played much the last five years, going back to college even. Didn’t he miss a year? 

• Like 1

The Buccaneers will interview Vikings receivers coach Keenan McCardell for their offensive coordinator position, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

The team has scheduled an interview with Jaguars passing game coordinator Jim Bob Cooter for Thursday and have asked for permission to interview Broncos passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach Klint Kubiak.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/report-bucs-plan-to-interview-keenan-mccardell/

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d do it but would SF really give him away for a third? Biggest concern with Lance seems to be he really hasn’t played much the last five years, going back to college even. Didn’t he miss a year? 

I can't see them giving him away for anything less than a 1st, personally.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Isn't Purdy looking a lot better in the same offense? I think Lance is a long ways away yet and coming off of an injury

Purdy has looked better in that offense in the limited sample size.  Lance has physical tools that Purdy will never have.  Nobody knows if Lance will successfully translate those skills into the NFL, but the chance is there. I would give up a third round pick on the chance.

Not many third round picks will ever have that kind of upward potential. All third round picks have a pretty decent chance to never amount to more than a good backup in the league and some never even become that.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Buccaneers will interview Vikings receivers coach Keenan McCardell for their offensive coordinator position, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

The team has scheduled an interview with Jaguars passing game coordinator Jim Bob Cooter for Thursday and have asked for permission to interview Broncos passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach Klint Kubiak.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/report-bucs-plan-to-interview-keenan-mccardell/

Sounds like it is only a matter of time before we lose McCardell to an OC position.

I know it is a long shot but if we could get Leftwich on staff that would be great. Vikings would be wise to take advantage of the newer rule regarding comp picks for losing minority candidates to HC/GM positions. I just highly doubt that Leftwich would take less than an OC job next season.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

Sounds like it is only a matter of time before we lose McCardell to an OC position.

I know it is a long shot but if we could get Leftwich on staff that would be great. Vikings would be wise to take advantage of the newer rule regarding comp picks for losing minority candidates to HC/GM positions. I just highly doubt that Leftwich would take less than an OC job next season.

Considering how poor the Buccaneers offense was this year, I can't imagine it's going to be easy for him to get another OC job right away.  He may have to take a lesser role.  

9 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Why not? As outlined later in my post, for the possibility he gets hired away as a HC.

HIs HC possibilities have taken a major hit that I'm not even sure another year as an OC could come back from. It'll take more than that.  Plus, there's currently no opening on the coaching staff that he could fill anyway...even if McCardell gets an OC job and he has no existing relationship with anyone currently on the staff either, not even McCardell, who left the Jaguars 2 years before Leftwich was even drafted.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1