Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jeremey Fowler of ESPN reported on Thursday that the Los Angeles Chargers have requested to interview Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Wes Phillips for their vacant offensive coordinator position but he declined to interview to stay in Minnesota.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/19/minnesota-vikings-chargers-offensive-coordinator-wes-phillips/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2yBl6ojHlDde5EX6c44CG2erM2R5KHyTMHSsFCEeCb_xWbYS3icmtsjWU

what do we need to build the offense even better?

Not surprised he turned down LAC. Stanley might be gone next year and Wes wouldn't gain much beside play-calling experience. 

For Vikings offense

• Ingram must develop into a reliable OG 
  • Center position if can't resign Bradbury
  • A deep threat WR to stretch the field vertically. That element was missing some. Didn't see many go routes from Kirk that wasn't going to JJ. 
  • Like 3

Let's say DT is the #1 concern . . . why?  I'm thinking the only interior D-linemen that are safe to return are Harrison Phillips and Khyiris Tonga.  I'm prefacing this looking at it from the 4-3 base front.  I like Tomlinson, but he may command too much for him to return, plus when you compare his production & injury history vs the production of Tonga, they impacted games similarly.  So, why not pay the guy on the rookie contract?

The others, Lynch, Bullock and Blacklock didn't quite inspire me.  One or two flashes over a 17 or 18 game stretch does not constitute job security.  I'm not sure any of them are set to be FAs until after next year.  If, one of these three could develop into a 3-Tech who performs like a K-Will or John Randle, we'd all be happy.

Considering we're likely sticking to 3-4, I think Otomewo can take a huge step forward in year 2 at DE.  Lynch at the other DE could be nice, but that'd be a camp battle to watch. 

So, draftwise, if we let Tomlinson walk, I really thing the Vikes need to get another ~330 lb+ DT/NT.  This leads us to watching how Siaki Ika, Mazi Smith, Gervon Dexter, Jermaine Lole, Justin Rogers, Jerrod Clark, Robert Cooper and Jayson Jones perform throughout the pre-draft process.  I'm thinking only Ika is a 1st Rd consideration.  The rest of these guys would be opportunity-cost, risk-assessments . . . enter KAM, KOC and a really good, new DC.

• Like 1

It should be notable that Tonga is the same age as Harrison Phillips, yet has been in the league 3 years less.  However, they need depth and starters at all of the positions on the line, as the only one guaranteed to start is Phillips.  While we may expect growth from Ezesi and others, they shouldn't be counted on to grow enough to start.  So, I'm open to drafting either.  For me, that line is the highest of priority, even more than LBs.  

• Like 2

I could be off on my numbers, but including guys on IR, it looks like the Vikes have 23 defenders on their rookie contracts.  Of the veterans, Z. Smith and Hunter are premier players and I think Harrison Smith is more than capable, as well as being Ring-of-Honor worthy.  I'd love for PP to be re-signed because he made plays this year and is extremely smart.  

What it tells me is we'll be rolling with a lot of young, new blood on D next year.   The D could/should see a new MLB (and maybe OLB), nickle corner, DT, DE, and if Hitman and PP aren't back Safety and CB1.  

Changing 2 or 3 defensive starters per year is probably a league-wide norm.  Changing 5 or 6 starter doesn't normally bode well, but really, could the Vikings do worse?

4 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I could be off on my numbers, but including guys on IR, it looks like the Vikes have 23 defenders on their rookie contracts.  Of the veterans, Z. Smith and Hunter are premier players and I think Harrison Smith is more than capable, as well as being Ring-of-Honor worthy.  I'd love for PP to be re-signed because he made plays this year and is extremely smart.  

What it tells me is we'll be rolling with a lot of young, new blood on D next year.   The D could/should see a new MLB (and maybe OLB), nickle corner, DT, DE, and if Hitman and PP aren't back Safety and CB1.  

Changing 2 or 3 defensive starters per year is probably a league-wide norm.  Changing 5 or 6 starter doesn't normally bode well, but really, could the Vikings do worse?

They could not do worse.