Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

35 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

A good example of how many thought he was elite..... It just isn't easy to be right about most QBs 

Physically he probably still could be, but he's barely played any significant or meaningful football in 2 years.  He voluntarily sat on the bench all of 2021 and was suspended for over half the season this year.  

Edited by swede700

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Physically he probably still could be, but he's barely played any significant or meaningful football in 2 years.  He voluntarily sat on the bench all of 2021 and was suspended for over half the season this year.  

Sure.... He could be. We'll see. I hope he sucks eggs.

I'm thinking this weekend will show us how truly effective Brock Purdy is.   Yes, he's a rock star right now . . . And he's going to face the Cowboys' pass rush and defense  called by Dan Quinn.  Who he's faced until this point?  Laboratory level conditions.

So, I'm thinking the 49ers will be holding on to Lance another year.  As I stated previously, this OLine growing together will dictate the offense's success.  I would not trade for Lance or Lamar or any QB due a 2nd contract.   You'll overpay for "young guy still growing and what they could be."

I'd mulch rather have an established OLine, stud skill guys, and put a rookie in there who understands how to handle moments . . . As in details, one at a time.

Much like happened for Tom Brady and Big Ben, have a vaunted defense (Top5) to put the pressure on opponents . . . Let the offense just-go-play.  Oh wait, thats what Purdy has this moment in time . . . 

On 1/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, swede700 said:

Extending him is not a mistake when you have no succession plan and the team isn't in a position to draft that successor.  

That’s our fault and why wouldn’t they have a plan in place? It will cost you because of previous moves, but you need to have a successor to Cousins now.  His decline can’t be waited on.  And since he is signed through another year, it only makes sense to draft his replacement now. 

That’s the plan.  Draft the guy that plays after he is gone.  Extending a 35 year old QB that has played fairly well in 2022 but already cost a bit too much is silly.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Morlee said:

That’s our fault and why wouldn’t they have a plan in place? It will cost you because of previous moves, but you need to have a successor to Cousins now.  His decline can’t be waited on.  And since he is signed through another year, it only makes sense to draft his replacement now. 

That’s the plan.  Draft the guy that plays after he is gone.  Extending a 35 year old QB that has played fairly well in 2022 but already cost a bit too much is silly.  

So who is worth it to draft at #23? Or when we inevitably trade back for more pick, who is worth taking to succeed Cousins? I could maybe see Anthony Richardson, but the guy cannot throw.

I think the team is in rebuild mode. Yeah they may have won more games this year but really the team was the exact same as last years squad but just ended up having luck fall their way. They couldn’t beat the good teams and they played down to bad teams just squeaking by to get a W. They embraced that identity and lost yet another meaningful game in the playoffs. Barely winning games ultimately caught up to them. 

Weak leaders like Kendricks needs to go. You can’t have the softest and most sensitive guy on the team playing the one position where you need the exact opposite. I called it out and everyone got upset but it’s just the truth. You need dogs not puppies.

Then, they need to get rid of Kendricks, Hicks, Cook, Thielen, Tomlinson, Hunter, Z Smith, H Smith and might as well add the 3rd Smith, Irv.  

That’s 1/3 of all starters. Definitely in rebuild mode. Not even including the CBs. 

15 hours ago, Morlee said:

I don't disagree that they need to have a successor, but I disagree that they need to get him now.  I don't see the immediate urgency.  The immediate urgency is to improve the defense.  The successor can wait a year...and he doesn't cost too much any longer, as he's 10th in the league right now, ahead of Goff and Wentz...and soon to possibly even get passed by Daniel Jones and definitely by Lamar Jackson, Burrow and Herbert.      

12 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

The "truth" according to who exactly?

The truth is whatever their perception of the truth is.  Apparently, because Kendricks is not **** Butkus, then he's "soft."  You know he's soft because didn't like being yelled at by Zimmer.  He's too touchy-feely.  🙄

Unfortunately, some people will just have to learn to understand that that era of society is gone.  That the era of being screamed at or being criticized by coaches is gone.  It probably never truly was productive, but it was just how it was and players handled it.  Today's players don't accept that.  It doesn't make them soft or sensitive, despite what some think.  It actually makes them more mature. 

Kendricks took a step back this year, but it wasn't because he was soft or sensitive...it's because almost everything was new to him.  It was the first year he had ever run in a 3-4 base defense (UCLA was also a 4-3) and it was the first year he wore the headset the majority of the year (Barr generally was the one that did so).  Despite all that change, he still managed to lead the team in tackles and was in better position more often than Hicks was (even though it still wasn't adequate).  

• Like 3