Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

On 1/20/2023 at 6:48 AM, Cearbhall said:

That would be great if the defense could find someone that fits the bill, but with the general pussification of society that would be a challenge.  The Vikings are going to have to learn to win with the young people available to them.  People from the time where men were men are too old to be of any use on the field.

We aren’t going to talk like this. Warned and reported. 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 8:07 AM, vike daddy said:

if only we had someone to look up, to set the tone for others. we need... a... a... sort of... a... Grabber in Chief. you know, a real man.

*sarcasm off now*

good gawd, man, you write some of the stupidest things here. we're a football forum, not a garbage can for socio-political whinings.

we got that sort of guy back to back, but then neither of them are football coaches!

Right now the Vikings have limited cap, a good offense and a aging bad defense. 2023 The Vikings need to strip down the defense to the studs and start over. The offense is going to carry team and cap resources should go there. Trying to spend or both sides of the ball in these situations never work because the defense is not a player away.  So Vikings offense reload with mindset on 2024, Vikings defense rebuild and as a team redo with the mindset of 2024 is the year of SB or bust with Kirk or the team is built to transition into life after Kirk with QB tbd. Offense is young outside Adam and Kirk.

22 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Keyboard warriors calling professional football players soft continues to be hilarious. 

Clearly, if you read my posts you know what type of “soft” I was referring to. Which would make your above “point”, well, pointless.  

You labeling me a keyboard warrior without knowing anything about me — Sure. Thought this forum had a little more sense and could discuss things without name-calling. 

Jeremey Fowler of ESPN reported on Thursday that the Los Angeles Chargers have requested to interview Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Wes Phillips for their vacant offensive coordinator position but he declined to interview to stay in Minnesota.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/19/minnesota-vikings-chargers-offensive-coordinator-wes-phillips/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2yBl6ojHlDde5EX6c44CG2erM2R5KHyTMHSsFCEeCb_xWbYS3icmtsjWU

what do we need to build the offense even better?

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Jeremey Fowler of ESPN reported on Thursday that the Los Angeles Chargers have requested to interview Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Wes Phillips for their vacant offensive coordinator position but he declined to interview to stay in Minnesota.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/19/minnesota-vikings-chargers-offensive-coordinator-wes-phillips/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2yBl6ojHlDde5EX6c44CG2erM2R5KHyTMHSsFCEeCb_xWbYS3icmtsjWU

New Center, growth from Ingram, deep threat WR, improve our screen game, and not call 40 yard pass plays on 85% of our 3rd and Short plays. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

New Center, growth from Ingram, deep threat WR, improve our screen game, and not call 40 yard pass plays on 85% of our 3rd and Short plays. 

I hate those long passes on 3rd and short. Possession is the key. Also, dumb trick plays. You have JJ and Hockenson..... Use them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Part of me really wants to believe one more full season with the current O-Line would give them the juice to be truly dominant, consistenly.  But, we won't know how well O'Neiil's and Schlottman's recoveries will go and maybe both Bradbury and Udoh leave?   I'd like to think we have Brandel and Schlottman will hang tough as quality depth.  So, to me, taking another step or two up the pyramid for the O-Line is #1 for making the offense even better.

Want a unit that does it all . . . Run block, opening holes at will . . . Pass block to the point of giving the QB a clean pocket to make a quality throw - or lanes to run if rushers get free.  Every once in a while, I want to see them block a screen perfectly.

40 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Want a unit that does it all . . . Run block, opening holes at will . . . Pass block to the point of giving the QB a clean pocket to make a quality throw - or lanes to run if rushers get free.  Every once in a while, I want to see them block a screen perfectly.

I think every team wants what you want.  However, how many teams actually get that kind of line? Not many.   It's one of the problems with the "modern" NFL...there aren't enough good players or coaches or time to develop a competent, much less dominant offensive line, in my opinion.

Except at center, I suspect that the Vikings starters on OL are as good as most lines in the leagues.  With that being said, I think it behooves the Vikings organization to prioritize linebackers and cornerbacks in the 1st and 3rd rounds.