Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

if only we had someone to look up, to set the tone for others. we need... a... a... sort of... a... Grabber in Chief. you know, a real man.

*sarcasm off now*

good gawd, man, you write some of the stupidest things here. we're a football forum, not a garbage can for socio-political whinings.

Hey man, I am not the one that brought up kids nowadays not being able to handle being treated like men. I was talking about football in the context of that point having been brought up.  I hold firm in my belief that the team needs to figure out how to win within the situation they are in today. Every other team is in the same situation and I don't think they are making excuses like that.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2023 at 5:23 PM, Ozzy said:

It is one of the best center classes in recent years, very solid group and I feel it would be foolish for the Vikings to pass on that.  And if Sedrick Van Pran declares it would make it even more deep of a group and he would be maybe the 5th or 6th best center out of these guys.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, swede700 said:

The truth is whatever their perception of the truth is.  Apparently, because Kendricks is not **** Butkus, then he's "soft."  You know he's soft because didn't like being yelled at by Zimmer.  He's too touchy-feely.  🙄

Unfortunately, some people will just have to learn to understand that that era of society is gone.  That the era of being screamed at or being criticized by coaches is gone.  It probably never truly was productive, but it was just how it was and players handled it.  Today's players don't accept that.  It doesn't make them soft or sensitive, despite what some think.  It actually makes them more mature. 

Kendricks took a step back this year, but it wasn't because he was soft or sensitive...it's because almost everything was new to him.  It was the first year he had ever run in a 3-4 base defense (UCLA was also a 4-3) and it was the first year he wore the headset the majority of the year (Barr generally was the one that did so).  Despite all that change, he still managed to lead the team in tackles and was in better position more often than Hicks was (even though it still wasn't adequate).  

Eh, Zimmer’s way of doing things works.  He might be the best defensive mind in football even still. I do see Kendricks and others like him weak-minded to a degree.  Do I think yelling and criticizing player(s) for no reason is necessary?  Not at all. But waiting until he is gone to finally speak up as a “leader”… 

However, Zimmer has a track record for defense. I trust how he does things.  If that hurts your feelings, then go to a team that speaks to you nicely and cares about soft criticism. 

I don’t feel his play declined because he is weak-minded though.  I think he just isn’t that fast or as agile anymore. 

• Like 2

You know who didn’t think Kendricks was soft? Mike Zimmer. The coach who had him as his starting middle linebacker for seven seasons. 

You know who else doesn’t think he’s soft? His teammates who made him captain. 

This “soft” narrative from Vikings fans seems to have reared its head around the summer of 2020 when he spoke his mind about other matters. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Morlee said:

Eh, Zimmer’s way of doing things works.  He might be the best defensive mind in football even still. I do see Kendricks and others like him weak-minded to a degree.  Do I think yelling and criticizing player(s) for no reason is necessary?  Not at all. But waiting until he is gone to finally speak up as a “leader”… 

However, Zimmer has a track record for defense. I trust how he does things.  If that hurts your feelings, then go to a team that speaks to you nicely and cares about soft criticism. 

His track record over the last two seasons is the same as Donatell’s. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Morlee said:

I don’t feel his play declined because he is weak-minded though.  I think he just isn’t that fast or as agile anymore. 

If Kendricks wasn't all soft and sensitive he wouldn't be upset with Zimmer's approach.

How you say it doesn't really matter it's what's being said.

Most people place the blame on how people say things to remove accountability from themselves. 

Let's move on past this bum of a linebacker and get a real one in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

You know who didn’t think Kendricks was soft? Mike Zimmer. The coach who had him as his starting middle linebacker for seven seasons. 

You know who else doesn’t think he’s soft? His teammates who made him captain. 

This “soft” narrative from Vikings fans seems to have reared its head around the summer of 2020 when he spoke his mind about other matters. 

What other matters?  Be specific.  It probably has nothing to do about football doesn’t it?  Wouldn’t be surprised at all if that was your point -___-  

How do you define “soft”?   He and others of his generation are definitely soft in ways. That doesn’t mean that he wasn’t talented. They don’t go hand and hand.  

Have any other non points to needlessly bring up? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

His track record over the last two seasons is the same as Donatell’s. 

And that makes them equivalent to each other as defensive minds, huh? Two seasons of his… how long of a career.. and he is the same as Donatell.  You really don’t have anything of significance to add do you?   You just don’t like your favorite players being called soft.   Too bad, a lot of them are 

8 minutes ago, Morlee said:

And that makes them equivalent to each other as defensive minds, huh? Two seasons of his… how long of a career.. and he is the same as Donatell.  You really don’t have anything of significance to add do you?   You just don’t like your favorite players being called soft.   Too bad, a lot of them are 

In your opinion.  Which a lot of us disagree with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morlee said:

Well, clearly, you’ve contributed nothing that is of significance. Emotional reactions to a player’s personality and beliefs are a “you” thing. Not a real thing. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 4:48 AM, Cearbhall said:

That would be great if the defense could find someone that fits the bill, but with the general pussification of society that would be a challenge.  The Vikings are going to have to learn to win with the young people available to them.  People from the time where men were men are too old to be of any use on the field.

OMG. Just horrible. 

• Like 2

I gotta say I'm of the old school defense mentality . . . Kinda stereotypical of how Hollywood portrays Marines on Full Metal Jacket, right?   There is something to be reknowned of the Ray Lewis, John Randle, Ronnie Lott, and Jack Lambert types . . . First, they come off as crazy, and nobody really WANTS to have a piece of that attitude.  Second, for their eras, they brought the right physical gifts to back up the antics.

None of them were less cerebral just because they were animated.  Kendricks has a confidence and calmness about him that teammates like.   I think he used to make more drive-killing plays than he does now.  I think losing his running mate, Barr, affected his comfort level on the field.  Do I think Kendricks is a poor player now?   No, i really don't, but he doesn't, and never really has, exuded a craziness opponents would make out as an aura to fear.  

I think the Vikings could use a killer-instinct MLB like a Raquon Smith.  But, do I want a guy that makes some grand-stand jesters everytime he makes a tackle 8-yards downfield?   No - I want the guy who makes a play every drive to stop the opponent.  I want a guy who hits, wraps and drives the ball carrier . . . Someone who's as apt to make a pick as sack the QB on a blitz.   And then, he gets those D-Linemen and DBs all fired up for their piece of the action.  

Kendricks does most everything intellectually correct on the field, yet he comes off too nice to be the guy that'll take the game over.