Rebuild, Reload....redo? 2023 Offseason Discussion

gopherwrestler

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

OK, so the NFL should contract to 6 teams and have 26 minor league development teams, because there will never be more than 5 HOF-caliber QB's in the league.

The "if you're not first, you're last" mentality is so juvenile. You can still have successful seasons without being the one team that wins the SB. 

Not really sure what you're getting at here.

If the Vikings want to win a superbowl we need a young elite cheap QB. Kirk is none of these things

Where do you get a young elite cheap QB? The draft.

On 1/16/2023 at 4:12 PM, wcblack34 said:

People quickly forget the QB purgatory this franchise has endured since Tarkenton. Or even this century. We had 2ish good seasons from Culpepper. One great season from Favre. One above mediocre season from Teddy, and one unsustainable season from Case Keenum. 

That's it. The rest was littered wiht Frerotte, T-Jack, Ponder, Bradford, and a whole heap of garbage bin guys. 

Kirk has brought us the most stability we've had at the position in 30+ years.

Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham had some success here too lol

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

Warren Moon and Randall Cunningham had some success here too lol

They had success, but they were at the tail-ends of their career when they were here...but you wouldn't know since you weren't born yet.  😂  I still have my NFL 75th Anniversary Warren Moon Vikings jersey.  Can't fit it, but I have it.  😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He was Washington's OC when they drafted Haskins.

Oh right I forgot about him.  I wonder if that will influence the direction he wants to go. 

Also didn't the Wilfs want them to draft a QB when they drafted Mond? I wonder how they feel about it this time around

Every team in the NFL wants "a franchise QB."  Every team in the NFL wants that QB to be paid on a rookie deal.  

I think this Vikings squad was really beefed-up well by Spielman spending draft picks on the O-Line . . .  I can remember back 8-10 years ago when PCP and I were clamoring for the Vikes to draft an OG and OTs . . . they kept drafting other positions until 4-5 years ago.  Now, the team has 5 guys that were 1st or 2nd round picks on the O-Line.  We need to keep these guys and let them develop a chemistry and continuity.  The future looks great for anyone lining up behind a group of guys that will control the LOS.

If KAM pays JJ and each of the O-linemen, it kind of goes without saying, money has to get freed-up from somewhere.  To me, the obvious answer is not extending Cousins on guaranteed contracts at $40M/yr.  I'm thinking they need to do what Seattle did 10 years ago . . . draft a couple rookies and have a veteran compete for the job.  In that case, the winner was Russell Wilson.  Question is, in 2024's QB class, who's the guy most likely to pull that off?  

Comparatively, the defense has to be something complimentary to the offense.  I remember back to when Jared Allen had 22 sacks and the Williams Wall was holding offenses to 70 yrds/game rushing.  Most of that was due to the absolutely horrible DB play back then . . . opponents could pass at will, so why run the ball.  The only thing they had to worry about was how many times Jared was going to hit their QB.  This defense can't stop the pass or the run right now -- not consistently.  So, some resources need to get straightened out.

I feel like this is going to be an off-season like when Denny Green came in and the Vikes traded a couple star defensive players to get draft picks.  That team toiled at 9-10 wins a year for 7 or 8 years after the Hershel trade --- and they would've been worse if the O-line wasn't what they were.  That team kept signing has-been, HOF-level QBs though.  This team needs to avoid that situation.  

So, Keep the O-line!  Draft QBs in 2024 who have great character, outstanding football intelligence, it, a good arm and useable legs.  Finally, invest in the D.  If that's a mountain of a DT, a rangy intense LB or another CB, I don't really care . . . just get some youth.  I don't want to see Hitman or Hunter leave, but everyone else on the D is fair game for trade or cut.   

• Like 1

The entire premise that you cannot win the Super Bowl without one of the top-5 QB's is just flat out wrong. I'm so sick of hearing it.

Kirk Cousins is better than Matthew Stafford, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer.... I'd argue he is better or equal to Eli Manning, and if he is having a great year is in the same range as Russell Wilson or Roethlisberger.

Since 2000 (22 years), the SB has been won:

• 12 times by clear Tier-1 elite QBs (Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes)
  • 5 times by 2nd-tier QBs (E. Manning, Wilson, Roethlisberger)
  • 5 times by non-elite QBs (Dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, Foles, Stafford)

That is only 55% of the time being won by a truly elite, game-changing QB (and half of them are by Tom Brady, who is incomparable). 45% of the time it was won by QB's that are comparable or worse than Kirk Cousins. 

Kirk Cousins is not what kept the Vikings from a Super Bowl winning this year, or any other year. 

• Like 4

I don't think the Vikings have to draft their next qb this year but I hope that they do their due diligence on the prospects and be ready to draft a qb if one happens to fall in the draft that they really like.  Or maybe make a small trade up.  I hope they don't force a qb pick though

24 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How are the 49ers so good that they can trade a bunch for a qb and still have enough talent that they have a good chance of going to the super bowl with a rookie QB that no one else wanted in the draft? Are they that good at drafting with great coaching?

Yes.  

They have an elite defense which was largely built in-house via the draft and a HC who is basically a QB whisperer because he can vary his play-calling to the strengths of the QB he has to play with.    

And how can the 49ers trade a bunch of picks to get up to get Trey Lance...because they have a bunch of them.  Despite trading up to get Lance (including this year's first rounder) and McCaffrey, they will still likely have 11 picks because of all the comp picks they are expected to get because of smart hiring (of coaches and GMs) and smart drafting/player development.

And funny, who spent part of his career learning in that system? Kwesi.  Rome was not built in a day...neither will this roster.  And you didn't see the 49ers trading a bunch of picks right off the bat to draft a QB.  They traded a 2nd round pick to get Jimmy G late in Shanahan's first yr.  It was 5 years into Shanahan's tenure that they traded up to get Lance.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yes.  

They have an elite defense which was largely built in-house via the draft and a HC who is basically a QB whisperer because he can vary his play-calling to the strengths of the QB he has to play with.    

And how can the 49ers trade a bunch of picks to get up to get Trey Lance...because they have a bunch of them.  Despite trading up to get Lance (including this year's first rounder) and McCaffrey, they will still likely have 11 picks because of all the comp picks they are expected to get because of smart hiring (of coaches and GMs) and smart drafting/player development.

And funny, who spent part of his career learning in that system? Kwesi.  Rome was not built in a day...neither will this roster.

Ironically, if Niners win the Superbowl with Purdy, I imagine he's gunna be the dude going forward.

I would love to get a shot at acquiring Lance....

• Like 2

piggy back on my last comment, I think niners will have a tough time obtaining a lot of value for Lance because of 1 big reason:

1. he'll only have 2 more cheap years left on his rookie deal, then the expensive 5 year option. This on top of the fact that no one yet knows if he's even a dude yet.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Ironically, if Niners win the Superbowl with Purdy, I imagine he's gunna be the dude going forward.

I would love to get a shot at acquiring Lance....

It will certainly generate questions about what to do.  It'd be hard to Wally Pipp Trey Lance, but if that does put him on the block, it would only benefit the 49ers even more with draft picks, because unlike Kirk, he would generate multiple pick offers, because he's only turning 23 in 4 months.

Edit:  We may not know whether he's a dude yet, but because he's only turning 23, that gives the new team plenty of time to still develop that talent.

Edited by swede700