2022 Divisional Round: NFC 6) New York Giants @ 1) Philadelphia Eagles

notthatbluestuff

Who wins?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Giants
    • Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/22/2023 at 01:15 AM

Any examples of a team blowing out a team in December, and then losing playoff rematch? I know in 2009 Packers killed Cardinals in finale, then lost to them next week in OC, but Cards pulled guys early in finale since it was meaningless.

Just curious. Definitely examples of teams dominating regular season game (s) but losing postseason rematch (2020 Bucs most recent, lost 3-38 to Saints in week 9 then won the rematch)… but as late as week 14?

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Any examples of a team blowing out a team in December, and then losing playoff rematch? I know in 2009 Packers killed Cardinals in finale, then lost to them next week in OC, but Cards pulled guys early in finale since it was meaningless.

Just curious. Definitely examples of teams dominating regular season game (s) but losing postseason rematch (2020 Bucs most recent, lost 3-38 to Saints in week 9 then won the rematch)… but as late as week 14?

That's somewhat relevant. The Giants pulled starters in the 2nd half of that first game, and they didn't start anybody in the 2nd game. 

19 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

It wasn't December, but the 49ers beat the Rams 31-10 in November 2021, then won 27-24 in a must win game in January 2022, then lost 20-17 in the NFCCG. 

Thta being said, the stats still favor the Eagles. If you beat a team twice, you're more likely than not to beat them a 3rd time

The Giants seem to have fully unleashed Daniel Jones as a runner and that caused some problems for the Vikings yesterday.  

My main worry with the Eagles is how healthy are Hurts/Johnson?  

Edited by 49ersfan

21 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

2012 Ravens lost 34-17 in Week 15 to Broncos. Beat them in playoffs on way to SB.

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

My main worry with the Eagles is how healthy are Hurts/Johnson?  

Injuries are important , especially to a QB's throwing shoulder and best OL RT.   Cincinati have lost 3 starting OL of all things, imagine that.  Giants appear healthy,  so this could be a close game actually especially if the Giants can run the ball and continue to do so with Barkley. 

I think we can win this game. It will take an extraordinary effort and probably some luck. Saquon will have to be a factor. I don't think the Eagles' run defense is the fatal Achilles' heel some writers make it out to be, but you can run on them. If their defensive line doesn't blow you off the ball first. 

And as the old saying goes it is hard to beat the same team three times in a season, so let's make it as hard on them as we can. 😉

Both teams are completely different than they were in Week 14. Giants were banged up and missing several key players on offense and defense. Eagles have cooled off the last few weeks and clearly don't look as dominant as they did earlier in the season.

This will likely be a very close, hard fought divisional game. Eagles are still the more talented team and certainly have the edge. But the Giants have a solid shot to win with the way Jones and Co. has heated up these last few weeks.

50 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's somewhat relevant. The Giants pulled starters in the 2nd half of that first game, and they didn't start anybody in the 2nd game. 

That was after it was 41-14 in the 4th so not sure what you’re getting at here.

26 minutes ago, Acgott said:

2010 Patriots won 45-3 against Jets on December 6. Lost to them in divisional round.

Wow. Although Jets did beat them in 1st matchup, but that was week 2 and definitely written off by gametime. I remember the magnitude of that upset.

I was wondering if this would be some kind of unprecedented loss for Eagles (convincing December W, playoff L) but seems to be plenty of examples.

Eagles will have Goedert this time which is big after seeing Minny’s TEs have their way. Although a ???% Lane and ???% Hurts are obviously the keys to the offense. Giants have Adoree and Xavier which helps, but Minny had their way, and I definitely think we’re on a different level than that offense. I think there is just a serious talent mismatch on this side of ball, assuming Hurts is himself (which might not be true, we’ll see). 

I think Giants will be more run heavy this week as that is where we are weaker, and try to dominate TOP and force this into being a 1 possession game in 4th. If that happens I’m sure they’ll win since they get some sort of magical boost in playoffs, so very important for Eagles that they can get out to a quick lead and force Giants into throwing.