Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

Just now, battle2heaven said:

There is one candidate, that we know of, that turned the Vikings down. And that is Evero.

Ben Goessling confirmed Desai took himself out because he saw he wasn't of the Vikings top choices. They could have offered Nielsen before the Falcons, but they didn't.

I've been seeing this a lot everywhere. It's only been Evero. 

IMO, there's little to no difference between any of that.  Desai could have waited it out and been the 3rd choice.  He hasn't even been offered the Denver job yet.  In essence, he turned the VIkings down.  

• Like 1

I really wanted Evero he felt like the a great fit. However, his choice made too much sense with the Panthers. I do feel like Vikings fan are being a little too impatient. The NFL defensive coaching talent is larger than just 4 or 5 candidates.  It's more important to get the right coach than hire one quickly. There will be a rebuild on the defensive side, need someone to develop young players and create a defensive identity. Honestly, Vikings don't need a DC until maybe the end of next week or early the following week. I do hope for someone who can bring some new ideas and not beholden to one scheme.  

Edited by dc_vikingfan

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

IMO, there's little to no difference between any of that.  Desai could have waited it out and been the 3rd choice.  He hasn't even been offered the Denver job yet.  In essence, he turned the VIkings down.  

He turned the Vikings after the Vikings turned him down last year, and then dragged their feet this year with leaks of him not even being in their top 2.

It's understandable. But you know, and I know, and everyone knows, If the Vikings had offered the Desai the week they interviewed all their candidates, he would be the Vikings DC right now.

So in the end, ok, Desai said no. But the Vikings said no, first. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I really wanted Evero he felt like the a great fit. However, his choice made too much sense with the Panthers. I do feel like Vikings fan are being a little too impatient. The NFL defensive coaching talent is larger than just 4 or 5 candidates.  It's more important to get the right coach than hire one quickly. There will be a rebuild on the defensive side, need someone to develop young players and create a defensive identity. Honestly, Vikings don't need a DC until maybe the end of next week or early the following week. I do hope for someone who can bring some new ideas and not beholden to one scheme.  

I get why he went to the Panthers. Money also talks. Rap said Panthers came in big time. He got a giant deal for a DC.

• Like 2

I wanted Dennard Wilson from the start, but we have not been able to even request an interview from him because the Eagles have move through the entire playoffs, and the only week that Eagles staff could take interviews (that first week they had a bye week, the Vikings were still preparing for the Giants game).

Regardless, it certainly appears that a couple candidates (potential/actual), have not gone in the Vikings direction. There is just a lot unknowns how the potential roster will shape up and that is a risk to these candidates, signing on to an unknown. On top of that, the GM/HC do not have a track record, so they can't really fully ascertain what they might do (or be capable of doing), so its not directly comparable to other teams (that turnover a roster frequently or every couple of years.)

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Can you cite examples of the Vikes being too cute, or not strategizing this well? I mean, what do you know of the inner private processes that support your view?

I mean, what does anybody know of the inner process that goes on within the Viking’s organization? That argument is played out because otherwise, no fan should ever state their opinion, ever.  Or they’ll be called out as not being part of the hiring process. Just a silly way to go about things. I have just as much idea as you.  

My point is that when Flores came here, we should have just signed him instead of waiting for Evero. We are not in a position to put someone as capable as Flores on the back burner. I don’t see Flores going to the mess that is Arizona or Indianapolis. I suppose he could, but he just seems smarter than that imo. 

That’s my opinion at least.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

wanted Dennard Wilson from the start, but we have not been able to even request an interview from him because the Eagles have move through the entire playoffs, and the only week that Eagles staff could take interviews (that first week they had a bye week, the Vikings were still preparing for the Giants game).

Dennard Wilson is a name that some people in the know, have thrown around a bit. I think if this search extends beyond this week, then he's definitely someone they want to speak with.

2 minutes ago, Morlee said:

My point is that when Flores came here, we should have just signed him instead of waiting for Evero

The thing is though, it takes two to tango! Flores still had/has the AZ HC job under consideration. 

And I certainly don't think there were any hard feelings on the Vikngs side after their interview; as the next week later, we see a photo of Kwesi and Flores down at the Senior Bowl being very chummy with one another.

• Like 1

Just now, battle2heaven said:

The thing is though, it takes two to tango! Flores still had/has the AZ HC job under consideration. 

And I certainly don't think there were any hard feelings on the Vikngs side after their interview; as the next week later, we see a photo of Kwesi and Flores down at the Senior Bowl being very chummy with one another.

I agree.  I think if Flores had been dismissed by Arizona as a HC candidate, he would already be the Vikings' DC.  It's in his best interest to wait out the process, unlike a Desai, who really had only DC opportunities.  I still think Desai has made a mistake by zeroing in on the Broncos' job, but he's going to do what he thinks is best for him.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Morlee said:

My point is that when Flores came here, we should have just signed him instead of waiting for Evero.

Flores still has a lawsuit pending against the NFL alleging he was discriminated against in head coaching opportunities. If he takes the Vikings' DC job before the process is complete in Arizona, he kills his case. He is, no doubt, aware of that. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Flores still has a lawsuit pending against the NFL alleging he was discriminated against in head coaching opportunities. If he takes the Vikings' DC job before the process is complete in Arizona, he kills his case. He is, no doubt, aware of that. 

exactly. there are more variables involved in us not having hired Flores already than a dismissive comment like the Vikings played it too "cute" and it backfired.

i feel a comment like that is more based in bias and disgruntlement than a global look at the landscape.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

gawd, you get irritating at times, playing the long suffering Viking fan.

you aren't one.

Its the offseason for us while the season hasn't even ended. Let me soak in my misery until next week lol

Edited by SteelKing728