Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I do think the Minny DC job was/is less attractive to other openings. And the fact they fired the previous DC after one season (might not help that pitch, even if well deserved). Minny is a gamble because they might not know if KAM is going to retain all the old defensive vets, potentially capping any positive defensive gains. Heck KAM & KOC are also risks, plus first place schedule, and low draft capital, lower free agent destination (comparably).

It might be difficult for a new DC to improve the defense within one season.  So, that might be a negative against a new DC in finding a HC job that he missed out on before taking the Vikings DC job.  There is great uncertainty in the situation (cuts forced that aren't published yet).  But I'm sure these candidates are asking Kwesi and KOC what they intend to do with the roster and salary cap situation. How much is released by them and how much the candidates believe it is the full story is unknown and unknowable to the public AND the sports media reporters.

Edited by Purplexing
added salary cap situation clarification
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

My statement isn't pure conjecture because, for example, the Vikings are in a bad salary cap position, have many free agents to sign or allow to leave, and one less draft pick. 

Further, it is factually based speculation that coordinators who are vying for HC jobs are not going to give any priority to a DC position.  Finally, if a defensive position coach or DC is passed up for a HC job this year, there are always HC jobs open every year, including 2024 (pure speculation, but probable based on history of the modern NFL).

Ok. What you were suggesting has been debunked/denied by national and local news outlets. Yet you were asking for proof.

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

It might be difficult for a new DC to improve the defense within one season.  So, that might be a negative against a new DC in finding a HC job that he missed out on before taking the Vikings DC job.  There is great uncertainty in the situation (cuts forced that aren't published yet).  But I'm sure these candidates are asking Kwesi and KOC what they intend to do with the roster and salary cap situation. How much is released by them and how much the candidates believe it is the full story is unknown and unknowable to the public AND the sports media reporters.

All potentially true. 
perhaps KAM and KOC have alluded to a potential direction, and the candidates are not as interested any more. 
Anything is possible

3 hours ago, Purplexing said:

it is factually based speculation that coordinators who are vying for HC jobs are not going to give any priority to a DC position. 

what does this even mean? is it speculating on what the facts are, or factually speculating?

i mean, it sounds akin to the concept of alternate facts, used to support a position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

All potentially true. 
perhaps KAM and KOC have alluded to a potential direction, and the candidates are not as interested any more. 
Anything is possible

I might find a million bucks buried in the back yard tomorrow. Perhaps the people that lived here before me didn’t trust banks. Anything is possible.

• Like 2

Just now, Kparty15 said:

There are a few recent YouTube videos that I watched by Cardinals fans who don’t think that Flores or Evero are very serious candidates anymore.  Most of them really want the Bengals DC.

If they were serious candidates for the Cardinals job, one would think that the Cardinals would have hired one by now. Or at the very least would have moved quicker to the next step. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

There are a few recent YouTube videos that I watched by Cardinals fans who don’t think that Flores or Evero are very serious candidates anymore.  Most of them really want the Bengals DC.

The second interviews for the cards that were released yesterday are Kafka, Glenn and anarumo. 

evero is still in the running for the colts but I think that’s fading too; or he wouldn’t be coming to minny to interview. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Evero or Flores? 

Picking between the two could be a very interesting discussion. 

One thing that’s interesting is how aggressive the defenses of each are. We pointed out Flores in an earlier post, but Evero is also right up there with one of the more aggressive play callers on late down situations. In reality Evero should bring in a similar “scheme” and “concepts” as what Ed had here, just actually using it aggressively and adding some of his own flavor. Flores on the other hand would be a whole new works.

Evero took Fangio’s defensive scheme and revamped it into a more aggressive model. Where Fangio would send three or four in pass-rushing situations, Evero sent four, sometimes five or six rushers if it meant giving Denver’s defense a chance to get off the field. In 2021, Denver’s defense forced a total of 19 turnovers — in 2022 they forced 23. After intercepting 13 passes in 2021, the Broncos snagged 15 this season.

Under Evero, the Broncos maintained their status as the NFL’s best red-zone defense, allowing only 51.1% of opposing teams’ attempts to convert for a score. Denver’s third-down defense (34.1%) ranked second in the league this year. The Broncos’ defense also ranked in the top 10 in net yards per game allowed (7th – 320), yards per play (6th – 5.0), and rushing yards allowed per game (10th – 109.8).

https://milehighsports.com/denver-broncos-sean-payton-should-prioritize-retaining-ejiro-evero-as-defensive-coordinator/amp/

• Like 1

Ok just to recap on where we stand. 

flores

-broncos requested to interview, sources say desai is leading candidate though. 
-not selected (so far) for second round of cardinals hc job.

-still in play for Vikings dc job 

Evero

-Vikings requested interview on Friday. Broncos grant release on Saturday. Vikings look to set up fly in for dc interview early this upcoming week. 
-panthers also requested dc interview: after Vikings request. Evero interviewed for hc gig there before they decided on reich. 
-still in running for colts hc gig, but so are like 7 other candidates. 
-reports are if colts hire morris, rams would want evero to come back and be their dc. 
-reports if Morris gets colt hc job, he wants evero as his dc as well. 

I think the goal is to be the first to bring evero in. Which is what I think they will do. 

vikings need to wrap up the search this week before new teams come into the dc search mix. 

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

Everything from Evero sounds impressive. My biggest concern though is if we have an even slight improvement defensively, say in that 18-24 range, he’s probably getting a HC gig. It’s not a concern to me having good coaches leave, that’s the nature of being a regular playoff contender which should be the goal under KOC. My concern is that this defense needs a complete rebuild, which may require 2-3 years of continuity. Will the DC bailing after one year completely disrupt progress made? Will he bring capable assistant coaches along with him to be the DC in 2024 to promote from within or will they just bail and follow Evero like all of McVays assistants seem to do? These are my concerns with Evero. 

Flores on the other hand is a bit older and given some of his history with the league, will he actually ever get a HC gig again? Calling out owners and team management, even though it may be deserved, is a good way to keep you from actually ascending to HC. Especially if there are claims tied to tanking that otherwise may be hard to actually prove. I feel like he’s more likely to stick around for a 2-3 year defensive rebuild. 

Flores is actually younger than Evero, by about 6 weeks. 

And, I think you’d need to have a successor in place for Flores just as much as you’d need one for Evero. And it may be even more difficult to have that plan in place if you hire Flores compared to Evero. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Flores is actually younger than Evero, by about 6 weeks. 

And, I think you’d need to have a successor in place for Flores just as much as you’d need one for Evero. And it may be even more difficult to have that plan in place if you hire Flores compared to Evero. 

Reality is Flores should be the HC in Arizona and Evero should be the HC in Indy.  

If that happens no clue what they do but either way the roster itself is suspect and the corners have to be absolutely upgraded as does the DL totally.  They need a starting slot corner, probably another starting boundary corner and possibly a starting ILB and a starting DE and possibly NT.  If that is the case that is 5 out of 11 spots need a real starter or an improved starter.

Kris Richard is an option but they have not even interviewed him.  

If they have to settle for Mike Pettine that is just sad.  Maybe Vance Joseph they could get if he is out as the DC in Arizona potentially with a new HC but that might not be the case.