Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

1 minute ago, Purplexing said:

Pettine.

Some delay is likely due to most of the candidates' concern over the status of the defensive roster under contract for 2023 and beyond, the defensive free agents, the injuries to Cine, Booth, ... and the Vikings overall salary cap situation.  Wouldn't you be concerned about joining an organization that has so many problems to be resolved?

It might be wise to avoid candidates who have HCing aspirations.  If they are qualified for a HC job now, and fail this year, it's possible they'd leave next offseason.  The process of finding a DC one or two years henceforth at that time to take over a defensive roster rebuild after a 1 or 2 year rebuild, 2023-24, by someone who may have held a different philosophy may be equally complex and problematic.

Man, none of this is accurate, lol. 

I am of the belief that you want a coordinator that is viewed as a future HC. That means you aren't hiring some mediocre jabroni that no body wants other than you. Sure, it sucks to have turnover. However, that means you are most likely hiring someone' that will put a dominant group together. Unlike like Donny boy.

Edited by AP_allday2869

22 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Jim Freaking Leonhard should have been interviewed.

Would have been interesting. I also wonder if he is interested in the NFL. 

I realize KOC and him were on the same team for a while with the Jets but maybe they never really communicated. Or even got along. Obviously either the staff or even Jim could have not been interested.

It was pretty public knowledge he was leaving Wisconsin.

3 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Pettine.

Some delay is likely due to most of the candidates' concern over the status of the defensive roster under contract for 2023 and beyond, the defensive free agents, the injuries to Cine, Booth, ... and the Vikings overall salary cap situation.  Wouldn't you be concerned about joining an organization that has so many problems to be resolved?

It might be wise to avoid candidates who have HCing aspirations.  If they are qualified for a HC job now, and fail this year, it's possible they'd leave next offseason.  The process of finding a DC one or two years from now to take over a defensive roster rebuild after a 1 or 2 year rebuild, 2023-24, by someone who may have held a different philosophy may be equally complex and problematic.

I think think Pettine is outside the top 5, and if we don’t get Flores/Evero, we’ll be interviewing more candidates 2 days after the superbowl. 

I do think the Minny DC job was/is less attractive to other openings. And the fact they fired the previous DC after one season (might not help that pitch, even if well deserved). Minny is a gamble because they might not know if KAM is going to retain all the old defensive vets, potentially capping any positive defensive gains. Heck KAM & KOC are also risks, plus first place schedule, and low draft capital, lower free agent destination (comparably).

Minny needs to wait until they are one of the last options for potential candidates  

What if a potential candidate gives Donatel a call to see how Vikings upper management is (everyone knows everyone),will Donatel give glowing remarks of KAM and ownership, or might he say, ownership just didn’t want to move on from vets and i was hamstrung what could be done. i wouldn’t expect any different at the moment. 

Edited by CriminalMind

23 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think think Pettine is outside the top 5, and if we don’t get Flores/Evero, we’ll be interviewing more candidates 2 days after the superbowl. 

I do think the Minny DC job was/is less attractive to other openings. And the fact they fired the previous DC after one season (might not help that pitch, even if well deserved). Minny is a gamble because they might not know if KAM is going to retain all the old defensive vets, potentially capping any positive defensive gains. Heck KAM & KOC are also risks, plus first place schedule, and low draft capital, lower free agent destination (comparably).

Minny needs to wait until they are one of the last options for potential candidates  

What if a potential candidate gives Donatel a call to see how Vikings upper management is (everyone knows everyone),will Donatel give glowing remarks of KAM and ownership, or might he say, ownership just didn’t want to move on from vets and i was hamstrung what could be done. i wouldn’t expect any different at the moment. 

Or he could say they were great. They fired a 65 year old coach after 1 year of finishing 31st in the NFL after a 13 win season because of the defense. 

Im willing to bet in the conversations with the coaches hired they are talking about their ideas and future of the franchise. Their not just interviewing them asking “why do you think you would make a good defensive coordinator in Minnesota”.

Hell, it’s been stated in the past some coaches are even interviewed just to gain some intel on other teams and see what they can learn. 

A defensive coach getting hired doesn’t have a ton to lose year one coming here. If he can magically work the defense to a top 20 defense he’s probably getting looked at as a HC considerations again the next year. There’s a fair chance this team will be using their top 25 pick on defense, and maybe even their first 2 picks for all we know. 

The team has a shot of entering the year with 2 higher end pass rushers. A 1st round safety S, and a 2nd round CB that didn’t stay healthy. It’s not like the defense doesn’t have any talent at all, but it’s more than likely still a project. 

What if the candidate calls Ed and he is glowing with respect of KOC and KAM? 

I don’t see the need to wait to be the last option, the cards on the table just need to be flipped before anyone can see the options on who to bet on. 

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

You’re the one making statements based on conjecture. He’s using information provided by people that cover the team.

My statement isn't pure conjecture because, for example, the Vikings are in a bad salary cap position, have many free agents to sign or allow to leave, and one less draft pick. 

Further, it is factually based speculation that coordinators who are vying for HC jobs are not going to give any priority to a DC position.  Finally, if a defensive position coach or DC is passed up for a HC job this year, there are always HC jobs open every year, including 2024 (pure speculation, but probable based on history of the modern NFL).