The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Who should we have paid on offense?

I’m not saying we had someone to pay I’m saying we didn’t acquire anyone worth paying therefore we trot out a different version of the same talent every year offensively… So if that’s the case what difference would it make if u pay the guy who essentially is ur entire offense… The only significant attempts we’ve put into play have all been draft picks meaning u won’t have to pay them for four to five years… We have never signed a big money free agent receiver… We usually draft our TEs and RBs so if we’re allocating cap space to an offense what player do we lose on that side of the ball by paying Lamar??? Think about what we loss so far this off-season… Who can’t be replaced on a normal draft year?? I say normal because yes we are limited on picks this year but that’s rare for us… Then when u factor in that the cap is gonna increase every year during the course of his contract its the lesser of both evils… this idea that we’re gonna find another qb in the draft is foreign to me… Flacco was carried by an all time defense until he was ready to lead the most talented overall group of skill players in team history…. This defense is solid but it ain’t Ray Ed Suggs and Ngata… and let’s be real… offensively I don’t think there is a QB in the league that could do much better than Lamar has with the talent we’ve provided… Look at every qb we’ve drafted outside of Flacco and Lamar in team history… prior to them I’d say we struggled nearly as hard as we have at receiver… Outside of TE and Oline We don’t develop talent well offensively… we never have… from year 2 until year 5 how much did Flacco or lamar really improve.. Look I’m cool with whatever we decide I’m just saying it’s just as… if not more likely… we’d regret not paying Lamar than if we did… 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How and when do you think this is all resolved?

My prediction is this will be resolved in different times depending upon what happens:

Option 1- Some other team trades for Lamar and he signs the tender and Ravens negotiate a quality enough package that they’re willing to move off of Lamar. Finalized likely days before the draft, if not as a surprise draft day trade. Late April.

Option 2- Lamar legitimately wants to return to the Ravens but wants to explore his market value to see if another team will provide him that offer. Other teams likely warm up negotiations after the draft and UDFA signing period, things start to heat up in Mid May and he’s provided multiple offers and resolution is provided. Late May.
- I believe this is the most realistic scenario. I feel everything else is posturing.

Option 3- Lamar truly wants out of Baltimore but the Ravens don’t feel any value given would match their desired value; unstoppable force meets an immovable object and Lamar via the media threatens to pull a Leveon Bell. Ravens call his bluff and Lamar signs the franchise tender (with the intention of faking injuries, like Jalen Ramsey, until he is traded). Team trades for him at a bargain with the expectation of signing him long term. Late September.

I believe late May is the likeliest, I’d put a 60% chance on that route with a 10% for the first scenario and 30% for the latter scenario.

At this point every other team has known for a month that he requested a trade and has had 2 weeks to negotiate directly with him - whatever decisions that need to be made have already been made. Either everything Lamar is doing right now is being coordinated with the team he plans to sign an offer sheet in order to reduce the chances the Ravens match by poisoning the relationship further, or he has found no takers and this is him getting desperate to drum up interest. 

If it's the former then I think the die is cast and we'll see him sign somewhere shortly after the draft. If it's the latter then this seems more about managing Lamar's pride/ego on clearly being sensitive about the criticism of not having an agent, and getting him to a place where he can accept an offer below what he was looking for while still being able to call it a 'win' from a negotiating standpoint on his part. 

There are two possible wild cards that I think would shake things up beyond what is or has already happened - if the Jets/Rodgers thing falls apart and they decide they want to enter the fray. And if the Commanders sale gets approved soon and the new owners decide they want to make a big splash by handing Lamar a blank check contract 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

If it's the former then I think the die is cast and we'll see him sign somewhere shortly after the draft.

There's absolutely zero chance Lamar has a team lined up that he's coordinating with. Not only has there been no indication from anywhere that anyone is interested in giving him the contract he desires, but he was literally just publicly shamed by his own backers(NFLPA) for involving unofficial solicitors(Ken Francis) in the process.

Lamar is drowning right now, and trying to grasp onto anything he can to stay afloat. 

Some hard truths about Lamar:

- Lamar is a specialized QB talent. Lamar fell in the draft because he had mechanical issues, accuracy issues outside the numbers, and a play style evaluators felt would lead to a certain injury shortened career. No one wanted him, and a handful didn't think he should play even QB. Fast forward to today and Lamar still has inconsistent accuracy outside the numbers and he hasn't finished his last two seasons healthy. It's not exactly a shock to me that people in these FOs who didn't believe Lamar should play the position and felt he would have a shortened career aren't now falling all over themselves to obtain his services. 

- Lamar is a moron. In terms of football intelligence Lamar is more than fine, in terms of real life communication and interaction- he's a disaster. GMs and Owners aren't going to look favorably upon on an orator that is at or beneath the level of someone like JaMarcus Russell, especially at QB. As Ravens fans we've grown accustomed to the Lamar Jackson experience, but the South Florida kid schtick is not often going to inspire confidence in outsiders. 

- Lamar now brings a circus. Negotiations aren't normal, media coverage isn't normal, nothing about interacting with Lamar is normal. Allegations and talk of collusion, sexism, racism, etc are now commonplace in conversations about Lamar. None of that is attractive to NFL Owners or GMs. 

- Lamar's image has likely been protected by the Ravens and I think the league is aware of that. IMO There's a belief among other clubs that there are aspects to Lamar's career/life that have been covered up and protected by the Ravens- who are viewed as one of the strongest organizations in sports. I think this adds a layer of hesitation to outside clubs who feel they don't have a true grasp on Lamar's character and/or risk factor. The Ravens probably have less leaks than any other club, and still there is unfavorable rumors surrounding Lamar's off field approach/habits. That's not good and no doubt has prying eyes wondering what else is going on behind closed doors that isn't leaking out to the public. There are things the Ravens probably feel comfortable dealing with and accepting, that other clubs flat out aren't. I think we're seeing some self preserving awareness from clubs in not over pursuing a commodity they don't have strong or complete intel on.

Maybe the new Washington owners will suicide pact(launch all teams' QB contract negotiations into the stratosphere) it out and give Lamar the biggest deal in NFL history in order to try and quickly buy relevance with a hail mary move... but I really really doubt it. The coaches like Sam Howell and new ownership forcing a move upon a respected coach like Ron Rivera and their GM would come off heavy handed and signal similar dysfunction to the old regime. 

As of right now, Lamar has two options: 1. Accept that he isn't going to get the deal he wants and take Baltimore's best offer. or 2. Continue to make a fool of himself and flail about, in effort to shake the biggest contract in NFL history loose, up to that July 17th deadline where if he doesn't sign an extension he'll bring his total earnings lost to around or over the 9 figures mark. If he holds out or plays on that tag he'll go down as one of the dumbest players in sports' history. 

Lamar has preyed upon the fanbase's stupidity, media's favor, and his fellow players' sycophancy a lot to this point and he'll probably continue to do so, but everything has it's limits. If his circle of supporters are still sitting there July 18th telling him he's a "man of principle" for his actions and he has no deal in hand, then he's surrounded by utter monsters- his mother included. 

• Like 4

Fallout from that owners meeting and Arthur Blanks comments about his injuries have Lamar on tilt. I'm sure an agent would definitely advise Lamar to do this, admit he's not the type to hold out for money and  discuss his PCL injury not healing the way people hoped. 😅

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

There's absolutely zero chance Lamar has a team lined up that he's coordinating with. Not only has there been no indication from anywhere that anyone is interested in giving him the contract he desires, but he was literally just publicly shamed by his own backers(NFLPA) for involving unofficial solicitors(Ken Francis) in the process.

Lamar is drowning right now, and trying to grasp onto anything he can to stay afloat. 

Some hard truths about Lamar:

- Lamar is a specialized QB talent. Lamar fell in the draft because he had mechanical issues, accuracy issues outside the numbers, and a play style evaluators felt would lead to a certain injury shortened career. No one wanted him, and a handful didn't think he should play even QB. Fast forward to today and Lamar still has inconsistent accuracy outside the numbers and he hasn't finished his last two seasons healthy. It's not exactly a shock to me that people in these FOs who didn't believe Lamar should play the position and felt he would have a shortened career aren't now falling all over themselves to obtain his services. 

- Lamar is a moron. In terms of football intelligence Lamar is more than fine, in terms of real life communication and interaction- he's a disaster. GMs and Owners aren't going to look favorably upon on an orator that is at or beneath the level of someone like JaMarcus Russell, especially at QB. As Ravens fans we've grown accustomed to the Lamar Jackson experience, but the South Florida kid schtick is not often going to inspire confidence in outsiders. 

- Lamar now brings a circus. Negotiations aren't normal, media coverage isn't normal, nothing about interacting with Lamar is normal. Allegations and talk of collusion, sexism, racism, etc are now commonplace in conversations about Lamar. None of that is attractive to NFL Owners or GMs. 

- Lamar's image has likely been protected by the Ravens and I think the league is aware of that. IMO There's a belief among other clubs that there are aspects to Lamar's career/life that have been covered up and protected by the Ravens- who are viewed as one of the strongest organizations in sports. I think this adds a layer of hesitation to outside clubs who feel they don't have a true grasp on Lamar's character and/or risk factor. The Ravens probably have less leaks than any other club, and still there is unfavorable rumors surrounding Lamar's off field approach/habits. That's not good and no doubt has prying eyes wondering what else is going on behind closed doors that isn't leaking out to the public. There are things the Ravens probably feel comfortable dealing with and accepting, that other clubs flat out aren't. I think we're seeing some self preserving awareness from clubs in not over pursuing a commodity they don't have strong or complete intel on.

Maybe the new Washington owners will suicide pact(launch all teams' QB contract negotiations into the stratosphere) it out and give Lamar the biggest deal in NFL history in order to try and quickly buy relevance with a hail mary move... but I really really doubt it. The coaches like Sam Howell and new ownership forcing a move upon a respected coach like Ron Rivera and their GM would come off heavy handed and signal similar dysfunction to the old regime. 

As of right now, Lamar has two options: 1. Accept that he isn't going to get the deal he wants and take Baltimore's best offer. or 2. Continue to make a fool of himself and flail about, in effort to shake the biggest contract in NFL history loose, up to that July 17th deadline where if he doesn't sign an extension he'll bring his total earnings lost to around or over the 9 figures mark. If he holds out or plays on that tag he'll go down as one of the dumbest players in sports' history. 

Lamar has preyed upon the fanbase's stupidity, media's favor, and his fellow players' sycophancy a lot to this point and he'll probably continue to do so, but everything has it's limits. If his circle of supporters are still sitting there July 18th telling him he's a "man of principle" for his actions and he has no deal in hand, then he's surrounded by utter monsters- his mother included. 

Applause GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

40 minutes ago, Danger said:

For what it's worth. There was a tweet from a reputable source about a month ago (I can't remember who) that said Howie and Jalen's camp are relatively on the same page.

I think all of those guys will get signed with little to no issue. Only one I'd put a little question mark by is Burrow, just because of the Mike Brown weirdness factor.

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think all of those guys will get signed with little to no issue. Only one I'd put a little question mark by is Burrow, just because of the Mike Brown weirdness factor.

Mike Brown is just an old dude who doesn't like spending money.

We'll see if that applies to Burrows $250,000,000 guaranteed contract.