Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I’m calling BS on that. Kirk was given a chance by the team to counter there offer in the summer of 2017, his team did nothing and played on the franchise tag. That was a pretty clear message to the team right there, and honestly as Lavar has said for a few years since they franchised him the first time, they should’ve traded him. At the worst they would’ve gotten a conditional 2nd back that could’ve been a 1st  predicated on him hitting 4,000 yards passing in 2017 and a vet QB to compete w/ McCoy from someone like the 49ers, Bills, Browns, Broncos, Jets, Vikings or Jags.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I’m calling BS on that. Kirk was given a chance by the team to counter there offer in the summer of 2017, they did nothing and played on the franchise tag. That was a pretty clear message to the team right there, and honestly as Lavar has said fir a few years since they franchised him the first time, they should’ve traded him. At the worst they would’ve gotten a conditional 2nd back in return predicated on him hitting 4,000 yards passing in 2017 and a vet QB to compete w/ McCoy from someone like the 49ers, Bills, Browns, Broncos, Jets, Vikings or Jags.

LET ME REITERATE WHAT I SAID 30 MINUTES AGO

32 minutes ago, Woz said:

I will lock this thread if this particular conversation continues. Nothing good will come of it.

My short list. In no order

John DeFillipo- Vikings OC

Matt LaFluer- Titans OC

Todd Wash- Jags DC

Jim Harbaugh

David Shaw

should probably be looking upstairs at GMs first but this is more fun

Edited by Woz
Split this out from the preseason game thread

6 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

John DeFillipo- Vikings OC

Matt LaFluer- Titans OC

John DeFillipo

• Playing Experience
    • Professional
      • None
    • College
      • 1996-1999 at JMU (backup QB, 11 games played)
  • Coaching Experience
    • NFL
      • Offensive Coordinator
        • 2018 (Minnesota) under Mike Zimmer [current]
        • 2015 (Cleveland) under Mike Pettine
          • Final DVOA Ranking(**): Overall: 27th [pass: 27th, rush: 20th], Weighted to Later Games: 27th, Variance: 3rd, Schedule Strength: 1st
      • Quarterbacks Coach
        • 2016-2017 (Philadelphia) under Doug Pederson
        • 2012-2014 (Oakland) under Dennis Allen
        • 2009 (NY Jets) under Rex Ryan
        • 2007-2008 (Oakland) under Lane Kiffin
      • Offensive Quality Control Coach
        • 2005-2006 (NY Giants) under Tom Coughlin
    • College
      • Quarterbacks Coach
        • 2010-2011 at San Jose State
        • 2003-2004 at Columbia (Div IAA)
        • 2000 at Fordham (Div IAA)
      • Graduate Assistant
        • 2001-2002 at Notre Dame

Matt LaFleur

• Playing Experience
    • Professional
      • 2004 (Billings Outlaws (Indoor Football League)) as a backup QB (presumably, no stats that I know of but I didn't really bother to look)
      • 2003 (Omaha Beef (Champions Indoor Football League)) as a backup QB (his stats if you care)
    • College
      • 2000-2002 at Saginaw Valley State (Div II) as a quarterback (above link also has his stats in college)
      • 1998-1999 at Western MIchigan as a wide receiver
  • Coaching Experience
    • NFL
      • Offensive Coordinator
        • 2018 at Tennessee under Mike Vrabel [current]
        • 2017 at Los Angeles Rams under Sean McVay
          • Final DVOA Rankings(**): Overall: 6th [pass: 7th, rush: 10th], Weighted for later games: 5th, Variance: 27th, Schedule Strength: 5th
      • Quarterbacks Coach
        • 2015-2016 at Atlanta under Dan Quinn
        • 2010-2013 at Washington under Mike Shanahan
      • Offensive Quality Control Coach
        • 2008-2009 at Houston under Gary Kubiak
    • College
      • Offensive Coordinator
        • 2007 at Ashland (Div II)
      • Quarterbacks Coach
        • 2014 at Notre Dame
        • 2006 at Northern Michigan (Div II) [also wide receivers coach there]
      • Offensive Assistant
        • 2004-2005 at Central Michigan
        • 2003 at Saginaw Valley State

It seems both DeFillipo and LaFleur fall in the "Sean McVay" category of getting a young offensive minded coach. The difference is that McVay had three years as the OC in Washington. Both DeFillippo and LaFleur only have one year at OC at the NFL level (two years overall) and it's an open question how much control LaFleur had under McVay.

Personally, I would want to wait a year on these two just to see how they shake out as the main playcaller. Still, they're two guys to keep an eye on and if we're looking for historical factors, Washington did hire a 40 year old OC with limited NFL coordinator experience back in the day. I think that turned out alright.

6 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Todd Wash- Jags DC

Todd Wash

• Playing Experience
    • Professional
      • None (1992 UDFA, spent time on Houston Oilers practice squad that year, nothing further)
    • College
      • North Dakota State (unknown how much time there)
  • Coaching Experience
    • NFL
      • Defensive Coordinator
        • 2016-2018 at Jacksonville under Gus Bradley and Doug Marrone [current]
          • Final DVOA rankings(**)
            • 2017 - Overall: 1st [pass: 1st, rush: 27th], Weighted for later games: 4th, Variance: 29th, Schedule Strength: 31st
            • 2016 - Overall: 12th [pass: 15th, rush: 12th], Weighted for later games: 13th, Variance: 11th, Schedule Strength: 19th
      • Defensive Line Coach
        • 2013-2015 at Jacksonville under Gus Bradley (he was also concurrently running game coordinator in 2013-2015)
        • 2011-2012 at Seattle under Pete Carroll
        • 2008-2010 at Tampa Bay under Jon Gruden and Raheem Morris (he was also concurrently defensive quality control coach in 2008)
      • Defensive Quality Control Coach
        • 2007 at Tampa Bay under Jon Gruden
    • College
      • Head Coach
        • 1997-1999 at Fort Lewis (Div II, was also the defensive coordinator)
      • Defensive Coordinator
        • 2004 at Missouri Southern State (Div II, was also the linebackers coach)
        • 2000-2001 at Nebraska-Kearney (Div II)
      • Defensive Line Coach
        • 2005-2006 at North Dakota State (Div IAA)
        • 2002-2003 at North Dakota State (Div IAA)
        • 1996 at Fort Lewis (Div II)

Unlike two offensive guys, Wash is a bit more of a grinder (sorry, had to since he was under Big Gruden) when it comes to his resume. He comes with an extra decade of experience, which is both a positive (he's more seasoned) and a negative (he's 10 years older in a young man's game). One major point in his favor is that he does have head coaching experience, albeit at the Div II college level nearly twenty years ago. Another thing that is interesting to me is that he has survived two head coach axings (Gruden in 2008, Bradley in 2016) and kept his job. That implies that both organizations thought he was worth hanging on to.

7 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Jim Harbaugh

David Shaw

There's no chance Snyder convinces either of these gentlemen to come to Washington. Harbaugh is sure as hell not going back to the NFL to play under a meddlesome owner, and I think Shaw is perfectly happy in Stanford.

(**) I left out the raw percentages because it's just confusing for some people. The "variance" category means how much performance changed from week to week; lower is not necessarily better (the Browns under DeFillipo had low variance but they had low defensive stats -> they regularly sucked). "Schedule Strength" means how tough the schedule was for that team (a higher rank in this case is better), so the Rams 2017 offensive performance is impressive since they had a hard run against the grain.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think that Snyder will hire Matt LaFleur, Kyle Shanahan was the reason he was hired in 2010 as QB coach.

I think you might have the causality backwards there, turtle: LaFleur won't come here as head coach because he's already worked under Snyder once before.

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Watching the Ravens now and it’s simply amazing #3 is the same guy who won a heisman trophy and looked incredible his rookie year. Doesn’t even look like the same player. Just sad that it turned out this way. 

Injuries will do that to anyone