Investigation finds Broncos QB Russell Wilson's charity only distributes 24% of funds

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is common for non profits and charities, I'm pretty sure. May be on the low side, but 30 cents...35 cents..pretty sure that is common. 

Yup.  Years ago, The United way spent roughly 75% of charitable funds on overhead.

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

This is common for non profits and charities, I'm pretty sure. May be on the low side, but 30 cents...35 cents..pretty sure that is common. 

There's zero reasons to ever create your own foundation for an issue you care about besides PR and to staff it with your family/posse. If you're actually trying to alleviate an issue there are already ones doing real work that would be better helped - trying to determine which ones do is its own minefield but still. 

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

A sad but true fact. It’s why I won’t donate to any charity unless I’ve done some digging into where the money goes. There are many that actually use a higher percentage though.

I haven’t verified these numbers, but here’s an article on some of the best:

https://www.rd.com/list/best-charities/

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Dodo said:

There's zero reasons to ever create your own foundation for an issue you care about besides PR and to staff it with your family/posse. If you're actually trying to alleviate an issue there are already ones doing real work that would be better helped - trying to determine which ones do is its own minefield but still. 

I can see how it makes sense for a celebrity to start up a foundation and use their own name for getting the word out.  In addition to that, if you are the one who owns it, you can determine how it is run.  That could be good or bad, obviously, but you hope Russell is doing it the right way.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I just picked 3 decent charities in different areas and they're all more than double that.

Doctors without Borders: 85%

BCRF: 81%

NAACP Legal Defense Fund: 75%

24% is pathetic. Russ' charity is about as genuine as his press conferences.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am currently on board for a charity and no one involved takes a dime other than expense reimbursements.  And a lot of times people donate their expenses back in.  No salaries.  All volunteers.

100% goes to cause.  In fact most everyone involved has given their own money to it.   Planning a large fundraiser as I am typing this.

https://www.sunbeamsuganda.org/   (The website needs to be updated - we are well past year end goal of 10k now - I think we are around $18,500.00

Maybe one day it will grow so large that it requires a full time paid employee or two to manage it, but right now that is way it works.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I just picked 3 decent charities in different areas and they're all more than double that.

Doctor's without Borders: 85%

BCRF: 81%

NAACP Legal Defense Fund: 75%

24% is pathetic. Russ' charity is about as genuine as his press conferences.

Red Cross does like 91%. There are legit charities, which is why I recommend people doing their due diligence before donating anything. 

This stuff really needs to have more stringent oversight, but we know that's not going to happen. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

Red Cross does like 91%. There are legit charities, which is why I recommend people doing their due diligence before donating anything. 

This stuff really needs to have more stringent oversight, but we know that's not going to happen. 

There are also a lot of people who take the attitude of "all charities are scams anyway" to avoid the guilt of not donating.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Dodo said:

It's a tax shelter and a way to give money and jobs to family and friends.   It's not just athletes that do it.

'Foundations' have been a thing of mega rich for a long time.  Presidential law libraries are another good one for former presidents.  

In fairness when you go quickly from poor to rich and famous a lot of people in your life feel like they deserve a piece of that.  The charitable foundation is major way they find to deal with that.  

The ethics of it are another story. 

• Like 4