Investigation finds Broncos QB Russell Wilson's charity only distributes 24% of funds

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There are also a lot of people who take the attitude of "all charities are scams anyway" to avoid the guilt of not donating.

I think I'm a weird one when it comes to charities. I will donate money to them all the time, however I will not donate time.  Don't care if that makes me look like a bad person, but that's my thing. 

Donate money, I give all of the stuff I have no use for to various charities and whatnot...will not volunteer 

• Like 4

This another really good one I can personally vouch for and it is stateside.   They operate in KY, IL, TX and NV.    Started in KY and expanded out.   

I agree there are likely a lot of sham charities out there.  

My church supports this one, that's how I know.  I have personally met some of women, some of employees and some of rescued women have become regular attenders at my church - for a long time now.  No flash in pan change.  

They save women out of sex trafficking and sex industry (way more common then you think and it is everywhere) relocate them to a safe place and get them back on their feet.  

I have personally seen the actual real world life changing results with this one.  

https://refugeforwomen.org/

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I just picked 3 decent charities in different areas and they're all more than double that.

Doctor's without Borders: 85%

BCRF: 81%

NAACP Legal Defense Fund: 75%

24% is pathetic. Russ' charity is about as genuine as his press conferences.

That’s because those are legit charities and not devices to either make money or pad someone’s ego/narcissism (like most are)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think I'm a weird one when it comes to charities. I will donate money to them all the time, however I will not donate time.  Don't care if that makes me look like a bad person, but that's my thing. 

Donate money, I give all of the stuff I have no use for to various charities and whatnot...will not volunteer 

All good.   People have different gifts.  Gift of service and gift of giving are two different things.   Perhaps you have gift of giving.  

• Like 3

I looked at the 990 because I was curious. The payroll on how little revenue they bring in is insane. I'm not sure if they are friends of Russ or if it is just incredibly poorly managed. But anyone giving to his foundation is basically funding their wages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

That's just more dogs for me to walk and play with

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am currently on board for a charity and no one involved takes a dime other than expense reimbursements.  And a lot of times people donate their expenses back in.  No salaries.  All volunteers.

100% goes to cause.  In fact most everyone involved has given their own money to it.   Planning a large fundraiser as I am typing this.

https://www.sunbeamsuganda.org/   (The website needs to be updated - we are well past year end goal of 10k now - I think we are around $18,500.00

Maybe one day it will grow so large that it requires a full time paid employee or two to manage it, but right now that is way it works.

It's not as simple as simply looking at the tax code (because there could/should be better enforcement and monitoring to make sure the requirements for maintaining, not just initially receiving, that particular status), but the layman donor typically doesn't know the difference between a 501c(3) non-profit who have to account for not carrying over a profit from one fiscal year to the next and a 501c(6) not-for-profit for which there are greater allowances - leaving much more gray area for "administrative costs" to absorb up a majority of the actual donations.  I don't want to hurl accusations at Russ without evidence, and he very well could have lended his name to an organization where the individuals he left in charge (and i'd still argue the buck stops with him because his name is what gives them the thing to fundraise off of, and he can pull that at any time by severing the relationship) took advantage.  But it sure seems like he's gone more the Susan G. Komen path than the American Cancer Society path.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

What kind of charity has 75% overhead? And if the answer is "many of them," then many of them are doing something wrong. Just my two cents, no pun intended.

*$0.0042 adjusted.

Let's ride.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i'm conflicted if this qualifies as NFL "news" or not. I'll leave it open for now, but I'm struggling to think of a way this might impact football, unless Russ can face consequences for this?

Per the article

Still, the investigation by USA TODAY found that Wilson’s organization reported it spent just 24.3 cents of every dollar on charitable activities in 2020 and 2021 combined and nearly twice as much, $1.1 million, on salaries and employee benefits in that span, according to federal tax records.

The salaries include more than six figures for an executive who also works personally for Ciara and Russell Wilson, which has nonprofit experts prodding.

In 2020, the year in which Wilson was given the Man of the Year award, his foundation reported $838,000 in revenue and $1.2 million in expenses, including $257,000 on charitable activities and $548,000 on salaries and employee benefits. Meaning about twice as much money went to executives in the foundation compared to charity and only 21 cents of every dollar earned went to charity.

If the assistant used that money from the charity as part of their job to fund Ciara and Russ' lifestyle, that opens up legal questions. The article sort of implies it by giving this a standalone paragraph when that only makes up a small piece of what they were spending on employees overall, plus the opaque 'experts prodding'.

48 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

It's not as simple as simply looking at the tax code (because there could/should be better enforcement and monitoring to make sure the requirements for maintaining, not just initially receiving, that particular status), but the layman donor typically doesn't know the difference between a 501c(3) non-profit who have to account for not carrying over a profit from one fiscal year to the next and a 501c(6) not-for-profit for which there are greater allowances - leaving much more gray area for "administrative costs" to absorb up a majority of the actual donations.  I don't want to hurl accusations at Russ without evidence, and he very well could have lended his name to an organization where the individuals he left in charge (and i'd still argue the buck stops with him because his name is what gives them the thing to fundraise off of, and he can pull that at any time by severing the relationship) took advantage.  But it sure seems like he's gone more the Susan G. Komen path than the American Cancer Society path.

It's run by his childhood friend. They used to live together per this SI article on the principal investor - the article romanticized it as an Entourage situation where this guy was E: https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russell-wilson-entourage-seattle-seahawks

I don't think any of this makes Russ look better.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2