Is Mayfield a first round QB???

Iamcanadian

On 11/27/2017 at 2:47 AM, Iamcanadian said:

Ridiculous, this guys intangibles are off the charts. He is a tremendous leader of men. Read the post from NFL.com re: his character.

He is about as far away from Manziel as you can be!

And remember Johnny Manziel was going to be one of the best QB’s in the league and was amazing in college

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

The thing about Mayfield that worries me is the Twitter thing replying to every little thing thats not how a next level qb acts. A chip on your shoulder is fine but to be thin skinned is not.

He could always just pull a Kevin Durant and have an alt account he uses to trash people. 

8 minutes ago, Classic said:

Would Mayfield be a could fit with the Chargers? Toddler McShay has him going 19th to L.A in his 1st mock draft.

chw8hbupnp301.jpg

The first problem I see is that he has LAC picking 1.19.   They are the favorites to win the AFCW IMO.   

I'd think they'd get a T before they address QB.  Rivers looks like he has 2-3 years left minimum.   That would be wasting the pick on a backup until year 4-5.   Not good value, especially when you take into account that the Chargers' window to contend now is wide open.   Really don't see it.

Mayfield being groomed to replace Phillip Rivers is solid as long as Ken Whisenhunt is with Chargers for good. Mayfield's moxie and guts are no difference from Kurt Warner. Also, Rivers has 2 more seasons left on contract with Chargers.  However, is that necessary to push the panic button for 2020 plan? I don't think so, especially their being in top 20. Outside first 25 may be all right for that plan.

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Mayfield being groomed to replace Phillip Rivers is solid as long as Ken Whisenhunt is with Chargers for good. Mayfield's moxie and guts are no difference from Kurt Warner. Also, Rivers has 2 more seasons left on contract with Chargers.  However, is that necessary to push the panic button for 2020 plan? I don't think so, especially their being in top 20. Outside first 25 may be all right for that plan.

Warner? The born again Christian? Nah. I don't get how every player with "passion" get all put into the same pile. I keep saying it, but the same stuff was said about Manziel. It's eerie how similar the rhetoric is.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:08 AM, SpanosPayYourRent said:

And remember Johnny Manziel was going to be one of the best QB’s in the league and was amazing in college

The difference between Manziel and Mayfield is like night and day. Manziel came from a wealthy family and had everything handed to him on a plater. Mayfield, because he was short, got passed over for a scholarship and had to work hard to prove he deserved one. Like a lot of short people and he is short by football standards, he carries a huge chip on his shoulder and won't back down from any competitive situation.

Have you ever watched him on the sidelines, he is a carbon copy of Brees, firing up his team just the way Brees does and his teammates would go to war for him. The pros love everything about him as a leader of men and how mentally tough he is when challenged. The only knock on him is his height, something that will be settled at his measurables at the Combine. He could possibly come in at under 6' and that always worries scouts and GM's when they draft QB's.

He is going in the 1st round, how high is the question??? My guess is somewhere in the teens, which for a short QB, is quite an accomplishment, that Brees and Wilson could not do???

Reminds me of Phillip Rivers emotionally. He'll be fine. It's extremely irrational to compare him to Manziel, a dude that was popping pills and snorting coke. People see a cocky short QB and want to make those comparisons immediately. It's not the same thing and to assume their stories will follow similar professional paths is irresponsible.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

People see a cocky short QB and want to make those comparisons immediately

To be fair, there aren't many other people who fit the "cocky short QB" category so it's a small list to choose from.

Archived