Is Mayfield a first round QB???

Iamcanadian

9 hours ago, VanS said:

Mayfield has no elite traits.  At least Lamar Jackson has generation athleticism at the QB position.  And unlike RG3 has proven he can be somewhat durable.

I think Lamar can be a taller Michael Vick.  He'll never be a great passer but his athleticism will help him and his team win many games.

Gimme Lamar Jackson all day over Baker Mayfield.

Then he's garbage in the NFL. You won't win SBs without that unless you build a stellar defense to counter the suckage you have at QB. Give me the passing QB over the guy that drops back and runs after the 1st read every day of the week.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:22 PM, CWood21 said:

Again, this is a total non-issue.  If this was Sam Darnold, nobody would be give a damn.  But because it's Baker Mayfield, it's a HUGE issue.  Honestly, of all the things that bothered me the most, the Kansas game was the only one I had a major issue with.  The run-in with the cops was poor judgment on his part, and there's been NOTHING to make you believe that this is likely or will happen again.  As for the TCU warm-up, that's not on Baker Mayfield to have to work around the TCU players running through the warm up.  That's my stance, and I'll stick to it.

holy apologist batman :)

I knew literally nothing about this guy like a month ago, I watched him for about 5 minutes and knew immediately i'd never want him near my team. Looks like a POS through and through.

2 hours ago, lod01 said:

Then he's garbage in the NFL. You won't win SBs without that unless you build a stellar defense to counter the suckage you have at QB. Give me the passing QB over the guy that drops back and runs after the 1st read every day of the week.

Michael Vick led a very average Atlanta Falcons team to the NFC Championship Game in 2004 based purely on the fact he was the best athlete to ever play QB.

Lamar Jackson is very similar.  I don't think he'll win a super bowl but I think he'll be a MONSTER in the league like Vick.  Teams will fear him because of his athleticism.  His passing is good enough to keep teams honest like Vick.  His running is what will make a difference.  People say you can't win with a running QB.  That is FALSE.  You can win with a running QB.....just not for long because of the risk of injury.  I think Lamar can stay healthy even as a run-first QB much like Michael Vick was able to stay healthy in his youth even though he was running for 1,000 yards in a season.

Doubt Lamar Jackson at your peril.  I think he's gonna set the NFL on FIRE next season.  He's just too freaky of an athlete.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:23 AM, Forge said:

There has pretty much been only one quarterback with success at the NFL level 6'6" and taller. The best ever is probably Joe Flacco. The sample size is extremely limited however, and it's an arbitrary cut off (do we think that Phillip Rivers or Carson Palmer would have been worse somehow if they were an inch taller?), but at 6'6" and over the results are pretty bad. When you compare that to the guys who have succeeded at 6' and under, it's just amusing that the latter is an issue but the former isn't, even though the latter does have better success overall through the annals of football history. 

Being over 6'5" definitely seems to affect a QB's career, just has not been too many really successful ones. But to be fair, being 6' or under does not have a long list of success either, but certainly a few more than those over6'5"'s.

Either way, teams are wary of drafting these types of QB very high in the draft and it will be interesting to see how high Mayfield goes. Even his supporters on nFL.com, have not ruled out round 2 although they believe he has round 1 talent.

I'd much rather prefer Jackson over Mayfield. On the subject matter, I would put all my considerable first round franchise guys over Mayfield. The maturity issues are a thing, and it adds to the theme of being a polarizing player for now. I'd give him a day 2 draft grade currently.

55 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I'd much rather prefer Jackson over Mayfield. On the subject matter, I would put all my considerable first round franchise guys over Mayfield. The maturity issues are a thing, and it adds to the theme of being a polarizing player for now. I'd give him a day 2 draft grade currently.

Exactly my point. Johnny Manziel, Geno Smith and Jimmy Clausen all showed maturity issues coming out of college (arguably none even as notably as Baker since most of Johnny's issues didn't come to light until he got to the league) and none have found success in the NFL despite being highly touted. I will give Baker credit that he has better arm talent than all three of them, but we saw flashes from Johnny and Geno that they had talent to at least contribute in the league, but it was the mental side of things that held them back.

Archived