Is Mayfield a first round QB???

Iamcanadian

For me, Mayfield if he was 6'3", would easily be the first QB drafted in 2018, he is the second coming of Brees as an emotional leader of men and had to work hard just to even get a college scholarship. He is tough mentally and has a pro arm. He'll have to adjust from a spread college offense, but I have no doubt he can accomplish that. The only concern the pro scouts and GM's have about him is his height as colleges lie all the time about such statistics, to help a player get All American  and Heisman votes, which in turn helps immensely in their recruiting.

Mayfield could possible measure in at 5'10" or 5'11" and that is a concern, so we will have to weight for his Combine measurables before we know for sure.

He is going to get drafted in round 1, how high is the only question, it could be as high as 13-15 or it could be later in the draft, just depends on which GM falls in love with him and the fact that there are so many qualified first round QB's available in this draft that the competition is steep.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The other stuff on-the-field, maybe.  Not the drunken episode IMO.  

I don't have too much of an issue with the drunken episode as I haven't heard of any other instances of him having an issue with it, so I chalk that one up to a single mistake.  My issue with him is his repeated behavior on-field where he lets his emotions get the best of him and then acts immaturely.  He's been making the same mistake over and over again and although he keeps saying he's sorry for how he acted, it sounds you're talking to an addict.

I've been the biggest fan of Mayfield here for the past two years.

His lack of impulse control and emotional immaturity over this past year has escalated and is alarming to me.

You can say he's a leader, his teammates respect him, his coaches respect him, there is nothing wrong with it and its a competitive thing.

He wasn't doing things like this in years past. He wasn't apologizing almost every other press conference for his actions.

He loves Oklahoma. Maybe the feeling it is coming to an end and the high expectations have boiled over. Maybe it won't be an issue going forward.

You can spin it and label it however and whatever you want. It has to stop.

7 hours ago, Raves said:

I don't have too much of an issue with the drunken episode as I haven't heard of any other instances of him having an issue with it, so I chalk that one up to a single mistake.  My issue with him is his repeated behavior on-field where he lets his emotions get the best of him and then acts immaturely.  He's been making the same mistake over and over again and although he keeps saying he's sorry for how he acted, it sounds you're talking to an addict.

The on field concern I’d have is that he can be incited to act emotionally and in a way he regrets later.   That’s entirely legit.     As are the concerns on whether his physical skills translate to NFL success.  The interviews will shed more light on the former while the Combine and Senior bowl should help with the latter   I truly hope he chooses to attend the Senior Bowl.  

I can’t really hammer hammer him for the drunk episode though either as you said.   Other than the poor pocket awareness and lack of elusiveness displayed that night.  :D

15 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Can we get a list of his on field incidents?

Off the top I'm only coming up with the crotch grab and the practice toss. (which seemed more prank then anything imo)

The flag planting thing against OSU. The smack talk to Baylor (I think he told them he was his daddy or something like that...it was really stupid and nothing at all that should have even been mentioned). Neither of which I particularly had an issue with, but both are things I think he apologized for.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

The flag planting thing against OSU. The smack talk to Baylor (I think he told them he was his daddy or something like that...it was really stupid and nothing at all that should have even been mentioned). Neither of which I particularly had an issue with, but both are things I think he apologized for.

Intentionally hitting a TCU player in the head with a football.

Yelling at Kansas fans/grabbing himself.

3 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Can we get a list of his on field incidents?

Off the top I'm only coming up with the crotch grab and the practice toss. (which seemed more prank then anything imo)

3 hours ago, Forge said:

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Intentionally hitting a TCU player in the head with a football.

Yelling at Kansas fans/grabbing himself.

To me, this is far more telling than the drunken arrest.    Each time, he regrets his actions - which means, somehow he's losing his composure in-game, and reacts emotionally - which people say, big deal, it's an emotional game.  But as QB, you want be in control of your emotions, and channel them effectively.   Again, people can say he's done fine on the field - but NCAA D's and NFL D's, there's an order in magnitude in difficulty.  NFL will create adversity and challenge him 100x more than college will.   You want to see him calm, composed, and in control in the face of that adversity.  The above really questions if he can be.   

How he tests at the Combine for his physical ceiling, and how he interviews on the issue above, will tell the tale.  He does get a great chance to boost his stock vs. Georgia / finalist if he wins the semis though.  But his draft spot is all over the place until we get all the info from the 3 areas - BCS, Combine and interviews (and obv we won't, but teams will).  REALLY makes the BCS worth watching this year. 

On 11/27/2017 at 9:29 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

I think people are grossly remembering Manziel as a leader in the wrong light at the college level. Did we already forget that insane comeback in the bowl game? Manziel rallied his team in that game and they showed him on the sidelines calming down Mike Evans early in the game and then getting involved in his defense and special teams throughout the game, hyping them up and trying to keep his teammates in the game.

At the same time, this is the ra-ra stuff you don't see from a lot of QB's in the NFL. Calm, cool and collective. While Manziel was doing that stuff, there was also the incident against Rice for example where he was trash talking defenders and trying to get into their faces after a late TD with A&M up big. Sound familiar? Here's everything from Baker in that Kansas game in case you haven't seen all of it:

This is just immaturity, plain and simple. And it's a pattern with Baker. The planting of the flag, the wearing a shirt that said "traitor" before the Texas Tech game (showing a complete lack of maturity and inability to get over something from the past) and the arrest all within the last calendar year. If you go back even further (I'm shocked this stuff isn't brought up more), but there is a pattern.

• Baker complained about not getting a scholarship offer to TCU. Gary Patterson was asked about this (a guy who has run a pretty good program for a long time) and had this to say in 2016: "If Baker Mayfield wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that’s fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn’t offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker’s dad [James]. He’s an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father." Not exactly a glowing review as Patterson is clearly stating that he, nor Baker's former head coach Kingsbury, thought very highly of Mayfield (or his father apparently) in a positive light.
  • He apparently just has a really hard time letting things go and simply ignoring talk, unnecessarily replying to people on Twitter.
  • Another incident this year was the Baylor game where BEFORE he told them, "“You forgot who daddy is. I’m gonna have to spank you today." Then during the game, he got flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct that while there isn't video of, it has been said that he stood over an injured Baylor player after a play and proceeded to walk over him.
  • Announced his transfer in the middle of December while his team was preparing for a bowl game because of "miscommunication" with the Tech staff, creating a distraction for his team while they are preparing for a postseason game.
  • His family then continued to make a story out of the transfer, ironically enough in all of this, using the same lawyer Johnny Manziel used against the NCAA.

It just seems like it never ends with the guy. Just this year, you have the arrest, Ohio State flag plant, Baylor incident, Texas Tech incident, and then Kansas incident. Talent-wise, the kid deserves a shot in the 1st despite his height and needing to clean some things up (base gets too wide, doesn't step up in the pocket are my main concerns), but there just seems to be so much else going on.

To sum up, Johnny Manziel displayed great leadership at times on the field too, but he had a boatload of other things going on that should have told us clear as day he wasn't going to work int he league. Baker is looking at a similar situation..

Since people are asking for a list of documented issues with Baker, I had already posted them earlier in the thread. Only thing missing is hitting the TCU player with a ball in warm-ups, which Gary Patterson said afterwards was nothing new with Mayfield. 

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To me, this is far more telling than the drunken arrest.    Each time, he regrets his actions - which means, somehow he's losing his composure in-game, and reacts emotionally - which people say, big deal, it's an emotional game.  But as QB, you want be in control of your emotions, and channel them effectively.   Again, people can say he's done fine on the field - but NCAA D's and NFL D's, there's an order in magnitude in difficulty.  NFL will create adversity and challenge him 100x more than college will.   You want to see him calm, composed, and in control in the face of that adversity.  The above really questions if he can be.  

Apparently you've never seen Brady, the GOAT, in-game lose his **** on the sidelines...... Or Phillip Rivers taunting. Or Brett Farve trash talking. Or Aaron Rogers in someone's face. Calm, composed and in control is just for the play execution.

Sooo....

1. Baker complained about not getting a scholarship offer to TCU.

2. He apparently just has a really hard time letting things go and simply ignoring talk, unnecessarily replying to people on Twitter.

3. Another incident this year was the Baylor game where BEFORE he told them, "“You forgot who daddy is. I’m gonna have to spank you today." Then during the game, he got flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct that while there isn't video of, it has been said that he stood over an injured Baylor player after a play and proceeded to walk over him.

4. Announced his transfer in the middle of December while his team was preparing for a bowl game because of "miscommunication" with the Tech staff, creating a distraction for his team while they are preparing for a postseason game.

5. Intentionally hitting a TCU player in the head with a football.

6. The flag planting thing against OSU

7. Yelling at Kansas fans/grabbing himself.

1. Who cares. It's a beef he and his family had with the program and not really relevant. 0

2. As a professional he'll need to refrain from Twitter more than as a college player. As a college guy it's interesting but unless he's tweeting some especially inappropriate stuff...it's not a factor. +1

3. That's trash talking. Almost completely irrelevant. 0

4. Appears selfish. But still a fairly petty thing. 0

5. This one is sort of absurd to take offense with. It's prank level stuff. Tbh, I'm kind of impressed if he's actually aiming for the head. That's accuracy. 0

6. Immature, extra, but also harmless. It's still a game, remember. 0

7. Yelling/cursing at the opposing sideline is extra & immature, but still a non factor. And correctable with a decent coach/veteran players. Grabbing your crotch to clapback when you know you're on national TV is classless and careless. +1

2 out of 7.

As I thought..imo most the "issues" here are basically bull****. He's a chippy college QB. There are a lot of really good, "chippy" pro QBs right now. Brady, Cousins, Stafford, Rivers, Winston, Rogers, Newton.  He's been counted out and earned everything's he's got and it's created a sizable chip for him. He likes to mix it up with opponents and detractors. As a QB, he'll need to publicly hem that in some...not drastically, but a little.

Apologizing, when it's mostly this petty stuff... is fine. If he were routinely making egregious mistakes and not learning from them....that would be a flag. But he's basically just apologizing to/because folks that were offended...that's just being considerate.

As for the arrest...he needs to manage his alcohol MUCH better. That's unacceptable as a professional. Hopefully that video remains just a ridiculously funny outlier.

The thing about Mayfield that worries me is the Twitter thing replying to every little thing thats not how a next level qb acts. A chip on your shoulder is fine but to be thin skinned is not.

He's also a 5 year player I believe so he should be one of the most mature in this class.

Archived