Do you think we will see a Defense like the 2015 Broncos Again?

CP3MVP

This was the last great defense in then NFL, I mean truly great. Elite at all 3 levels, dominant against the pass and the run, and most importantly they dominated the playoffs on the way to a title. They carried a horrible offense and QB to the title over 3 straight great QBs(MVP Cam, God, and Big Ben). It seems like every year some defense gets hyped as great and folds when it matters for example 

1.)The 2017 “Sacksonville”Jags had a chance but allowed the pats to March down the field for 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. 
2.)The 2017 Vikings had a chance(best 3rd down defense in history till the 19 Pats) but got embarrassed by nick foles in the nfc title game, and to keep it funky they didn’t play well against the saints in the divisional either.  Got saved by a literal miracle. 
3.)The 2018 Bears(actually an underrated unit) had a chance but allowed Nick to March the length of the field and gave up the lead, On the final defensive drive. 
4.)The 2019 Pats great first 8 games exposed in the second half of the season. 
5.)2019 49ers, dominant all year, dominant in the postseason then in the big moment collapsed in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl which led to the chiefs win. 
6.)2021 Bills, number one in points/yards and DVOA. What happened in the divisional? torched all game including the classic “13” seconds. 
7.)2022 49ers, now their defensive performance wasn’t as bad as the raw points per game allowed in the nfc title game against the eagles showed but it wasn’t great either. Philly rushed for 148 yards and 4 touchdowns 
8.)2022 Eagles, dominant all year and then gets embarrassed in the Super Bowl. Historic pass rush can’t sack Mahomes. Now one of the touchdowns the chiefs scored was on defense but still gave up 31 points and didn’t do anything in the second half. 

51 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

8.)2022 Eagles, dominant all year and then gets embarrassed in the Super Bowl. Historic pass rush can’t sack Mahomes. Now one of the touchdowns the chiefs scored was on defense but still gave up 31 points and didn’t do anything in the second half. 

I don't wanna hijack the thread but the Eagles coming up short to one of the best offensive minds ever and a great battle tested offense doesn't undo their entire season of awesomeness imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Frequent reminder that people decide what a 'historic' defense is by whether or not they win the Super Bowl (as the lead unit) and nothing else. Its a very narrow way to evaluate things.

All those defenses flat out didn’t play well in the big game. It would be one thing they lost a 15-6 defensive battle. I hold the 2006 ravens in high regard even though they didn’t win the title 

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I don't wanna hijack the thread but the Eagles coming up short to one of the best offensive minds ever and a great battle tested offense doesn't undo their entire season of awesomeness imo.

Well There’s “coming up short” and getting flat out dominated. At least the 2019 49ers could say we played  them well for 3 quarters and then the wheels fell off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I get that but even those Broncos weren't holding everyone to "7" the whole year. 

They only gave up 30 once, though (vs 5 times for Philly, including a 40 burger). Never had a bad showing, aside from the last quarter of a game vs Pittsburgh, who they dominated in the postseason. Domination of Big Ben, Brady, and MVP Cam vs Daniel Jones and Josh Johnson. 

They were an elite defense with historic sack numbers but they weren’t an all-time unit.

• Like 3

I don’t think so. The offensive play calling has gotten too good. There’s just too many different things you’re trying to stop now. 

I mean I guess maybe if you have a super talented defense and the same year all the teams with top QBs have something holding them back(injuries, lack of talent, awful OC.) But no I don’t think you can build a defense that stops this years Chiefs.

Yes. It happens every few years, and it seems like every time the goal posts are moved with the same question being asked. As if a truly great defense won't come around the corner again. It just takes the right mix of acquired talent, and luck to go the distance in a 3 or 4 game slate. Even in this era of offensive-fueled ball, it's not surprising that it keeps happening. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It took two whole years from the 2013 Seahawks defense, which was historically great, to get the 2015 Broncos unit - which, let's be honest, in 10 years absolutely nobody is going to remember.

So yes, we will absolutely see another "great" defense, most likely soon.

“Nobody is going to remember” aka, just AFlaccoSeagulls.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I get that but even those Broncos weren't holding everyone to "7" the whole year. 

The part that people overlook is how the offenses affected the defense.   Not trying to discredit the Eagles defense, but they had a major luxury of being consistently well rested and never really had to carry the team on its back the way defenses such as the 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2008 Steelers and 2015 Broncos often had to.

Again, the Eagles defense was terrific, but would it have been as good if they had to regular make up for the offenses ineptitude?    🤔

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t think so. The offensive play calling has gotten too good. There’s just too many different things you’re trying to stop now. 

I mean I guess maybe if you have a super talented defense and the same year all the teams with top QBs have something holding them back(injuries, lack of talent, awful OC.) But no I don’t think you can build a defense that stops this years Chiefs.

I remember someone saying the biggest advantage modern QBs have over older QBs is not rule changes, it’s offensive playing calling. 

Forget  the 1980’s, even compared to let’s say 2005 it’s night and day on a regular basis how far playcalling has come, even for the bad teams. Go back and watch a typical game form let’s say that era and see how conservative and vanilla the  playcalling is 

Edited by CP3MVP