1st round draft choices

OneTwoSixFive

Round 1. On the clock  

48 members have voted

1. 1. The Packers decide to stay at pick 15. When their turn comes round, all the 10 players shown below are on the board. Who do you pick ? If you pick someone not listed say why. If you are torn between two prospects and can't easily separate them, pick one guy and list the alternative guy in a post below. Poll closes after 24 Feb.

• RB Bijan Robinson 6'0", 220 Texas
    • TE Michael Mayer 6'4", 251 Notre Dame
    • OT Peter Skoronski 6'4", 294 Northestern
    • OT Broderick Jones 6'4", 315 Georgia
    • WR Quentin Johnston 6'4", 212 TCU
    • WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba 6'0", 198 Ohio St.
    • DT Bryan Bresee 6'5", 300 Clemson
    • S Brian Branch 6'0", 194 Alabama
    • Edge Isiah Foskey 6'5", 260 Notre Dame
    • Edge Lukas Van Ness 6'5", 269 Iowa

I'm a Bijan Robinson guy. It doesn't make any sense for us after restructuring Jones and because of position value but if I had a gun to my head to name a future HOF player from this class it would easily by him. 10,000 yards and 100 TDs over/under I'd put my $ on the over. Dude's that good. 

• Like 3

Went with Skoronski, though was also considering Branch. But at the end of the day, gotta reinforce the trenches, & we’ve already been sinking a lot of previous draft capital into defense (esp secondary). OL tends to have a lower bust rate, & OT can give a lot of bang for the buck on a rookie deal. Even if Skoronski only ends up being a good OG, it feels like a safe pick. Bakhtiari will probably be a cap casualty in 2024, & Yosh won’t be around long. 

Safety is still a need, but it is cheaper to fill in FA, & GB has proven able to fill in with passable DB’s like Ford. 

TE & EDG look like they might be deep in this draft, so could fill those on day 2. Hard to feel good about drafting a WR in round 1, given GB’s success with WR’s in round 2 (though I guess you could make a similar argument against drafting Skoronski in the 1st). 

Bijan looks special enough to make an exception for R1 rb’s, but it just doesn’t seem to fit, given AJones restructure,  unless they trade Dillon. 

• Like 1

Some interesting choices here. I would be fine with Skoronski because he makes the right side of our line better Week 1. 

I think Gute will love Bresee but he won't contribute right away.

No thanks on Branch. 

JSN would arguably be the biggest instant contributor in 2023 and should at least be considered if Rodgers comes back. 

Van Ness would be a satisfactory pick for me but not my first choice.

I picked Skoronski because it's a relatively safe choice.  I think he could start at guard week one.  Then, as the season goes on, and into next year, you start deciding who the tackles will be -Tom, Skoronski, maybe Nijman, if he's sticks around, or a possibly more developed Walker or Jones...because I'm thinking Bahktiari will be on the way out (contract/age/durability).

That said, I won't be surprised or disappointed at Bresse, or Foskey/Van Ness- we absolutely need edge investment.

Really don't like the idea of TE Mayer or the two wideouts at 15.  I think RB Robinson is going to be a star, but I'm cautious about the value of drafting RB early.

This is a fun poll to see what folks are thinking-thanks for posting

1 hour ago, DamSamn said:

I picked Skoronski because it's a relatively safe choice.  I think he could start at guard week one.  Then, as the season goes on, and into next year, you start deciding who the tackles will be -Tom, Skoronski, maybe Nijman, if he's sticks around, or a possibly more developed Walker or Jones...because I'm thinking Bahktiari will be on the way out (contract/age/durability).

That said, I won't be surprised or disappointed at Bresse, or Foskey/Van Ness- we absolutely need edge investment.

Really don't like the idea of TE Mayer or the two wideouts at 15.  I think RB Robinson is going to be a star, but I'm cautious about the value of drafting RB early.

This is a fun poll to see what folks are thinking-thanks for posting

Regarding Robinson:  I am not a fan of drafting RBs high, or paying them.  But he is really good.  Also to consider, if the Packers are to take a RB at all, it is probably gong to be a redshirt year for that back.  We already have two good RBs that know the protections and have already been invested in, second contract for Jones and second round pick for Dillon. Whichever guy would be the odd man out, is a decent investment sitting on the bench.  I would be a lot more interested in a RB next season when (I think) both of our RBs are FAs.

I am also kind of curious about the Skoronski love across the group here.  Is JRJ that bad that he needs to be replaced? I feel like he is solid, and while I probably don't make him a big priority for a second contract, I think we have shown that investing in guards later is not a bad value.  And I also like Walker's game at RT in the preseason last year.  I feel like between Walker and Jones we have a future RT on the squad already.  But as a disclaimer, I REALLY like the 2022 Packers draft class.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

You and I get full credit if we end up taking Keion. Not many people talking about him yet.

He'll be a guy to watch at the combine because right now projections on him are all over the place. Daniel Jeremiah has him at #8 overall, but others have him as a guy who could be available at end of 1st round. https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2023/keion-white