Saints Sign Derek Carr (4 Years 150m)

goldfishwars

7 minutes ago, Kingram said:

As opposed to? NFL teams don't tank and the Saints aren't bad enough to finish in the top 5, especially in that division. Anything can happen in the playoffs with a great defense. 

I am not so sure the Saints are even a lock to win the South with Carr at QB. Carolina will be making moves as well as Atlanta. My main point is you just don't have the correct HC/QB combo to do anything past winning a bad division, and while there is no question Carr is an upgrade from what you had I just don't see this being a piece in an eventual championship team. This is a signing that is meant to give Allen a bit more longevity and nothing more.

I simply don't see the Saints being anything other than a competitive team going forward, very similar to what the Raiders had been in previous years.

5 minutes ago, Ty21 said:
17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why is everyone omitting Alvin Kamara when talking about WRs? I’d argue his presence in the passion game exceeds a lot of teams’ #2 WR situations.

Kamara takes a ton of weight off the WR unit.

Didn’t his passion game lead to his assault and battery case?

You’re thinking about Deshaun’s passion. Kamara‘s passion is going 7/85/2 in the passing game.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Ehhhh…. Not like there’s much to compete against in the NFC. You got Philly and SF, Dallas continues to make themselves look like dolts in the playoffs, Seattle and LAR are still reworking, nobody in the NFCN should be taken seriously…

The Saints COULD make a run, depending on how the playoff seeding falls.

Even if they don't...I don't get this narrative that making the playoffs is somehow a bad thing. This isn't the NBA. You can't trade a few guys, tank and turn the franchise around in 2-3 years. 

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am not so sure the Saints are even a lock to win the South with Carr at QB. Carolina will be making moves as well as Atlanta. My main point is you just don't have the correct HC/QB combo to do anything past winning a bad division, and while there is no question Carr is an upgrade from what you had I just don't see this being a piece in an eventual championship team. This is a signing that is meant to give Allen a bit more longevity and nothing more.

I simply don't see the Saints being anything other than a competitive team going forward, very similar to what the Raiders had been in previous years.

Raiders with a way better defense and OL. Sure.

• Like 1

Also Saints fans, beware Carr's weird *** family. Not so much his wife/kids, but his brothers and cousins. All very vocal to the media + on social media. I think 95% of Raider Nation is blocked on Twitter by those weirdos. 

They think DC is literally god and anyone who points out a single negative they jump on you. It's hilarious to watch.

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

Ehhhh…. Not like there’s much to compete against in the NFC. You got Philly and SF, Dallas continues to make themselves look like dolts in the playoffs, Seattle and LAR are still reworking, nobody in the NFCN should be taken seriously…

The Saints COULD make a run, depending on how the playoff seeding falls.

NYG are definitely a team on the rise. So are the Lions. The Vikings with a real defense go from frauds to a real team. Carolina has a lot of pieces for success and put together a good coaching staff, if they can get the QB right they could take a jump. There are obviously unknowns, but I don't think this team is a contender going forward. If they prove me wrong so be it, but I don't see this Allen/Carr marriage as one that works out in the long run.

• Like 2

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Also Saints fans, beware Carr's weird *** family. Not so much his wife/kids, but his brothers and cousins. All very vocal to the media + on social media. I think 95% of Raider Nation is blocked on Twitter by those weirdos. 

They think DC is literally god and anyone who points out a single negative they jump on you. It's hilarious to watch.

He's not wrong. David and Darren are mighty strange people especially when anything negative is said about Derek.

• Like 1

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

NYG are definitely a team on the rise. So are the Lions. The Vikings with a real defense go from frauds to a real team. Carolina has a lot of pieces for success and put together a good coaching staff, if they can get the QB right they could take a jump. There are obviously unknowns, but I don't think this team is a contender going forward. If they prove me wrong so be it, but I don't see this Allen/Carr marriage as one that works out in the long run.

I have a hard time understanding how you can consider the Vikings with a real defense a real team, when the Saints with Carr are literally the Vikings with a defense.

• Like 2

Contract will be interesting to see. Likely very low cap hit in year 1 and a huge quaranteed roster bonus in year 2, which will be spread out for 5 more years. Cap situation for the Saints is as good as it has been the previous years. They will release Winston now and likely try to resign Onyemata and will be under the cap before Carr. All that without some major restructures...

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean… I get it. Not sure if I agree (specifically the Giants, who are a prime regression candidate with potential losses at RB and QB) but I think the current iteration of the Saints plus Carr is a division winner, which is all you really need in the NFC.

3 minutes ago, Kingram said:

I have a hard time understanding how you can consider the Vikings with a real defense a real team, when the Saints with Carr are literally the Vikings with a defense.

Exactly! It really makes no sense. I think just about any logical person would view the Saints as favorites in the NFC South right now. That’s not saying the Saints are some juggernaut, but more the current state of the NFC South (and NFC as a whole).

1 minute ago, Kingram said:

They aren't literally anything. The Vikings have a real HC who has shown he can run a top tier offense with elite weapons. If they had even a mediocre defense this past year they would have won a playoff game. The Saints have retread Allen who has done nothing but put up losing seasons as a HC. To me it is clear as day where the Saints are in the NFC picture. Right in the middle. And I don't see them leaving that spot with their current regime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Exactly! It really makes no sense. I think just about any logical person would view the Saints as favorites in the NFC South right now. That’s not saying the Saints are some juggernaut, but more the current state of the NFC South (and NFC as a whole).

Favorites in the NFC South doesn't make you a contender. It just makes you the favorites in a bad division.

• Like 1

Just now, tyler735 said:

I'm just confused how you can like the Vikings if they get a defense but not like the Saints...who have a defense. Carr and Cousins are similar players. Jefferson is a beast but Olave and the WR core is more than adequate. Kamara is a great pass catcher, although I know he's likely to miss 4-6 games. Saints OL is better than Vikings. Defense is unquestionably better.

• Like 1