2023 NFL offseason

Forge

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

The fact that it's really even a competition largely tells me what I need to know on Lance 😂

I think the project QB is a project, and it says as much about the coach and team.  I don't think Kyle has the patience to develop a young QB, or he has far more patience than any of us, and he had a three year development plan in the back of his mind all along.  

I think they brought in Darnold because of Darnold.  They liked the value, they had inside information on him from WIlks, CMC, and even Gore if that counts.  

We are all talking about the QB comp like we didn't literally run out of QB's last year.  The three of them played a combined 15ish regular season games last year.  Purdy was hurt his 8th game, Lance his 2nd, and Darnold his whatever-th game.  I think the conversation will go from playing the best one to playing the healthy one pretty quickly.  It's possible Brandon Allen sees a snap next year.

• Like 1

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Offseason Grade: C

The addition of Javon Hargrave to an already dominant defense is the only thing saving this from a very bad offseason grade. Hargrave accounted for 57 total pressures last season for the Eagles, more than double any 49ers interior lineman. Clelin Ferrell is a far more quietly solid addition to the defensive front, and Sam Darnold could easily end up starting at quarterback if Brock Purdy’s elbow doesn’t heal quickly enough.

In the draft, it’s difficult to argue that anything the 49ers did was the result of good process. They reached relative to the PFF and consensus big boards at most picks and drafted a kicker in the third round.

Pff gave us the worst off season grade in the league this year lol. Mainly because of the draft (i have rarely seen a draft as reviled as our this year and I'm kind of used to people hating on niners drafts under shanny / lynch, even though they have been proven to know what they are doing lol)

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pff gave us the worst off season grade in the league this year lol. Mainly because of the draft (i have rarely seen a draft as reviled as our this year and I'm kind of used to people hating on niners drafts under shanny / lynch, even though they have been proven to know what they are doing lol)

They did seem to want their draft to be reviled lol. I only didn't like Latu; even if I disagreed with the process behind the Moody pick, it's a third round pick. It's not the same value loss as like the Jahmyr Gibbs thing - he has to be McCaffrey or Faulk for that pick not to be ludicrous. Even if he is like Reggie Bush, it doesn't make sense. I do think that a lot of the positive pile on for teams that took falling players is knee-jerk nonsense.

I like a lot of Philly's process, but their habit of grabbing "the falling guys" in the draft that the consensus loves has a rough track record so far. Andre Dillard, Jalen Reagor, even last year's Nakobe Dean pick seemed like they jumped on risk that other teams didn't want and they ate the hurt on that risk. Their good process of acquiring a ton of first round picks and players at important positions has smoothed those misses out. And they do have a bunch of Georgia kids around to try and be big brothers for Jalen Carter. But most other teams couldn't stomach the risk on the most talented player in the draft. And it wasn't as though they weren't doing due diligence. Could certainly be a major coup in the vein of Warren Sapp or Laremy Tunsil. But there is major risk there that you just won't get anything out of a prime asset.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Forge said:

People keep hating the draft classes, yet the 49ers draft well and do an even better job at developing guys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

People keep hating the draft classes, yet the 49ers draft well and do an even better job at developing guys. 

I love this draft class! Latu is probably the only one that still has me shaking my head, but if it had happened later? I would have had no issue at all. Moody surprised me--but it shouldn't have, when I think about it. I like the pick and think it is justified. Favorites are definitely Brown, Willis, Winters and Beal. Really hoping those guys develop quickly. 

20 hours ago, Forge said:

I honestly don't put much stock in offseason grades, I like what we did this offseason, we couldn't bring back the majority of our UFAs, just facts, it's not like Philly didn't lose a ton of players too, yet they get whatever they got cause they got the two UGA Defenders.

Anyway, this regime has shown the pundits that they know better than they do, same with fans who think they know what's best.

44 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Anyway, this regime has shown the pundits that they know better than they do, same with fans who think they know what's best.

This forum should make the first round picks.... otherwise you are spot on 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

He's not wrong though, just saying😏

He's just using awful logic and being a clown which isn't uncommon. 

"If Brian hoyer isn't going anything special, why are the browns so bad with Johnny manziel"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erscap said:

He's not wrong though, just saying😏

Meh. If Josh Johnson is you're only hope, you've already failed.

I take nothing away from what Purdy did as a undrafted rookie. 

But that take is seriously misguided...

• Like 1

So the Darnold thing aside.....I think it is the worst kept secret that Purdy starts the season on the PUP list. All the talk of Lynch making it seem like Purdy will be ready for TC is BS. Shanny is more realistic but Lynch is making it seem like it is a given that Purdy will be ready lol.

• Like 1