Za’Darius Smith: And He’s Loose?

gopherwrestler

20 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Zero chance I cut him if I'm the Vikings. If he wants to be gone, I'd trade him 

A trade is best case scenario. At the same time I don’t want to sit on his salary if it prevents us from signing someone right away in FA, doesn’t do us any good if he doesn’t want to be here.

Why does he want out?  What he thinks he can get more money somewhere else or is afraid the Vikings will switch to more of a 4/3 front?  Apparently he put his house up for sale or something...

Honestly he did play better than any player the Vikings had on the edge but is clearly used to that system more than the rest.  If they do release him I would not mind going back to a 4/3 front.  Patrick Jones benefited from being in a 3/4 but not sure anyone else really did improve that much by it.  

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

A trade is best case scenario. At the same time I don’t want to sit on his salary if it prevents us from signing someone right away in FA, doesn’t do us any good if he doesn’t want to be here.

Sure he does. He’ll still play and play hard so he doesn’t tank his earning potential. And if he doesn’t play, he’ll sit out a year and make no money. Other than being discontent, he has no leverage. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Other than being discontent, he has no leverage. 

that's exactly right.

and with that player poll coming out lately, ranking the Vikings at the top for player treatment, Z can't go negative on the team either. he'd be committing career suicide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

that's exactly right.

and with that player poll coming out lately, ranking the Vikings at the top for player treatment, Z can't go negative on the team either. he'd be committing career suicide.

Career suicide is a bit extreme to say. He can easily say Minny is a fantastic team, organization and city, but i need to try a warmer climate for the next chapter of my playing career. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Career suicide is a bit extreme to say. He can easily say Minny is a fantastic team, organization and city, but i need to try a warmer climate for the next chapter of my playing career. 

umm... we play in a dome. as does Detroit, who we play every year.

• Like 1

I wonder if they are trying to add years and spread the money out. He almost certainly is asking for his release for money reasons. He's very underpaid, is aging, and sees that he's probably only got one more shot at a multi year deal with good guarantees.

If I had to guess I'd say trade is most likely, followed by extension/renegotiated deal, with outright release being least likely.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3

I’d be fine with the Vikings trading Smith, Patrick Jones in my opinion flashed enough last year to warrant a shot at the starting job. Obviously, we need to bring in some competition for him whether a cheap FA or a rookie. The combination of Danielle Hunter and Patrick Jones as starters would be enough to get by this year in Flore’s aggressive scheme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWinfield26 said:

I’d be fine with the Vikings trading Smith, Patrick Jones in my opinion flashed enough last year to warrant a shot at the starting job. Obviously, we need to bring in some competition for him whether a cheap FA or a rookie. The combination of Danielle Hunter and Patrick Jones as starters would be enough to get by this year in Flore’s aggressive scheme.

That’s how I’m seeing it to. You can’t rebuild a defense without some youth stepping into spot. If they go this route, maybe focus on DL and secondary upgrades.

• Like 1