Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Those rumors that were flying as recently as yesterday were FALSE.

Jimmy is healthy and ready to roll in camp. 

The positive part is that the team said all along this was gonna happen since March

I hit it right on the head the end of July.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Correct. Finally some positive news going into camp which the team never wavered from

Reading some of the posts from recently you would think he was already cut and Hoyer was the starter. I’ve never seen this forum so emotional and negative before a game has even been played. Before training camp even. 

Saw the Jimmy news and I’m hyped for the season. Some of the posters here should probably take a break. Thanks for keeping things a bit optimistic lol

• Like 5

1 hour ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Reading some of the posts from recently you would think he was already cut and Hoyer was the starter. I’ve never seen this forum so emotional and negative before a game has even been played. Before training camp even. 

Saw the Jimmy news and I’m hyped for the season. Some of the posters here should probably take a break. Thanks for keeping things a bit optimistic lol

Thanks I’m hyped for the season as well I try to look on the positive side with all the changes

Ive never seen it so negative either before the season even started.

It almost like there’s posters wanting this gm/coach/Qb to fail. Players and coaches come go but they are Raiders now. It isn’t just this forum either, it is all over. YouTube, Twitter etc. 

I could understand fans venting frustration over a losing team after 15 weeks but everyone is 0-0 now. It’s been 9 months without a raider football and I’m looking forward to it

• 3 weeks later...

So, I’ve been quite realistic I think in what we can expect of Jimmy Garoppolo and realistic in thinking he’s a better fit for the type of game plan that McDaniels want to use and the types of timing, short and intermediate passes we may be trying to attack with. 

What if, Jimmy Garoppolo executes this scheme really well, stays reasonably healthy and the offence takes off and is efficient in the red zone, good on third downs and moves the ball efficiently? Is there a justification for moving forward with Garoppolo and not just using him as a 2 year stop gap? Does anyone see him as a potential mid to long term QB answer?

I know he’s around 31 but in this age where a number of QBs are playing into late 30s and some even into their 40s with added protection from hits and so on, is it at all feasible that we’ll pass on looking to draft a rookie QB high next year and try and build the team up around Garoppolo? He did after all prove he was good enough to take San Francisco to the Super Bowl. 

56 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

So, I’ve been quite realistic I think in what we can expect of Jimmy Garoppolo and realistic in thinking he’s a better fit for the type of game plan that McDaniels want to use and the types of timing, short and intermediate passes we may be trying to attack with. 

What if, Jimmy Garoppolo executes this scheme really well, stays reasonably healthy and the offence takes off and is efficient in the red zone, good on third downs and moves the ball efficiently? Is there a justification for moving forward with Garoppolo and not just using him as a 2 year stop gap? Does anyone see him as a potential mid to long term QB answer?

I know he’s around 31 but in this age where a number of QBs are playing into late 30s and some even into their 40s with added protection from hits and so on, is it at all feasible that we’ll pass on looking to draft a rookie QB high next year and try and build the team up around Garoppolo? He did after all prove he was good enough to take San Francisco to the Super Bowl. 

Well, I would say it depends on the circumstances and opportunities we have.

If he executes well in the scheme and we pick let's say between the 18th and 22th pick I don't think that we go all-in for a QB in the first unless our top QB on the board is available at pick 10-12. If not, I think we'd rather pick a DT, CB or OT and look for a QB later. At Least that's what I would expect from this regime to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

Well, I would say it depends on the circumstances and opportunities we have.

If he executes well in the scheme and we pick let's say between the 18th and 22th pick I don't think that we go all-in for a QB in the first unless our top QB on the board is available at pick 10-12. If not, I think we'd rather pick a DT, CB or OT and look for a QB later. At Least that's what I would expect from this regime to do.

Good point, though do you think it would be lack of opportunity in picking too low down to get an elite prospect or us thinking he did well and let’s ride with Garoppolo for a few seasons?

For me, if Garoppolo is as good a fit as is being pushed and he does come in and play really well then I’d say we maybe should build the team up first and look at QB in a few years time. The other argument may be that you grab your QB when he’s there if you think he can be ‘the guy’ or else you’ll end up settling for less.

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Good point, though do you think it would be lack of opportunity in picking too low down to get an elite prospect or us thinking he did well and let’s ride with Garoppolo for a few seasons?

For me, if Garoppolo is as good a fit as is being pushed and he does come in and play really well then I’d say we maybe should build the team up first and look at QB in a few years time. The other argument may be that you grab your QB when he’s there if you think he can be ‘the guy’ or else you’ll end up settling for less.

I think that's hard to answer. If Garoppolo succeeds they will for sure want to ride with him a few seasons.
But Ziegler's a guy who sticks to his board, so if there's a QB prospect availabel who they are high on (and other high prospects are gone), i don't think that they will hesitate to take that opportunity.

e.g. one of Maye or Williams would fall like Rodgers in the draft and are there on pick 15.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I have reservations due to his health, but if the scenario you posted comes to fruition, I think you can roll with Jimmy G for the foreseeable future. However, I would implore the front office to take some swings at a QB on day 2, or in a special circumstance, round 1.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I've said this a thousand times now, he took the #2 rushing attack and #8 scoring defense to the SB.  The amount of credit he gets for taking that team to a SB is crazy.  It's not like he took the #20 rushing attack and #16 scoring defense to the SB (Patrick Mahomes in 2022).  

I hope we don't keep him.  I doubt we will ever have a team as good as the 2019 49ers at the rate we are going, so we're definitely going to need a QB that can do better than lose a SB with such a stacked roster.

• Like 2

Jimmy G is a game manager. He's a good stopgap and can likely guide a potent offense. Role with him until you identify your franchise guy. 

Eventually, need to face facts. This team isn't competing in the AFC without an upgrade at QB. Carr wasn't that guy, Jimmy G is not that guy. They will need to take a swing to get that guy. They tried to trade to #1 overall, so clearly they know what they need. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Jimmy G is a game manager. He's a good stopgap and can likely guide a potent offense. Role with him until you identify your franchise guy. 

Eventually, need to face facts. This team isn't competing in the AFC without an upgrade at QB. Carr wasn't that guy, Jimmy G is not that guy. They will need to take a swing to get that guy. They tried to trade to #1 overall, so clearly they know what they need. 

So basically we’re wasting adams time?

• Like 1