Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I've seen more from Wolford whos been in live action than I have in Trask lol. It would not surprise me if Trash is #3 again. 

That's my point. Wolford has been given the opportunity to play in regular season games, so he has a sample size you cqan judge off of. Trask hasn't yet, so we need to reserve the judgement on if he can play or not until we see that, which we will at some point this season IMO. 

17 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's my point. Wolford has been given the opportunity to play in regular season games, so he has a sample size you cqan judge off of. Trask hasn't yet, so we need to reserve the judgement on if he can play or not until we see that, which we will at some point this season IMO. 

yeah , unless Baker is on fire all year, they are more than likely going to role out Trask at some point this upcoming season

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 3:23 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

But the sample size we've seen Trask play in and analysis is he hasn't even earned back up duties. When they had a chance to give him reps over Blaine week 18 - they didn't. In Camp - he was no where near at Blaines level. Even in preseason. 

My take is - Trask's development from last season to this year needs to be huge and a GIANT step to beating out Baker. I get the whole " he didn't get the opportunity to play" yet he also hasn't played well enough in Practice/TC/preseason to earn it either. 

I do think theres a solid chance he doesn't even win the #2 job. 

23 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

But the sample size we've seen Trask play in and analysis is he hasn't even earned back up duties. When they had a chance to give him reps over Blaine week 18 - they didn't. In Camp - he was no where near at Blaines level. Even in preseason. 

My take is - Trask's development from last season to this year needs to be huge and a GIANT step to beating out Baker. I get the whole " he didn't get the opportunity to play" yet he also hasn't played well enough in Practice/TC/preseason to earn it either. 

I do think theres a solid chance he doesn't even win the #2 job. 

I thibnk you're reading way too much into him not playing over Gabbert last year. Gabbert was on this roster as a contingency plan to TB12 getting hurt. He was a guy who knew the offense inside/out and had multiple game startting experience in his career and specifically in this offense. They kept him on because they were all-in win mode last year. They weren't gonna put Trask in and go through the growing pains that come with playing a rookie QB. When the drafted him they said he was a guy who was going to have  significant learning curve before he was ready to be a thought as a starter. It's more of a reflection of that than it was anything else IMO.  

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I thibnk you're reading way too much into him not playing over Gabbert last year. Gabbert was on this roster as a contingency plan to TB12 getting hurt. He was a guy who knew the offense inside/out and had multiple game startting experience in his career and specifically in this offense. They kept him on because they were all-in win mode last year. They weren't gonna put Trask in and go through the growing pains that come with playing a rookie QB. When the drafted him they said he was a guy who was going to have  significant learning curve before he was ready to be a thought as a starter. It's more of a reflection of that than it was anything else IMO.  

Its not reading into what Gabbert was to TB12. Its reading and watching the film. Even being at the TC practices last year live where they split 1st team reps: Trask was TERRIBLE compared to Blaine. Preseason - same thing. 

It'll be cool if he wins the job....sure. But i'm not holding my breath. I just don't see it. Have it seen it. 

54 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Its not reading into what Gabbert was to TB12. Its reading and watching the film. Even being at the TC practices last year live where they split 1st team reps: Trask was TERRIBLE compared to Blaine. Preseason - same thing. 

It'll be cool if he wins the job....sure. But i'm not holding my breath. I just don't see it. Have it seen it. 

I get it and I'm not advocating that he really showed anything of value last year in camp/preseason, but again it all goes back to him being a 2nd round pick and bringing him along slowly per their plan.

He's gonna get a chance to play regular season games at some point this season, whether he wins the job out of the gate or not. They invested too much to not put him out there to truly see what they have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I get it and I'm not advocating that he really showed anything of value last year in camp/preseason, but again it all goes back to him being a 2nd round pick and bringing him along slowly per their plan.

He's gonna get a chance to play regular season games at some point this season, whether he wins the job out of the gate or not. They invested too much to not put him out there to truly see what they have.

I get it to a certain extent. But here you have teams like the cardinals who didn't hesitate to give away Rosen when they realized he wasnt a starting QB. New coach but was the same GM. I don't think the 64th pick is a lot to invest in a QB who hasnt shown much after two years. we shall see

On 5/19/2023 at 7:05 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

I get it to a certain extent. But here you have teams like the cardinals who didn't hesitate to give away Rosen when they realized he wasnt a starting QB. New coach but was the same GM. I don't think the 64th pick is a lot to invest in a QB who hasnt shown much after two years. we shall see

Rosen had 14 regular season games before the Cardinals moved on at the end of that season. Even that was thought to be an oddity for a team to do that, but he got a sizable course to show himself. Trask hasn't.

18 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Rosen had 14 regular season games before the Cardinals moved on at the end of that season. Even that was thought to be an oddity for a team to do that, but he got a sizable course to show himself. Trask hasn't.

Rosen had the worst supporting cast and Head coach his rookie year though. Something that I keep hearing about why Trask plays like Trash in preseason and the stint he got in the regular seasoon last year lol 

15 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Rosen had the worst supporting cast and Head coach his rookie year though. Something that I keep hearing about why Trask plays like Trash in preseason and the stint he got in the regular seasoon last year lol 

Did Rosen though? His supporting cast wasn't all that different. He had a in his prime David Johnson at RB, a HOF WR in Fitzgerald, who was on the decline, but was still very productive and an emerging Christian Kirk. The O-line wasn't great, but it did feature a couple guys who were pro-bowl level. 

I don't want to sit here and have anyone think I'm like a Trask apologist on ranything, becuase I'm not. He's definitely taken longer than antipcated to come along and hasn't really shown anything to this point to stand out. Now with that said, I don't get the vendetta you seem to have against him. His pre-season numbers were not great, but they were far from ungodly as being portrayed. And he did play large portions of both TC and pre-season with the 2nd and 3rd team offense. 

He's played all of 1 quarter of an NFL game, so to me, it's not the best approach to write him off as being any kind of viable option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Did Rosen though? His supporting cast wasn't all that different. He had a in his prime David Johnson at RB, a HOF WR in Fitzgerald, who was on the decline, but was still very productive and an emerging Christian Kirk. The O-line wasn't great, but it did feature a couple guys who were pro-bowl level. 

I don't want to sit here and have anyone think I'm like a Trask apologist on ranything, becuase I'm not. He's definitely taken longer than antipcated to come along and hasn't really shown anything to this point to stand out. Now with that said, I don't get the vendetta you seem to have against him. His pre-season numbers were not great, but they were far from ungodly as being portrayed. And he did play large portions of both TC and pre-season with the 2nd and 3rd team offense. 

He's played all of 1 quarter of an NFL game, so to me, it's not the best approach to write him off as being any kind of viable option.

I'll just lay this one out there. The fact he was more on par with Ryan Griffin the last two years from a performance standpoint than Blaine Gabbert is HIGHLY concerning. I think giving them the equal reps is more so is "we spent a 2nd round pick on you. Heres' your chance to show us you've grown and developed". To be honest - bringing in Baker , the way his last two seasons have spiraled - is a winnable battle in my opinion to a 2nd round prospect. But if I had to pick - an average Baker Mayfield might be 5X better than what Trask is lol. 

I honestly cannot sit here and say i've seen or heard anything positive out of Trask from One Buc Place that says - theres confidence that he will win the job in Tampa. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 10:20 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

I'll just lay this one out there. The fact he was more on par with Ryan Griffin the last two years from a performance standpoint than Blaine Gabbert is HIGHLY concerning. I think giving them the equal reps is more so is "we spent a 2nd round pick on you. Heres' your chance to show us you've grown and developed". To be honest - bringing in Baker , the way his last two seasons have spiraled - is a winnable battle in my opinion to a 2nd round prospect. But if I had to pick - an average Baker Mayfield might be 5X better than what Trask is lol. 

I honestly cannot sit here and say i've seen or heard anything positive out of Trask from One Buc Place that says - theres confidence that he will win the job in Tampa. 

You gotta remember though, he was a project QB when we took him. The Bucs FO came out as said this much, that essentially his rookie year was going to be the understudy to TB12 and Gabbert. it was him learning all the ins/outs of the position and how to prepare as both a starter and back-up. They never had any intention of him taking meaningful practice snaps away from Gabbert because they needed Gabbert to be able to step-in and be ready to go in the event Brady went down. 

Now, year (2) he didn't progress at the rate they expected, but again him not seeing the amount of reps we all would have liked,  IMO was more of the state of this team. They were in win now mode and regardless of if Gabbert was higher/lower on their rankings, he gave them the best chance to win now given his experience and familiarity with the offense. 

With the veteran Gabbert now out of the picture, this is the time to draw concern if we get to camp and Trask isn't splitting 1st team reps, or is loosing 2nd team reps to a guy like Wolford. Then that tells me they're not really considering him, or that he just doesn't have it in their eyes. This is the offseason he will finally get a true unbiased look and chance to earn the gig. There will be no excuse if he falters then, but until that point I don't think you can hold the last (2) offseasons against him given the state of the team and it's construction.

Dave Canales basically gave the same endorsement of Trask and Baker, so I legit think they're going to both see time this season.

Edited by kgarrett12486

On 5/22/2023 at 11:20 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Also kinda hard to compare Trask to Griff, when Griff had legit years on years of being at One Buc place 😂

Trask took time to develop and was a late bloomer even at UF so it makes sense that he's taking a bit here, maybe he blossoms like he did his senior year at UF or maybe hes hot trash and Baker is the guy

im just happy we did what we did by giving both these guys an opportunity, rather than draft another guy high or try to go get an expensive vet

I keep seeing pundits **** all over us for "not committing to the full rebuild" but damn our team looks good everywhere bar QB and a few positions, we can still win games, no need to full tank imo

On 5/24/2023 at 11:22 AM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Also kinda hard to compare Trask to Griff, when Griff had legit years on years of being at One Buc place 😂

Trask took time to develop and was a late bloomer even at UF so it makes sense that he's taking a bit here, maybe he blossoms like he did his senior year at UF or maybe hes hot trash and Baker is the guy

im just happy we did what we did by giving both these guys an opportunity, rather than draft another guy high or try to go get an expensive vet

I keep seeing pundits **** all over us for "not committing to the full rebuild" but damn our team looks good everywhere bar QB and a few positions, we can still win games, no need to full tank imo

No griffin was what a 7th round /UDFA? From a talent perspective, if you're a 2nd round pick, there's no excuse that you have not yet fully outplayed Ryan freaking Griffin lol, come on dude. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 5:09 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

If Kyle wins the job - it would be a huge surprise in my opinion. The guy has struggled to beat Ryan Griffin for reps over the last two offseasons. Some fans on here will claim Blaine was never going to lose the job while brady was here. But reality is - Gabbert was clearly far and away the better QB the last two seasons with Trask on board. A second round pick shouldn't be that far behind the eight ball of barely beating out Ryan Griffin two years in a row. 

I have my reservations on Baker Mayfield but no doubt a 4 million with certain incentives - it's rather low risk. I'd rather take this over Daniel Jones at 45 million per year for 3 years guaranteed any day of the week. To me if Baker sucks and wins 3-4 games - its a win (drake may ; Caleb Williams positioning). If he wins 6 games its a loss (QB purgatory). If he wins 10 games its a win (possibly a WC or division pending how bad the south is). With Baker - honestly, all 3 scenarios of results can play out. 

Sense cousins is the best qb you will face this year kudos to Mayfield. 

Congratulations on your win

• Like 1