Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

On 4/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, RedandPewterReturns said:

lol both valid points. But frankly this has to stop. The interest in Odell is similar to Baker - both wanted at salaries that a minimal. Baker signed his deal at the rate he should sign at for a prove it deal. 

Odell thinks he's worth 15MM . He's not anymore given injury and inconsistent character concerns. That is why Baker is signed and Odell isn't. If Odell ever accepts what teams value him at right now - he'll land on a team. But no one is taking that risk of giving him over 10MM a year for multiple seasons. 

Odell just signed a 1 year 18M deal. Baker signed for 10M less

thread closed

13 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Doesn't make it a wise decision...

In this particular instance with this particular team, I actually think it does make it a good decision. Even if it doesn't work out. This team needed to show their franchise QB they were serious about taking steps to get him a better supporting cast. This was one of the guys he wanted. This is a positive step in helping them bridge the gap for a deal. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

In this particular instance with this particular team, I actually think it does make it a good decision. Even if it doesn't work out. This team needed to show their franchise QB they were serious about taking steps to get him a better supporting cast. This was one of the guys he wanted. This is a positive step in helping them bridge the gap for a deal. 

I actually disagree. Lamar Jackson isn't Matt Stafford. For Odell to succeed, he needs not just a strong presence - but the strongest presence in the locker room - mentally. I can't say Lamar is that guy - especially if he doesn't get his 50 MM a year lol. 

Say what you want - but Lamar sat that playoff game to send a message to the organization to pay him. 

I'm still taking Baker at 4 MM over 15 on Odell. Baker's "immaturity " concerns are overblown. Odell has blown up locker rooms in two cities and refused to even entertain LAR's offer the last two years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

$15M gauranteed with incentives to take it to $18M. 

want to back-track this statement - yes/no only

How about the other 15 yes or no questions you did not answer

Let me 

Who was available that beat the following 

Roethlisberger 

Lamar

Allen

Burrows

Cousins 

Brees

Leshaun

Fields

Dak

Jones

Ryan

Loop Waiting GIF

Just now, mtmmike said:

Let me 

Roethlisberger 

Lamar

Allen

Burrows

Cousins 

Brees

Leshaun

Fields

Dak

Jones

Ryan

Loop Waiting GIF

Silence is golden 

Leshaun is getting payed more then

Mayfield but has never beaten Lamar

And is only 500 against Mayfield 

That makes him 1 win 4 losses against Mayfield,Burrows, and Lamar.

Historically bad

1 win 4 losses pay him 60

Million.

Are you saying berry is right haven taken a team from 26th draft pick

To 12 then paying a qb 46 million for 79 qb rating.

Jones makes 2.5 times as much as obj

Geno makes 2.5 as much as obj

Garropolo twice as much are you saying they are all right because they got payed.

Yes or no as a group chicken.

13 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I actually disagree. Lamar Jackson isn't Matt Stafford. For Odell to succeed, he needs not just a strong presence - but the strongest presence in the locker room - mentally. I can't say Lamar is that guy - especially if he doesn't get his 50 MM a year lol. 

Say what you want - but Lamar sat that playoff game to send a message to the organization to pay him. 

I'm still taking Baker at 4 MM over 15 on Odell. Baker's "immaturity " concerns are overblown. Odell has blown up locker rooms in two cities and refused to even entertain LAR's offer the last two years. 

I'm talking about it strictly from the eyes of the organization, not the on-field product. They clearly overpaid for OBJ, but they needed to in order to extend that olive branch to Jackson. I mean the reports are out there that the other offer he had on the table was for 1 year/$11M from the Jets. There is even the report that the OBJ gave him Joe Douglas the opportunity to match, but they declined. 

However, the Ravens needed this for purposes of starting to mend the fences with Lamar. Both sides have been critical of each other and the handling. It clear Lamar wanted OBJ and the Ravens did what it took to make sure he landed there. This all but secures the fact that Lamar will at least play on the tag in 2023 for them, becuase I don't think there is anyway OBJ would've agreed without a handshake deal in place that Lamar would be his QB this season. Remember, OBJ is motivated and playing on a prove it deal, so he wants to set himself up in the ebst position to cash in as well. 

This should be looked at as a win for the Ravens FO in helping them PR wise with Lamar. Overpaying on deal stings, but when it's a one year deal it's minimal consequence. 

Also, I do think we're going to see OBJ have a good season. Todd Monken coming in and the way he utilizes the deeper third of the field in his offense is going to help OBJ. OBJ isn't the same guy he was back in the day, but he can still get you 4-5 catches and 80-100 yards in his sleep. That's highly valuable still. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Let me 

Roethlisberger 

Lamar

Allen

Burrows

Cousins 

Brees

Leshaun

Fields

Dak

Jones

Ryan

Loop Waiting GIF

Dude, do you read anything you write. I've said this multiple times already. There is no way you can answer the questions you're asking with a yes/no response. I don't know why that is so hard for you to fathom. 

Literally look at your post above and tell me how? it's not possible lol. When you actually have a sensible question I'd be glad to answer and put reasoning behind it, like is the whole itnention of this site. 

2 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I don't get the excessive hate for Baker here....But I also don't understand the excessive love for him either lol. 

I think it's just agreed he was the most affordable option that had upside. Relying on Kyle Trash is quite risky when he hasn't even proven to be a backup at this level to date. 

He is what he is. Baker is a fringe starter and nothing more. It was a meh signing to me, but I get why we did it. Like you said, they couldn't rely on Trask and simply hand him the reigns. They needed to bring in a vet to push him and creat competition. I still think we're going to add a rookie QB somehere in the first (3) rounds of the draft because I don't think they're sold that the future QB is on this roster currently. 

I actually hope Baker comes in a lights it up this season. I still wouldn't give him a long-term deal, but it would be fun to watch.