Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Really hope this sentiment doesn't deter us from drafting a QB somewhere in this draft, as putting all your eggs in the Mayfield (who is a journeyman and has his own baggage) and Trask (who is unproven and questions on his ability) basket is risky at best.

I get not wanting to trade up or even taking one ay 19, but they need to draft someone somewhere in the first (4) rounds IMO. 

I think if one falls to 19 - the bucs may take him if they liked one of the 4. The reason Baker is here is bc the Bucs are in cap nightmare right now and should not mortgage future picks and all of their picks this year to move up for a QB. They actually need more picks to improve depth to the roster. 

On 4/12/2023 at 8:43 AM, NateDawg said:

Lots of good men have fallen. mike has left a trail of tears between Tampa and Cleveland now. 
arlingtonnationalcemetery.jpg

Nice look likes Mayfield will be in the hunt longer than obj And the Browns. 

Thank you Browns for trading him. 

You may want to put up the wall of Vietnam where my farther died.

Instead of Arlington 

No QB in the Draft? Looks like Baker will start for the Bucs. Kyle may have a slim chance of beating him out for the starting....okay, cannot finish that with a straight face that's just not going to happen. 🤣

Seriously, I think you guys are in for a surprise. You are going to get a focused, well prepared and studious Baker Mayfield. Don't let the recent crap from the enablers (I mean they did give a well documented womanizer $228 Million Guaranteed!) and failed organization that are the Browns influence what you expect from him. 

On 5/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, Chrissooner49er said:

No QB in the Draft? Looks like Baker will start for the Bucs. Kyle may have a slim chance of beating him out for the starting....okay, cannot finish that with a straight face that's just not going to happen. 🤣

Seriously, I think you guys are in for a surprise. You are going to get a focused, well prepared and studious Baker Mayfield. Don't let the recent crap from the enablers (I mean they did give a well documented womanizer $228 Million Guaranteed!) and failed organization that are the Browns influence what you expect from him. 

If Kyle wins the job - it would be a huge surprise in my opinion. The guy has struggled to beat Ryan Griffin for reps over the last two offseasons. Some fans on here will claim Blaine was never going to lose the job while brady was here. But reality is - Gabbert was clearly far and away the better QB the last two seasons with Trask on board. A second round pick shouldn't be that far behind the eight ball of barely beating out Ryan Griffin two years in a row. 

I have my reservations on Baker Mayfield but no doubt a 4 million with certain incentives - it's rather low risk. I'd rather take this over Daniel Jones at 45 million per year for 3 years guaranteed any day of the week. To me if Baker sucks and wins 3-4 games - its a win (drake may ; Caleb Williams positioning). If he wins 6 games its a loss (QB purgatory). If he wins 10 games its a win (possibly a WC or division pending how bad the south is). With Baker - honestly, all 3 scenarios of results can play out. 

10 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

"far and away" is a stretch lol

either way, it might be a rough year in 23

agreed. WIth Baker who knows....what he showed in 2020 - he's capable of winning. He can either take us to a top 3 pick, purgatory, or win us the division. The NFC as a whole is weak with literally only Jalen hurts, Dak, and Justin fields as the top QBs in the conference. Stafford is probably done but would be 2 if healthy. 

On 5/7/2023 at 10:18 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Chances we sign Drew Locke in the next few weeks? Vet - still young and showed upside. Would come cheap as QB 3. Knows the offense. Thoughts? 

Looks like it's John Wolford:

Bucs signed QB John Wolford, formerly of the Rams. 

Wolford, who was horrific in five starts for the Rams over the past three seasons, will join Kyle Trask and Baker Mayfield in Tampa's quarterbacks room. A weak-armed QB with a career adjusted yards per attempt of 4, Wolford should slot in as the team's third-string option in 2023, if he makes the final roster. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

Bucs quarterbacks coach Thad Lewis said Kyle Trask and Baker Mayfield will get "even reps" during summer practices.Offensive coordinator Dave Canales echoed the importance of a quarterback competition while on the podium.

I'm hoping they actually do make this a competition and not just hand the job to Baker. Both of these guys need to be looking over their shoudler and pushed to get anything of value IMO...

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm hoping they actually do make this a competition and not just hand the job to Baker. Both of these guys need to be looking over their shoudler and pushed to get anything of value IMO...

Point Agree GIF by Ford

really hoping Trask can prove something

Its Bakers job to lose based off his experience, if Trask can beat him out I'd be alot more confident in his abilities

9 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Point Agree GIF by Ford

really hoping Trask can prove something

Its Bakers job to lose based off his experience, if Trask can beat him out I'd be alot more confident in his abilities

Trask better step it up. Baker was brought in and all 4 QBs were looked at for a reason from this recent class. They've seen Trask the last two years and It has not been pretty. 

18 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Trask better step it up. Baker was brought in and all 4 QBs were looked at for a reason from this recent class. They've seen Trask the last two years and It has not been pretty. 

I mean, even if Baker wins the starting job, unless he just balls out and has this team winning games consistently (which IMO isn't plausable) we're going to See Trask at some point this year. This FO spent a 2nd round pick on him and they're going to want to see him in live game action.

21 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I mean, even if Baker wins the starting job, unless he just balls out and has this team winning games consistently (which IMO isn't plausable) we're going to See Trask at some point this year. This FO spent a 2nd round pick on him and they're going to want to see him in live game action.

And the Vikings spent an early round pick on Kellen Mond literally maybe a handful of picks after Trash and he was cut last year. The only thing keeping Trash on this roster right now is that he was a second round pick. I have not seen anything positive in two years - both TC and preseason. 

To be honest - I've seen more out of Wolford than I have Trash. He may be the #2 QB after preseason. 

Edited by RedandPewterReturns

On 5/13/2023 at 10:31 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

And the Vikings spent an early round pick on Kellen Mond literally maybe a handful of picks after Trash and he was cut last year. The only thing keeping Trash on this roster right now is that he was a second round pick. I have not seen anything positive in two years - both TC and preseason. 

To be honest - I've seen more out of Wolford than I have Trash. He may be the #2 QB after preseason. 

It's a completely different scenario though beacuse Mond was drafted by the prior regime in Minnesota. The new GM came on in 2022 and Mond wasn't one of his guys, so it's an easy sell to release that guy. He didn't draft him and has no ties to him. That happens all the time.

What you don't see is the GM or FO that took said player and lobbyed for him give up on a 2nd round QB that quick, especially wityhout ever really throwing him into live game action. Those instances are few and far between. 

Wolford isn't gonna start games for this team unless it's injury.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:31 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

It's a completely different scenario though beacuse Mond was drafted by the prior regime in Minnesota. The new GM came on in 2022 and Mond wasn't one of his guys, so it's an easy sell to release that guy. He didn't draft him and has no ties to him. That happens all the time.

What you don't see is the GM or FO that took said player and lobbyed for him give up on a 2nd round QB that quick, especially wityhout ever really throwing him into live game action. Those instances are few and far between. 

Wolford isn't gonna start games for this team unless it's injury.

I've seen more from Wolford whos been in live action than I have in Trask lol. It would not surprise me if Trash is #3 again.