Buccaneers sign QB Baker Mayfield (1 year, $8.5M)

RaidersAreOne

On 12/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Baker Mayfield is not a franchise QB. End of story. 

He's solid if the team is generally good or great around him. I don't think the Bowles/Canales schematics are doing him or the entire offense any favors. Bowles wants to win ugly with good defense and conservative offense approach. 

Do not agree with this at all. Maybe a better coach would help Baker improve or he would look better than he has? I don't know. I don't see franchise QB. I see a serviceable average starter that is in that 15-20 tier of 32 QBs in the NFL. 

Sadly - you have to dish out 30-35 MM for one of those type of starters. 

If we win the division - he will be back. We will be too far down in the draft to get a guy like Daniels who's stock is top 10 it seems. Depends on how the Bucs and other teams view Penix. Some see him as a mid first. Others early second. I personally like him. Think hes very smart and on point with his throws. Some bad throws look to be on the receiver/miss communication with receivers not named Owunzee. 

Your a genius show me your prediction about 9 wins plus a division win.

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Your a genius show me your prediction about 9 wins plus a division win.

My opinion on Baker hasn't changed - I wouldnt want to commit 40MM to him long term to carry your franchise. 

He hasnt beaten a contender at all this year and played poorly in those games.

Hes rightfully earned a bigger deal - to the average starting salary. Hes by no means elite. But the Bucs will need to make decisions (47MM projected cap space for 2024) - as in: Both Evans and Godwin will not be in Tampa next year. 

Can Baker continue to play well without two #1 caliber receivers? They also have to commit big money to Wirfs as he's a top 3 LT in the game. 

Another fair and honest assessment for Baker too is - I dont think the OC is that great. Nor is Todd Bowles. Could some of the earlier struggles been related to coaching and execution? I think the play calling and decision making has been a bit better in the last 4-5 weeks - BUT when i watch the product on the field vs. the opposition: need to see how it would go against Dallas, Philly, SF, and detroit. 3 of those 4 we played and were absolutely outcoached and played. 

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

My opinion on Baker hasn't changed - I wouldnt want to commit 40MM to him long term to carry your franchise. 

He hasnt beaten a contender at all this year and played poorly in those games.

Hes rightfully earned a bigger deal - to the average starting salary. Hes by no means elite. But the Bucs will need to make decisions (47MM projected cap space for 2024) - as in: Both Evans and Godwin will not be in Tampa next year. 

Can Baker continue to play well without two #1 caliber receivers? They also have to commit big money to Wirfs as he's a top 3 LT in the game. 

Another fair and honest assessment for Baker too is - I dont think the OC is that great. Nor is Todd Bowles. Could some of the earlier struggles been related to coaching and execution? I think the play calling and decision making has been a bit better in the last 4-5 weeks - BUT when i watch the product on the field vs. the opposition: need to see how it would go against Dallas, Philly, SF, and detroit. 3 of those 4 we played and were absolutely outcoached and played. 

Best post you have made.

but at the same time he is playing north of Murray and daniell jones.

now here is a question is Goff elite sense he is leading points scored or is the rest of the team elite?

• Like 1

Excellent point remains to be seen but Dallas in your building I am not sure they beat the Mayfield that beat Dallas badly

not sure Goff performs at his league leading

offense

As Far as Sanfrancisco look at Purdue last game as well as Cleveland game and see if you call him elite.

Absolutely weird seeing Browns fan come pouring into the Bucs forum doing a victory lap when this Bucs team have not beat a good team all season.

Guess when you arent use to winning seasons it should be worn with a badge of honor I suppose. We are very fortunate the NFC South is a pile of crap from top to bottom. 

Baker has played well above his current contract and should be brought back for a mutli year deal. I don’t think he is the long term answer bc he has not played well against good teams(surprise)

Bucs fans have seen this story before Jameis, Freeman etc…thats why nobody in Tampa thinks he’s our qb for the future…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Excellent point remains to be seen but Dallas in your building I am not sure they beat the Mayfield that beat Dallas badly

not sure Goff performs at his league leading

offense

As Far as Sanfrancisco look at Purdue last game as well as Cleveland game and see if you call him elite.

I think Goff is average. He’s a pure system QB with a dominant OL and run game. Lions are beatable and in fact think we match up with them.