Tennessee should have kept the Oilers name

Towerbridge

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

They’ve apparently tried. Amy Adams Strunk isn’t selling. I would love it, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

I wish they would.  Texans is a bad name, and I personally didn't give two ****s about the Oilers until they moved to Tennessee.

Titans is about as good a name as you can get for a Nashville team IMO.  About the only other route you could go would be like the Sounds or something else playing on music.  Predators is taken, but boy does it reflect the housing situation in the city well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Houston should trade a pick to the Titans for the name, logo and uniforms. “Texans” is so lame and uninspired and everything about the Oilers was cool.

Yeah… no.

It’s a name and color scheme, I’d be pretty upset if they gave up actual assets that can help a football team win games so they can use colors and logos. 

A long snapper or #4 RB is more valuable than a name and logo, let alone one that died in the 90s.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:
13 hours ago, ET80 said:

They’ve apparently tried. Amy Adams Strunk isn’t selling. I would love it, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

I wish they would.  Texans is a bad name, and I personally didn't give two ****s about the Oilers until they moved to Tennessee.

Don’t get me wrong, I wish there was a dollar amount that could get the job done - would be fun to bring out Earl Campbell and Warren Moon wearing their old jerseys on a throwback day with Jalen Pitre and Bryce Young (or CJ Stroud, maybe?) wearing the same jerseys…

It seems as if Strunk and co are adamant on keeping it. Oh well, can’t lose sleep over it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah… no.

It’s a name and color scheme, I’d be pretty upset if they gave up actual assets that can help a football team win games so they can use colors and logos. 

A long snapper or #4 RB is more valuable than a name and logo, let alone one that died in the 90s.

I disagree. An aesthetically pleasing experience for millions of people is easily more valuable than a single draft pick made by one of the worst organizations in the league, a pick statistically more likely to flame out in 3 years than be a stud. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I disagree. An aesthetically pleasing experience for millions of people is easily more valuable than a single draft pick made by one of the worst organizations in the league, a pick statistically more likely to flame out in 3 years than be a stud. 

Yeah… no. 

You’re making a very grand assumption that this view will be aesthetically pleasing for all of the millions of people you’re referencing. Lot of people (specifically, fans who weren’t around to watch the Oilers in the 90s) have no connection to that Oilers team. Now, they’re suddenly supposed to support a logo and color scheme they no nothing about because… reasons?

I’d like it, but I’m in my 40s and recall the Oilers (and even with an association, I’d call this an incredibly stupid decision). There’s an entire age range all the way in their 30s that have no attachment to the Oilers - so why would they suddenly find this appealing?

Had we been 5-7 years removed from the Oilers, your argument makes sense. It’s been nearly 30 years - everyone has moved on. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah… no. 

You’re making a very grand assumption that this view will be aesthetically pleasing for all of the millions of people you’re referencing. Lot of people (specifically, fans who weren’t around to watch the Oilers in the 90s) have no connection to that Oilers team. Now, they’re suddenly supposed to support a logo and color scheme they no nothing about because… reasons?

I’d like it, but I’m in my 40s and recall the Oilers (and even with an association, I’d call this an incredibly stupid decision). There’s an entire age range all the way in their 30s that have no attachment to the Oilers - so why would they suddenly find this appealing?

Had we been 5-7 years removed from the Oilers, your argument makes sense. It’s been nearly 30 years - everyone has moved on. 

I'm in my 30s and would love if they brought back the Oilers. But, like you said...not realistic they'd do it. 

12 hours ago, D82 said:

I'm in my 30s and would love if they brought back the Oilers. But, like you said...not realistic they'd do it. 

At the cost of a day 2 draft pick? I'll stick with the Battle Red and Steel Blue.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

At the cost of a day 2 draft pick? I'll stick with the Battle Red and Steel Blue.

Yeah. That just wouldn't make sense. 

Though Texans is kind of a weak name...something like Traffic Jams, Hurricanes, Swamp ***** would fit better...

• Like 1