Tennessee should have kept the Oilers name

Towerbridge

6 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:
15 hours ago, adamq said:

I call your AZ Cardinals and raise you one Utah Jazz and LA Lakers 

Seattle Kraken would like to have a word

NY Giants! Everyone in NY is 5’ 9” or less!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

In Minnesota?   The population is like 90% of Scandinavian decent.  So yeah...a ton of Vikings in Minnesota.  Now Bears in Chicago or Lions in Detroit however....

To be fair being Scandinavia doesn't make you a viking, Being a viking was cultural not ethnic.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, ET80 said:

I was pulling for the Apollos - stick with the Space City theme that the Astros and Rockets already have.

Texans ultimately grew on me. If they rebranded the team now, I might actually miss the simplicity of the name.

I'd make the argument that the Houston Oilers are just flat out better for the league than the Houston Texans....I think casuals and even non football fans would end up buying some Oilers shirts/jerseys because they are (IMO) that cool. So it would be in the best interest of the league....so I think that they should just be given the name/logo back.

Also...I work with people from Austin and have been out several times, so I know that Texas is uh, special.....but I think of Columbus getting an NFL team and being named the Columbus Ohioans and it's just......weird to me.

As a Rams fan (who lives in Ohio), I couldn't care less where they played. But if St. Louis or (would never happen) LA changed the name, I'd be done.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:38 PM, FrantikRam said:

I'd make the argument that the Houston Oilers are just flat out better for the league than the Houston Texans....I think casuals and even non football fans would end up buying some Oilers shirts/jerseys because they are (IMO) that cool.

So… what’s stopping them now? You can still buy Oilers branded gear:

https://www.fanatics.com/?query=houston oilers&_ref=p-HP:m-TYPEAHEAD:i-r-1c-0:po-1

How is being based in Houston vs being a Tennessee throwback make this any different? Buying Oilers stuff isn’t hard, they still sell it at local sporting goods stores in Houston - but you really don’t see it. I’d argue that Houston gear doesn’t really sell outside of Houston and Tennessee gear doesn’t really sell outside of Tennessee (with the sole exception of JJ Watt jerseys sold in Wisconsin). Oilers gear would fall somewhere in the middle of that.

And, let’s also be realistic here - the name “Oilers” isn’t suddenly going to make Cal McNair‘s franchise a team that can win football games. It’s not like bequeathing the name to the Houston franchise is going to suddenly make this team competent, it’s still going to suffer following the Bill O’Brien era and the Jack Easterby era.

No casual buys gear for a 3-13-1 franchise - regardless of what their name is. 

• Like 1