Mad or Happy? - Draft Scenarios

dll2000

3 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Would Skoronski be a bust if he ends up at guard that makes the pro bowl a bunch of times? 

Whatever the answer is, would you feel better if you got him at 17 instead of 9?

I just don't think Skoronski is going to bust.  I have no clue if he'd be good at OT but he often looks like the best OL available in the draft.  

Is say he'd be a great pick in that instance if the Bears didn't have a glaring hole at RT. If Jenkins moved over and was a damn good RT for the next 8 years the move would be a stroke of genius though. 

I'm always one who would be happier to get the same value at a later pick too, since there is compensation for that move down. If the Bears got Dawand with the first pick in the 2nd for that trade down and Sko at 17 I'd be ecstatic. Sko goes to C and pushes Whitehair for the starting gig for me. Whoever loses is the top backup for the entire IOL. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Paris is best player now, but B. Jones has higher ceiling.

D. Wright is best pure RT, but can’t play LT. 

Peter Skoronski is better than all of them at college level, but has more bust potential than any at OT due to his T-Rex arms.

LOL.  It is not an easy clear cut decision if you are picking at 9.

And because there may be an OT run early it is difficult to know how far you could trade down and still get any of them.  

The you have dilemma of possibility of Carter or Tyree Wilson sitting there at 9 tempting you to pass on OT in first.  

Decisions decisions.

You are a very funny guy lolz ahahahaha😁😂

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Is say he'd be a great pick in that instance if the Bears didn't have a glaring hole at RT. If Jenkins moved over and was a damn good RT for the next 8 years the move would be a stroke of genius though. 

I'm always one who would be happier to get the same value at a later pick too, since there is compensation for that move down. If the Bears got Dawand with the first pick in the 2nd for that trade down and Sko at 17 I'd be ecstatic. Sko goes to C and pushes Whitehair for the starting gig for me. Whoever loses is the top backup for the entire IOL. 

Betcha wish we had signed an RT in free agency, huh guy. 

Braced for the bears to use the top four picks on safeties and snappers, and thinking I'll learn voodoo on YouTube to do something to protect Fields.  **** you Poles, I'll do it myself!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

with davis and jenkins (i know he has injury concerns) seemingly locked in a G, you would be taking a player we know we have a solid started at to replace him with a rookie, while still leaving the black hole that is RT open. but again, that all depends on if they don't think PS can play tackle

I think the hope has to be that after the draft Whitehair is an overpriced but highly experienced backup at both G and C. I can’t imagine anyone is really looking at Skoronski as a OT at this point. His 32 1/4” arms are pretty short for guard. They’re way short for tackle. How many tackles in the entire league right now have arms that short? Are there any at all?

With the arm length plus the accidentally leaked priority chart for OTs from the other day emphasizing length, coupled with the fact that our two most fixed assets along the OL are both at guard makes me think Skoronski isn’t really going to get a lot of consideration from us unless they’re planning to put Jenkins back at RT and they’re being strategically deceptive about it. If that’s the plan then Skoronski would make a lot of sense. I just can’t see that being the case given how quickly Jenkins got buried on the depth chart at RT last offseason behind Borom (whom they later signed Reiff to replace on the eve of TC) before getting kicked inside. 

8 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Betcha wish we had signed an RT in free agency, huh guy. 

Braced for the bears to use the top four picks on safeties and snappers, and thinking I'll learn voodoo on YouTube to do something to protect Fields.  **** you Poles, I'll do it myself!

Snappers just mean Fields gets an extra 10 yards to set up his runs, and safeties means the Bears will be the first team to run a legit 2-2-7 defense (2-3-6 when they go heavy)  

I'm not crazy

batman-joker.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Snappers just mean Fields gets an extra 10 yards to set up his runs, and safeties means the Bears will be the first team to run a legit 2-2-7 defense (2-3-6 when they go heavy)  

I'm not crazy

batman-joker.gif

You joke but you also know someone would be giving that argument a test flight if the bears really do it. 

• Like 1

This is turning out to be a frustrating draft to try and figure out what we are going to do. I can poke holes and find flaws in every prospect we could land at #9.

It's a big part of why I want Bijan Robinson, but I understand we do not have that luxury right now.

OT

Peter Skoronski - Probably the best offensive lineman in this draft, but those short arms are a concern and his best fit might be inside (think Zach Martin)

Paris Johnson - Has the traits you want (height/weight/length/movements) but not a lot of experience playing OT (one season only if I am not mistaken). Play strength in his anchor is lacking but this can be developed. In other drafts he would not be the top OT, but he is here. Do you want that at #9?

DT

Jalen Carter - All the talent in the world but he has an inconsistent motor and the whole racing incident in his portfolio

Calijah Kancey - Outstanding quickness, change of direction and burst, but alligator arms and is arguably 10-12 lbs too light (can he put on weight and maintain his athleticism?)

etc etc

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Does anyone suspect Bears are leaking interest in Jalen Carter for trade down purposes? 

If he falls to 9 he is a prospect some would be willing to trade up for. 

I suspect there is genuine interest...all depends on how his top 30 visit went when it comes to his off-field & work ethic concerns but if that checks out there is no doubt IMO we would run the card up at #9...on the field he is the most dominant player in this draft...

I massively struggle to see him getting to #9 with Seahawks & Lions in front of us...I also wouldn't rule out the Raiders or Falcons coming off their needs to take him...he is that much of a difference maker.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:54 AM, dll2000 said:

Does anyone suspect Bears are leaking interest in Jalen Carter for trade down purposes? 

That is my suspicion.  I still don't think ownership would sign off on Carter (nor do I think that Flus or Poles would be willing to take a risk on him considering his question marks about his passion for the game, etc), but I believe they'd sign off on pretending there is interest.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

That is my suspicion.  I still don't think ownership would sign off on Carter (nor do I think that Flus or Poles would be willing to take a risk on him considering his question marks about his passion for the game, etc), but I believe they'd sign off on pretending there is interest.  

For that strategy I think the play is more to get someone to jump ahead of us to take him than that we’d trade back if he were there at 9 and we were on the clock. If he were (is?) actually our guy and he’s there at 9 then we’re not trading back without an extreme overpay. 

On 4/16/2023 at 9:54 AM, dll2000 said:

I do too, but every team in the top 10 except for the Panthers, Texans and Colts have been rumored to him, even the Cardinals(but that was before we traded the 1st pick)  If Houston takes Anderson, I can see the cards take Carter. 

IMO with his off the field issues, and him not finishing drills at his pro day(Cramps I think it was) I don't see us drafting him. 

I did a sim where the Giants traded up with us to get him.  We got their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th and CB Jackson.  I forgot who I had us taking. 

2 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

I do too, but every team in the top 10 except for the Panthers, Texans and Colts have been rumored to him, even the Cardinals(but that was before we traded the 1st pick)  If Houston takes Anderson, I can see the cards take Carter. 

IMO with his off the field issues, and him not finishing drills at his pro day(Cramps I think it was) I don't see us drafting him. 

I did a sim where the Giants traded up with us to get him.  We got their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th and CB Jackson.  I forgot who I had us taking. 

Bears would need their 1st year too to drop to #25. The Giants aren't trading up 16 spots to take a DT anyway especially when they're about to pay Lawrence