2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

On 7/19/2023 at 8:51 AM, RSkinGM said:

oh yeah, he's just better than having to put Logan Thomas in at QB if two get hurt . I'm certainly hoping The Rat beats him out for #3. ( Tim Demorat  ) 

The counterargument is that if we're down to our 3rd QB, there's no benefit to starting a QB who could win us games unless it's a young QB with starting potential someday. Really if you're down to you're #3 it would be more beneficial to lose out for a top 5 pick than to win a few games - like we should've done in 2020 - which end up being meaningless & cost us elite players losing back on it a few years later. 

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

well 19 is in the teens . I'm shooting higher. maybe "J U S T a bit outside" the top 10 !

I don't know about top 15, there's more good QBS in the NFL that ppl don't think about.

1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. J. Allen 
4. Jalen Hurts
5. Justin Herbert 
6. Rodgers
7. Lamar
8. Trevor Lawrence 

9. Matt Stafford (if healthy)
10. Dak Prescott 
11. Kirk Cousins
12. Derek Carr
13. Jared Goff
14. Geno Smith
15. DeShaun Watson (should be back to good maybe even great after missing most of the last 2 years)

16. Russell Wilson (probably, I think Payton fixes his issues)

17. Tua

18. Brock Purdy (if healthy)

19. Daniel Jones

20. Justin Fields

21. Tannehill

I think Sam Howell will be in that 17 to 21 range this year as basically a rookie. He's a lot like Purdy but he's more athletic with a stronger arm, the question is can Howell be as consistent as Purdy?

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

This Offense is a complete mystery to me.

On one hand- we might have the most underrated WR core in the league. (With Terry, Jahan, Curtis & Dyami)

On the other- we might have the worst O-line in the league. (Just open sesame)

On one hand- we might have one of the better complete underrated pounding RB units. (with Robinson, Gibson & possibly rookie Gonzalas)

On the other- None of them really have that break away speed to take it to the house, with exception of maybe Gibson.

On one hand- Our TE unit is actually fairly talented. Not great, but not too bad either.

On the other- Can they stay healthy?

Then of course...On one hand- We might have a Russell Wilson clone in Sam Howell.

On the other hand- We're hoping it's the original version of Russell Wilson & not the one who sucks right now.

All in all? If everything goes right?

They have the ability to win 11+ games, imo.

If everything goes wrong? They have the ability to finish between 6 to 8 wins & missing the playoffs.

I do however believe this team Offensively & Defensively are too good, to finish with less than 6 wins.

So if you're one of those fans who secretly want us to suck/tank with new ownership & draft a QB with the #1,#2 or #3 overall pick?

I got news for ya...it ain't gonna happen.

Not with A solid secondary, mediocre LBer core & the best front 4 in the NFL known as Defcon4.

I would put up my Doug Williams SB jersey, I'm that confident.

I personally believe we finish with 9 or 10 at minimum.

• Like 2

@aceinthehouse I agree Ace. Our highest potential is like 11 or 12 wins. I don't see why we couldn't be like the Cowboys last year. On the other hand, our interior OL could be the worst in the NFL, especially if we have an injury or 2 like the last few years. 

I think the talent of our RBS & TES isn't appreciated but our RBS can really only be as good as the blocking from the OL & TES in front of them. The biggest issue our RBs and QBS had last year was the blocking in front of them wasn't good, particularly in late September/most of Oct & Dec after Roullier got hurt & Larsen wasn't back yet from his achillies injury.

The O is a mystery bc of the question of Howell & the interior OL. 

Our D has the talent to be tops in the league (last year we were 3rd in yards & 7th in points despite and inept offense). At worst I expect our D to only be 10th. Our D will keep us from being a double-digit losing team this year IMO. 

I think we end up 8-9 of 9-8.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

He did return kicks, but not punts. I still think Brown makes it in a make or break year. Four guys set there then. So you have Milne, Pringle, Kemp, K Allen, K McGowan fighting for likely 2 spots. Maybe only 1.

Reminders:

Washington Commanders Roster Changes

Players Signed

QB Jacoby Brissett

OT Andrew Wylie

LB Ferrod Gardner

OL Nick Gates

LB Cody Barton

WR Byron Pringle

K Michael Badgley

Players Drafted

CB Emmanuel Forbes (1st)