Did JJ Watt and Aaron Donald falling out of the top-10 feel wrong in real time?

DirtyDez

No. A lot of people were worried about Donald's size. And most people didn't think Watt would become the dominant force he did. It's like Patrick Mahomes. The man will go down as one of the GOAT QBs, but there weren't many on this forum who thought he'd be a star.

• Like 5

Watt was a classic case of the predraft narrative overshadowing the data. He was the typical "solid but limited upside" prospect but then destroyed the combine. People didn't adjust their evals enough (though he did go pretty high all things considered).

Donald was more the case that people thought his power/speed wouldn't translate to the NFL as he was undersized. Turned out he was indeed that strong/fast/technically proficient. He was less a missed eval and more best case scenario (probably better than best case scenario).

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No. A lot of people were worried about Donald's size. And most people didn't think Watt would become the dominant force he did. It's like Patrick Mahomes. The man will go down as one of the GOAT QBs, but there weren't many on this forum who thought he'd be a star.

Watt was also in an absolutely stacked edge rusher class that somehow managed to live up to the hype and look even better than was thought. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Watt was also in an absolutely stacked edge rusher class that somehow managed to live up to the hype and look even better than was thought. 

True. If Aldon didn't destroy his career, it's possible you could have five HOFers in that first round (Von, Aldon, Watt, Cam Jordan, and Cam Heyward) along with Hall of Very Good guys like Kerrigan and Robert Quinn and guys like Dareus and Wilkerson who had some dominant years during uneven careers.

• Like 5

I have had plenty of egg on my face with prospects. These two were not those instances.

Aaron Donald was my #2 overall prospect (Clowney 1) in his draft. Watt was my #2 overall prospect (Pat Peterson 1).

I was weirdly low on Von Miller in Watt’s draft. I just remember watching Watt absolutely decimate OSU like they were a middle school football team & falling in love.

I have never been a size queen, so naturally I loved Donald. He beat the crap out of pretty much every team & because of where I live, I watch a ton of Pitt football, as it’s aways the noon game. He was awesome in college and if you didn’t care about his size, you would have been in love too. His technique as a pass rusher got so much better, but his speed and power were unreal in college.

Humble brag over. Because I liked several pieces of 💩 too

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

Watt was mocked to the Texans at that spot pretty heavily before the draft.

I dont recall that.  I recall Aldon Smith, and Prince Amukamara being the most mocked to the Texans that draft.  Watt was being linked to the Packers round 1 mostly. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I dont recall that.  I recall Aldon Smith, and Prince Amukamara being the most mocked to the Texans that draft.  Watt was being linked to the Packers round 1 mostly. 

It was 12 years ago, so I could be misremembering.

Watt, definitely no. That class was stacked and Watt wasn’t viewed as an elite pass rusher/elite athlete coming out. 

Donald, debatable. Some people had him very high, but some did knock him a decent amount for his size. I’d say Donald slipping felt wrong to me, but not in an unbelievable way.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I distinctly remember Bengals fans loving him as a player much like Geno Atkins.  But more than half the fanbase wanted to pass anyway since we still had Geno in his prime.

Don't remember who liked him or didn't, but I do remember the debates on here and in other Bengals sites.

Watt was a combine freak in a very loaded class at the top of that draft, especially the non-QBs.  Julio, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Watt, Von Miller, Alson Smith, Cam Newton plus other QBs

• Like 1