2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

43 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Some people are super stubborn to adopt trends if they happen to like an outlier.  When every year 6 of our 8 draft picks all have a high RAS, there is probably something there. 

Why? Do the other 31 teams draft only 4 out of 8 high RAS on average? What the Packers do is not relevant by itself, you need to see if it deviates from the league average.

4 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

..It's just funny that people would say the Packers rely too much on RAS and use a player with a low RAS score that the Packers drafted as proof of this lol. ...

I think the questions about Reed were less about his 40-time and more about his size.  Packers website lists him at 5'11" 187, and I think there may have been talk that he'd added some weight before his less-productive draft season at Michigan State, so had been even lighter during his more productive previous season.  Obviously size is built into RAS, so small-for-position guys will get reduced RAS.  

My perception pre-draft was that some posters emphasized how the Packers like big receivers. IIRC there was some discussion about whether it's dumb if Packer fans project picking a variably small guy.  And discussion about Packer thresholds, do they exist and if so how short/light could a guy be and still have the Packers draft him.  After the draft, there was some recognition that the Packers hoped 

Glad the Packers recognized Reed's value, and that he looks very good.  I like having somebody quick and shifty.  Have missed that for a while.  Kinda since Cobb was young and quick, and Jennings.  

11 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Why? Do the other 31 teams draft only 4 out of 8 high RAS on average? What the Packers do is not relevant by itself, you need to see if it deviates from the league average.

It is relevant to the discussion about Packers draft picks.  It doesn't matter what the Titans or Chiefs would do, we are using it to predict players that the Packers look for, not a draft order.  Higher RAS doesn't even make for a good football player, Jon Garvin was 9.04.  We are just following trends, these aren't set in stone rules.

For example (and a stupid one at that).  I am the new GM.  Since I am crazy, I only draft players whose last name starts with a vowel for 3 straight seasons.  By year four, you can see a trend on what I do in the draft.  You can probably eliminate Bill Smith from my draft board, especially when Aaron Aaronson is available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

...Will offer up Wicks as another good one from this class.  Different from those two, though, in that he has great size and quickness.

To me, he's just a great compliment to some of these quickness/speed guys out there.

I don't know where I'd rank him, or how I would rank him, but I'm as excited for Wicks' future as I am for Reeds' future.

Am I wrong, or did Wicks have a key 4th-quarter drop yesterday, on a pretty contested ball but on both his hands?  

AGree, Wicks has been such a nice surprise.  pre-season, I'd have never guessed he'd be playing so much and playing so well. 

heh heh, I'm dumb, but I last summer I accepted some of the Toure Koolaid, and I actually thought there was a fair chance that with a year of experience, that Toure would certainly play ahead of Wicks, and might share a lot of the 3rd-receiver snaps with Reed.  How wrong that Toure buzz was!  

But yeah, I've been kinda waiting for the Wicks success to wear out.  That teams would cover him, or we'd start to see more of his flaws.  But man, every week it seems we see more of the same, a guy who looks NFL and gets open and plays strong... and has some drops issues.  Seems to have the feet, the body-balance, and the COD capacity of a strong NFL receiver.  Great draft pick. 

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Am I wrong, or did Wicks have a key 4th-quarter drop yesterday, on a pretty contested ball but on both his hands?  

AGree, Wicks has been such a nice surprise.  pre-season, I'd have never guessed he'd be playing so much and playing so well. 

heh heh, I'm dumb, but I last summer I accepted some of the Toure Koolaid, and I actually thought there was a fair chance that with a year of experience, that Toure would certainly play ahead of Wicks, and might share a lot of the 3rd-receiver snaps with Reed.  How wrong that Toure buzz was!  

But yeah, I've been kinda waiting for the Wicks success to wear out.  That teams would cover him, or we'd start to see more of his flaws.  But man, every week it seems we see more of the same, a guy who looks NFL and gets open and plays strong... and has some drops issues.  Seems to have the feet, the body-balance, and the COD capacity of a strong NFL receiver.  Great draft pick. 

They are all going to have drops.  It happens.  Keenan Allen had three against us, and I doubt that either Chargers fan wants him cut.  Wicks is a lot better technician than I had anticipated.  I did have the impression that he was bigger than he is during the draft process though.  

In defense of Toure, he has played well at all levels.  He was good at Wyoming, then stepped up at Nebraska, and played well in the preseason.  He also made the most of his limited opportunities against the Bills last season.  It isn't his turn right now.  And if guys like Heath or Wicks surpassed him, that really speaks to how well they have developed too.  Toure isn't going to be a star, but there are always roster spots for players like him.

Reed is playing about the same as he did at Michigan State.  That is good.  Scouts did their job, and we didn't even have to use a first round pick to get him.  Imagine how good he would have been if we had taken him in the first though!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

They are all going to have drops.  It happens.  Keenan Allen had three against us, and I doubt that either Chargers fan wants him cut.  Wicks is a lot better technician than I had anticipated.  I did have the impression that he was bigger than he is during the draft process though.  

In defense of Toure, he has played well at all levels.  He was good at Wyoming, then stepped up at Nebraska, and played well in the preseason.  He also made the most of his limited opportunities against the Bills last season.  It isn't his turn right now.  And if guys like Heath or Wicks surpassed him, that really speaks to how well they have developed too.  Toure isn't going to be a star, but there are always roster spots for players like him.

Reed is playing about the same as he did at Michigan State.  That is good.  Scouts did their job, and we didn't even have to use a first round pick to get him.  Imagine how good he would have been if we had taken him in the first though!

At least 50% better! Has Jordan even had a 1st round WR? No wonder we're 4-6!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, craig said:

It wasn't a great pass, but yeah, he dropped one that he should have caught.  He more than made up for it with his RAC, though.

He reminds me of lite version of Antonio Brown. I know that’s a lofty comparison but it’s one I see. With each passing week he gets better. I very happy MLF is dialing up more schemed touches for him. I think Reed is just scratching the surface of his potential right now.

On 11/20/2023 at 11:24 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

Every team has a Toure on their roster.  The problem is when you've got high picks and proven players ahead of him, you'll never get that opportunity.  It's not a coincidence that Malik Heath has more total snaps than Samori Toure.  Heath offers ST value.  Toure doesn't.  You get your opportunity on offense by playing ST.