Bears select Roschon Johnson - Rd. 4, #115 overall

beardown3231

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

We basically just replaced Montgomery with a nearly identical talent.  Why it kinda sucks to a RB.  

Supply and demand. 

And the Lions signed Monty and let Williams go, just to draft a RB in the first round anyway haha

• Like 1

Just now, USADave said:

I guess I’m showing my age but why are his friends and family recording him when there is a camera crew in the room?  Put the phones down and Enjoy the moment.

You’re just an old guy now. My brother is recording me as I type this message out on my phone.

Just now, USADave said:

I guess I’m showing my age but why are his friends and family recording him when there is a camera crew in the room?  Put the phones down and Enjoy the moment.

It’s like when you’re at a wedding and everyone has their phones out.  They spent thousands of dollars for the professionals to be there, you can put your phone down, aunt Cathy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

It’s like when you’re at a wedding and everyone has their phones out.  They spent thousands of dollars for the professionals to be there, you can put your phone down, aunt Cathy.

Or at concerts.  You damn well know you are never going to go back and watch that video with your garbage cell phone audio.  

• Like 2

edit: double posted... browser acting up

EDIT^2  I'll redeem the double post by making this post useful with an interesting wrinkle:

Roschon was a former Quarterback before swapping to RB... Depending on how live his arm is, there could be some Nagy level trickery happening on a few plays this year.

Edited by Epyon

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We basically just replaced Montgomery with a nearly identical talent.  Why it kinda sucks to a RB.  

Supply and demand. 

For Bears backs, I'd comp him more to Jordan Howard, albeit with the ability to catch. He isn't as shifty as Monty was and definitely not as much as Bijan was on Texas, but more of a "no nonsense" style where he just takes what he can get rather than wasting time chasing bigger plays.

I'm a touch skeptical of the scheme fit (felt like he would have been better suited to a power scheme , than zone scheme, let alone outside zone scheme), but I DO really like how he can be a tone setting addition to the backfield in contrast to Herbert's more "finesse" style...... Also a touch interesting that we've targeted more physical backs between Foreman and Roschon this offseason (and our only 30 visit RB was Charbonnet, another guy that was more physical).... a critique I had of Monty was that he was too reliant on trying to dance his way out of trouble, when the scheme really wants more snap "make a decision and go", and we didn't quite have a running game that would be willing to "punch you in the mouth" as a result.

The concern will be how his long term health holds up (ditto Foreman)

That all said, I legitimately have no idea what the depth chart is going to look like between Roschon, Foreman, and Herbert or how we're gonna divide up the carries.

7. ROSCHON JOHNSON | Texas 6002 | 219 lbs. | 4SR Port Arthur, Texas (Port Neches-Groves) 1/31/2001 (age 22.24) #2

BACKGROUND: Roschon (ROH-shahn) “Shug” Johnson, who is the youngest of three boys, was born and raised in Port Arthur (southeast Texas) and started playing tackle football at age 7. He quickly established himself as a star running back and safety at the youth level until moving to quarterback at age 10 because he was the best player on the field. Johnson enrolled at Port Neches-Groves High School, where he was a three-year starter at quarterback (30-8 record). As a sophomore, he earned honorable mention All-State and District MVP honors with 2,318 passing yards, 1,650 rushing yards and 56 total touchdowns (26 passing, 30 rushing). Johnson again earned District MVP honors as a junior with 64.9 percent completions, 2,918 passing yards and 35 touchdowns, adding 1,627 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns. As a senior, he was named All-State and All-District with 2,343 passing yards, 1,623 rushing yards and 50 total touchdowns (24 passing, 26 rushing). Johnson, who was also named an Under Armour All-American, finished his prep career as Port Neches-Groves’ all-time leading passer (7,710 yards) and rusher (4,900), finishing with 85 total touchdowns. He was a 4.0 GPA student and also lettered in track (relays and jumps). A four-star recruit, Johnson was the No. 6 dual-threat quarterback in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 29 recruit in Texas (highest-ranked quarterback recruit in the state). He collected scholarship offers from numerous high-profile programs like Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee and Texas A&M. But Johnson had the goal of earning a full-ride at Texas since he was young, and he committed to the Longhorns prior to his junior year in July 2017 (was the first commit of the Texas 2019 recruiting class). He graduated early and enrolled in Austin in January 2019. With Shane Buechele (SMU) and Cameron Rising (Utah) both transferring out of Texas prior to the 2019 season, Johnson was expecting to be a backup behind Sam Ehlinger and Casey Thompson. But because of injuries at running back, he transitioned to running back one week before the start of the 2019 season, which ended up being a permanent move. Johnson graduated with his degree in business administration (May 2022). He opted out of the 2022 bowl game and accepted his invitation to the 2023 Senior Bowl but broke his hand during the first practice and missed the rest of the week.

YEAR (GP/GS) CAR YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD NOTES

2019: (13/0) 123 649 5.3 7 23 158 6.9 1 Enrolled in January 2019; Moved from QB to RB a week prior to the season

2020: (10/1) 80 418 5.2 6 8 51 6.4 1

2021: (12/3) 96 569 5.9 5 11 83 7.5 0

2022: (12/1) 93 554 6.0 5 14 128 9.1 1 Honorable Mention All-Big 12; Bowl opt-out

Total: (47/5) 392 2,190 5.6 23 56 420 7.5 3

STRENGTHS: Big-boned, broad-shouldered athlete with proportionate bulk … stout, physical runner to breeze through arm tackles … forward finisher, lowering his pads and driving his legs through contact … aggressively presses the line, but also shows patience behind lead blocks … able to find cutback lanes … can force missed tackles in the backfield with his lateral footwork … his stiff-arm is unyielding … enough speed to stretch runs to the boundary or out-pace pursuit … only one career fumble … dogged blocking chops, both in pass protection and as a lead blocker in “21” personnel … shows functional receiving skills out of the backfield … led Texas in special teams tackles (seven) in 2022 — played on all four coverages … addicted to working and self-improvement (was pushing sleds around at age 😎 … benefited from the “older brother” theory — his desire to keep up with his older brothers on the field instilled competitive persistence in him at a young age … vocal leader and beloved in the Texas program (NFL scout: “He was Mr. Accountability for that entire offense … and our special teams staff is going to love him.”).

WEAKNESSES: High-cut runner, and run style lacks fluidity … inconsistent rhythm as a ball carrier and guilty of taking extra steps behind the line of scrimmage … feel for run lane development runs hot/cold … physical finisher but often uses too much forward lean at contact and sacrifices his balance … primarily a screen target and unproven running a full route tree … love his fight in pass pro, but must improve his ability to ID blitzers pre-snap (his communication with the offensive line must improve as well) … suffered a broken hand (January 2023) during the first practice at the Senior Bowl … averaged only 9.5 offensive touches per game in his career and wasn’t asked to be the featured back.

SUMMARY: Primarily a backup at Texas, Johnson was a complimentary back in head coach Steve Sarkisian’s spread RPO offense. A high school quarterback, he moved to running back as a Longhorns freshman and played second fiddle to Bijan Robinson but embraced his role in the program and was a central part of the culture shift under the new coaching staff (Sarkisian: “What this guy brings every single day is pretty incredible. He’s so mature. Unbelievable work ethic. Awesome teammate…he’s got the utmost respect of everybody in our building, that is for sure.”). A stout, good-sized runner, Johnson is a two-way creator with his lateral cuts to elude tacklers and the forward momentum to power through contact. With his football character and ability on special teams and as a blocker, his impact without the football is almost as impressive as his ability with the ball. Overall, Johnson is high-cut and can be inconsistent with his run rhythm, but he is a quick-footed, physical ball carrier with valuable third-down skills as a pass-catcher and blocker. He should immediately upgrade an NFL team’s running back rotation and be a core special teamer.

GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 91 overall)

• Like 1