4.116 - Colby Wooden [DL; Auburn]

CWood21

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Not convinced KC is a top 5 pressure package guy anymore.

He's a great candidate to replace with fresh juice on pressure downs (Wooden? Brooks? Slayton?)

Gary, LVN, Wyatt are the clearest 3 (assuming Wyatt is a player). Until Gary is healthy, I'm also not convinced that Preston will be a better option over Enagbare or a surprise EDGE standout from camp.

KC and Preston are best value on 1st and 2nd downs. Need some more juice on our pressure packages.

I highly disagree. If I'm having to limit Clark's snaps, Slayton is going to get his fat *** in there on 1st down. 

I think there is a vast chasm between Preston Smith and the non Gary/LVS edge guys.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which of the 5 players on the Eagles remotely fit the physical profile of Wooden? 

The Eagles 7+ sack guys are their starting 4 DL, and their freak athlete hybrid LB. 

If you're putting Wooden on the field on 3rd and 9, somebody is hurt, and likely more than somebody, as at this stage in the game you're likely to see Slaton get a shot. 

Not sure what we're arguing about. Your response to Ray's post is all I'm saying. Wooden and Brooks are are your 4 and 5 guys on the DL. Nothing wrong with that. Frankly it's refreshing they drafted a few juice guys like them versus a few plodders who don't offer much in the pass rush game. A lot of possibilities with this DL / EDGE especially if any of the rookies show something early. 

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I highly disagree. If I'm having to limit Clark's snaps, Slayton is going to get his fat *** in there on 1st down. 

I think there is a vast chasm between Preston Smith and the non Gary/LVS edge guys.

I think you're living in the ancient past of 2021. Ain't no chasm in 2023. Not even close.

Green Bay Packers linebacker Preston Smith (91)

2021 grade: 81.5

2022 grade: 66.4

Regression: 15.1

Smith delivered 8.5 sacks, the most of his career during an “even” year. But he didn’t come close to matching his excellent play from 2021, especially in terms of playing the run and producing pressures. After creating 63 pressures on 732 snaps last year, Smith had 42 on 825 snaps in 2022. He also missed a career-high 15 tackles and had a ridiculous missed-tackle percentage of 24.2. His 31 stops were a career-high

https://sports.yahoo.com/16-packers-players-regressed-most-152418678.html

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Quay is certainly going to be on the field. 

I agree 100% with your work plan for Brooks and Wooden. I just have very little confidence that even executing that work plan perfectly that they're going to be anything more than back end of the rotation DL. 

Which is fine. That's pretty normal for 4th round picks. 

Finding a Fletcher Cox/Kenny Clark is becoming increasingly rare, and they go early.

I think mixing a TJ Slaton with a Karl Brooks is the future of the DL room. You draft your one stud early, surround him with guys that do one thing really well, and hope a team doesn't trap you in no huddle.

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's the pressure package. You're rolling it out on 3rd and 9. Who cares where anybody lines up. They don't have run responsibilities. 

Okay.  Let's call it a penetration package, does that change anything?  Because Wooden/Cox would be the best penetration set we could run out there.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:07 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many guys have to get hurt before he falls into your top 4/5 guys in the pressure package?

0 if you plan to not use Kenny Clark in that role?

0 If Gary is already hurt

Could see Wooden or Brooks taking on a role as a big edge against run oriented teams. At least Wooden has a lot more experience inside against NFL caliber players.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thoughts on Cox Jr at edge. I get the strong vibe he gets one of the last spots over the other edges given that vast chasm.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:54 AM, incognito_man said:

Another sneaky good pick.

This draft class could be historic.

I hope so, and I appreciate the optimism, but so far we have quantity and can’t be sure yet about the quality. Wooden and Brooks might find a niche or they could be overly in between two positions and not able to hold up to the NFL physically superior game. The TEs could take time and the WRs are intriguing but all of them will need some seasoning to see if we’ve got something there. I’m excited, because this is the time of year to get excited about the new team and the team will be very new on opening day. I just hope some of these young guys can get an early start and make a difference out there. As always, GPG!

• Like 1