What starting QB would you say is under the most pressure this year and why?

CP3MVP

QB under the most pressure in 2023  

79 members have voted

1. 1. QB under the Most Pressure

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Justin Fields
    • Deshaun Watson
    • Josh Allen
    • Tua Tagovailoa
    • Trey Lance
    • Dak Prescott
    • Justin Herbert
    • Derek Carr
    • Other

I'd order it

1. Justin Herbert: He's been a "top 5" QB for like three years and they haven't made it past Round 1 of the playoffs.  This is his last season before the traditional contract extension year for young QBs.
2. Josh Allen: Same situation as above, but at one higher spot.  Can he get to the Super Bowl, or is he gonna start getting Marino talk?
3. Aaron Rodgers: First year with the Jets, so he has a bit of a buffer.  He's got to play well, but it's not gonna change too much about the convo around him if he falls short.
4. Justin Fields: The Bears finally gave him some assistance with a ready to go RT, another running back, and a speedy receiver.  Can he do enough to be more than just potential?
5. Trey Lance: He's playing for a job, whether it's with the 49ers or someone else.  But with Purdy's injury, he's got some time before the pressure's really on.
6. Tua Tagovailoa: He had a good season, so if he doesn't live up, there's some leeway, but one good season doesn't make an elite QB.
7. Deshaun Waston: Team gave up a lot to get him, but they're also tied to him for a while regardless of whether he sucks or not.
8. Dak Prescott: He's getting older, so even if he plays well, the Cowboys are probably thinking of the future.
9. Derek Carr: New team that isn't too invested, but the division is gonna be garbage, so he doesn't have to play that well to keep them from top QBs that are better options, and first year gets leeway.
10. Lamar Jackson: Just signed a huge extension.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The defense is vastly improved as well. They have below average linebacker play, but have improved mightily on the DL & at Safety. Firing Joe Woods will make this defense 5x better alone. If they are a top 15-20 defense & Watson doesn’t suck balls, this team has more than enough talent to win 10-12 games. 

Fair enough. I just feel like i’ve heard “we’ve improved x on defense we’ll be much better” out of Cleveland for like half a decade at least. Clowney, JOK, John Johnson, Greedy Williams…feels like every offseason the Browns’ defense “improves” but it never actually manifests on the field 

Instantly picked fields but I suppose it’s even between him and Tua. If either fail they’re done playing for their respective teams. No pressure on Rodgers really at all. He wanted to retire already, if things go poorly, he just retires. Not a big deal to him

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Fair enough. I just feel like i’ve heard “we’ve improved x on defense we’ll be much better” out of Cleveland for like half a decade at least. Clowney, JOK, John Johnson, Greedy Williams…feels like every offseason the Browns’ defense “improves” but it never actually manifests on the field 

Joe Woods.

Idk if Schwartz will be good, but he sure as hell will be 10x better than Woods. If we do suck this year, it will definitely have been 1 of 2 things:

1. Defense

2. Deshaun Watson

I think I have more questions about Watson at this rate. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:46 PM, Superduperman said:

Not the most, but Jared Goff's pressure just went up quite a bit. He's got this year, but he's got to hold off Hooker or earn his next deal with someone else

nah, Goff is safe. Hooker isn’t really a threat for the starting job.

Trey Lance.

1. Trey Lance needs to show a LOT immediately or his career is over. Nobody else will end their career in the first few games.
2. Fields and Tua both have a couple of years to show but could theoretically be replaced after the next year or two.
3. Herbert is going to excel this season. Both he and Allen would be incumbent starters anyway.
4. Dak needs to elevate or the Cowboys stay exactly who they've always been.
5. Watson and Lamar. Are they worth they money?
6. Carr is a dead man walking. He's just holding down the fort. Not a lot of pressure when you know your date.
7. No pressure on Aaron. Can't be worse than what they've had and you're already in the hall.

Edited by nagahide13

3 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Trey Lance.

1. Trey Lance needs to show a LOT immediately or his career is over. Nobody else will end their career in the first few games.
2. Fields and Tua both have a couple of years to show but could theoretically be replaced after the next year or two.
3. Herbert is going to excel this season. Both he and Allen would be incumbent starters anyway.
4. Dak needs to elevate or the Cowboys stay exactly who they've always been.
5. Watson and Lamar. Are they worth they money?
6. Carr is a dead man walking. He's just holding down the fort. Not a lot of pressure when you know your date.
7. No pressure on Aaron. Can't be worse than what they've had and you're already in the hall.

Trey Lance isn't the starter. I'm not sure how much pressure he can be under. Them basically handing the job to Brock based on last year really should take quite a bit off his shoulders until we know if Purdy is actually going to miss any time

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Trey Lance isn't the starter. I'm not sure how much pressure he can be under. Them basically handing the job to Brock based on last year really should take quite a bit off his shoulders until we know if Purdy is actually going to miss any time

Then Trey is under extra pressure to make sure Purdy ain't ready. Where's Jeff Gilooly these days?

Watson 28 years old 1 playoff win

Put up or shut up.

Fields the second contract pressure.

Lamar with Pickett and leshaun 4 wins a year for the next 5 years.

Little pressure because next year there defense can deliver 11 wins.

Somebody else Carr if he does not deliver when it counts on the easiest division in football he could be in for a quick hook

On 5/1/2023 at 6:39 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Joe Woods.

Idk if Schwartz will be good, but he sure as hell will be 10x better than Woods. If we do suck this year, it will definitely have been 1 of 2 things:

1. Defense

2. Deshaun Watson

I think I have more questions about Watson at this rate. 

I honestly believe the talent in the rest of the AFC has far surpassed that of the browns…it was a time maybe 3 years ago when u guys roster looked amazing but now not so much…  from a pure roster standpoint where do u think u guys rank in the AFC… Your best players are all excellent I agree but there is a huge drop off after ur top 7 or 8 overall guys… With 7 spots in the AFC playoffs and the division u guys are in I could easily see y’all struggling to get 6 or 7 wins… Watson was a great statistical QB in Houston but the harsh reality is… His play never translated to winning consistently… obviously Chubb Garrett and Ward are all amazing… but beyond that who on ur roster is leading the way to 10-12 wins… I just don’t see it… 

Edited by bmorecareful

3 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

I honestly believe the talent in the rest of the AFC has far surpassed that of the browns…it was a time maybe 3 years ago when u guys roster looked amazing but now not so much…  from a pure roster standpoint where do u think u guys rank in the AFC… Your best players are all excellent I agree but there is a huge drop off after ur top 7 or 8 overall guys… With 7 spots in the AFC playoffs and the division u guys are in I could easily see y’all struggling to get 6 or 7 wins… Watson was a great statistical QB in Houston but the harsh reality is… His play never translated to winning consistently… obviously Chubb Garrett and Ward are all amazing… but beyond that who on ur roster is leading the way to 10-12 wins… I just don’t see it… 

Watson—??

Chubb—Best RB in AFC

Cooper/DPJ/Moore/Tillman—Average to slightly above if Moore/Tillman pop

Njoku/Akins/Bryant—Above Average

OT—Above Average

IOL—Elite; Class of the NFL

Garrett—Elite

Okoronkwo—Average

Tomlinson—Above average

Rest of DTs—Slightly below average

JOK—Good; potential to be elite

Walker—Slightly below average

Whoever plays WILL—Boo

Ward/Newsome/Emerson—Top notch trio

Thornhill—Average to slightly above

Delpit—Average

^^^^
I think that’s a lot of talent. It’s also relatively young and ascending talent.

If Watson can play like a star, this team is gonna be a deep playoff team. If he plays well, they’re a playoff team. If he’s what he was last year, they’re a middle of the pack team at best. I have no idea what Watson to expect next year, but I would be utterly shocked if he played great & this team didn’t win 12ish games.