What starting QB would you say is under the most pressure this year and why?

CP3MVP

QB under the most pressure in 2023  

79 members have voted

1. 1. QB under the Most Pressure

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Justin Fields
    • Deshaun Watson
    • Josh Allen
    • Tua Tagovailoa
    • Trey Lance
    • Dak Prescott
    • Justin Herbert
    • Derek Carr
    • Other

Justin Fields is probably the right answer, but Russell Wilson was the first QB to come to mind.  If he has another bad season, this time under Sean Payton, then that might be it for his career as a starter whereas I am certain Fields would get another opportunity down the road.

• Like 1

People are going to say Rodgers but he's already had his career. If he sucks he simply retires. Doesn't hurt his legacy and it will be a footnote in his career.

I think its Fields. He absolutely needs to show growth as a passer or he could lose big time.

• Like 2

•                          
  •  
    Aaron Rodgers - He isn't under all that much pressure.  Sure, he'd like to win, but he is at the very tail end of his career, has made a ton of money, and losing isn't going to change his legacy much.  I really question how much he even cares about the game at this point, and he thinks so highly of himself that I don't think he cares what anyone else thinks. 

Lamar Jackson - Another guy who would love to win and prove all the doubters wrong, but he just signed that huge contract and that takes a lot of the pressure off for a while.

Justin Fields - He is young and on a team that is still rebuilding.  He probably feels some pressure, but he knows he has some time to get it all going.

Deshaun Watson - He has gone through so much and his reputation has been so tarnished that I think he knows it can never be fully repaired.  He has the guaranteed contract and will do his best, but is prepared to just ride it out and play as long as he can.  I think his time of being under great pressure is over.

Josh Allen - A very good quarterback who is probably feeling some pressure to get it done.  He is playing for a franchise that has never gotten over the hump, and if he can get them a Lombardi, he will be a legend for life in Buffalo.

Tua Tagovailoa - Probably under pressure just to keep his career going from a health standpoint.  He is a man of faith, though, so he will do his best and is probably ready to deal with the stress, no matter what happens.  It's just bad luck that he can't stay healthy.

Trey Lance - He is swinging from a cliff and hanging by a tree branch.  He has to know his time in San Francisco is getting short unless he can turn things around a LOT this year.  He has to be feeling the heat.  He is #2 on this list.  It's do or die for him - at least in San Francisco.

Dak Prescott - Dak is my pick for the QB on this list who is under the most pressure.  Being the QB for the Cowboys (and Jerry Jones) adds it's own stress, and Dak hasn't been able to prove that he can rise above the 2nd tier of QBs in the league.  Right now, he is in the same tier as Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins.  That's not terrible, but not something that helps a person sleep at night.  He is only going to get so many chances to prove he is capable of having a legacy of being better than just "good."  He's Tony Romo, but wants to be Roger Staubach.  Time is running short for him.

Justin Herbert - Starting to feel a little heat, but he has some time before it gets really hot.  That playoff loss to the Jags was a bad one and he has to do better this year.

Derek Carr - I don't think his pressure is on the level of some of the others.  He has always been kind of a "B" level starter, and any team that signs him should know that he isn't the type who is going to carry the team on his back to the promised land.  If they want to get there, they will have to build a roster that can help him get there.

Edited by SodeeWater_Cheezburger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Jordan Love 

Good call!  He should have made the list.  He has been sitting and learning for 3 years and has two pairs of very large shoes to fill.  Will he be able to do it?  It could go either way for him, but he will have to go through the pressure cooker of huge expectations in Green Bay until he can prove anything to himself and the world.  He's not under the most pressure, but things could go south quickly if he stinks the joint up this season.

• Like 1

Probably Deshaun Watson. He is playing on a very good team, so no excuses for falling short. He is coming off a horrible short year after arguably the worst off-season anyone has ever had personally. This is the year we will either point to him as being a catastrophic failure or one of the 5 best QBs in the league. He has such a high variance based on what he has done previously vs. last year. 

From the standpoint I think the OP is going for. Lamar Jackson. They got him Monken. Got him weapons. Gave him all that money. He needs to go deliver.

From a real life perspective it’s Sam Howell. Because he was drafted low he could get benched a month in. And he might never get this chance again. He could end up not even being on a roster next year having probably made less than a million in his career.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro
  • Like 1

Part of me wants to say Dak. The Cowboys miss the playoffs or get to the playoffs and lose early, questions could start coming up. Is he just Kirk Cousins in flashier packaging? A guy that doesn't have the ability to elevate your team to deep playoff success. 

I mean how many more years are the Cowboys going to care that he is the starting QB of a team that either just misses the playoffs by a game or gets into the playoffs and loses immediately.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I dont think it’s possible for guys like Lamar-Russell-Watson to have the most pressure given their contract. If they suck they still fall back on bonkers contracts. Guys like Tua/Fields/Love need to show out to prove they are worth the generational wealth contracts or at least a long term extension 

11 hours ago, Spartacus said:

People are going to say Rodgers but he's already had his career. If he sucks he simply retires. Doesn't hurt his legacy and it will be a footnote in his career.

Yeah, I think the Jets FO is under far more pressure for Rodgers to succeed than Rodgers himself.

I wouldn't say Love is under the "most" pressure to succeed in 2023, but if GB is picking early in the 2024 draft, they may very well be looking to draft his replacement.

18 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

2023 QB Edition. I’ll do HC later 

If you had to pick 1 starting QB who is under the most pressure this year to either win/perform at a high level(or both) who would you pick and why?

Some early  options for me

A.)Aaron Rodgers. Has his handpicked ready made team, in a system led by his former OC that he won MVP’s under. The defense is outstanding and they won 7 games before he got there. They are literally a QB away. Is the Oline great? No, is the HC a question mark? Yeah but if Aaron is still that guy they should be a SB contender. The special teams are mediocre to slightly below average but you can’t have a perfect team 

B.)Deshaun Watson. The off the field stuff has been repeated but that cloud is still there and plays a part in this. He was terrible in the limited games he played in 2022 though, the offense was actually better with Jacoby in the lineup. The excuse was he had not played in 2 years held up last year but won’t be the case this year. If he stinks or is at best mediocre the whole thing might blow up in Cleveland. It’s it the same browns team that Baker went 11-5 with in 2020 but it’s not a dumpster fire either. Stefanksi is a proven play caller too. 

C.)Trey Lance. At some point he has to give the 49ers their return on the investment. He got injured last year and it paved the way for Brock Purdy. Purdy isn’t going to be healthy week 1 more than likely so it’s basically gonna be his job. The team is loaded on both sides of the ball and he doesn’t really have to do much to win with them. But we will see. He has no excuse, this is Year 3.

Excellent post stefanski 12 wins to 8

Wins most hc would already be gone

Watson did not complete 1 35 yard out.

Also did not see where he completed 1 pass over 40 yards in the air this is not timing this is a lack of skill.

He has no excuses because he has the fastest wide receiving duo he has ever thrown to.

As others have said, Trey Lance isn't the starter.... So he has about as little pressure as possible 😂

I think Jordan Love is a good call, and Justin Fields for sure. 

The Sam Howell call out is an underrated one. This may be his one and only shot. That's a lot of pressure.