> 2024 NFL Draft Prospects <

Kiltman

16 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I’d be interested in Troy Fauntanu. He could play RG right away and could possible be a take over at RT in the future candidate. 

I think that is Tyler Steen already for 2024, if not, what was the point of the pick? That approach is nice and seems smart at first, but we do that so often that it is one of the reasons we end up with the same problems and draft needs year after year. 

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

I think that is Tyler Steen already for 2024, if not, what was the point of the pick? That approach is nice and seems smart at first, but we do that so often that it is one of the reasons we end up with the same problems and draft needs year after year. 

This is a very fair argument. It's hard to know what the internal thoughts are on Steen, we saw pretty much nothing for him and heard nothing about him. If they view him as the future at RG then you don't make that pick, if you view him as the new Jack Driscoll, then investing in Fauntanu makes sense.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This is a very fair argument. It's hard to know what the internal thoughts are on Steen, we saw pretty much nothing for him and heard nothing about him. If they view him as the future at RG then you don't make that pick, if you view him as the new Jack Driscoll, then investing in Fauntanu makes sense.

If they view him as the new Driscoll it would be a waste of a 3rd rounder. He was our second pick of last year's draft and got the Dillard, Mailata, Jurgens, treatment.  Going for yet another redshirt OL specially a high round pick would be a disservice for the 2024 roster. I get that the draft is for the future, but we can't go overboard on that as we have been doing, you can always get immediate starters in the OL when you have Stoutland. Let's give it a rest for at least one season and try something else. 

13 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

If they view him as the new Driscoll it would be a waste of a 3rd rounder. He was our second pick of last year's draft and got the Dillard, Mailata, Jurgens, treatment.  Going for yet another redshirt OL specially a high round pick would be a disservice for the 2024 roster. I get that the draft is for the future, but we can't go overboard on that as we have been doing, you can always get immediate starters in the OL when you have Stoutland. Let's give it a rest for at least one season and try something else. 

I dont disagree with you.

That was certainly the plan last draft. Is that still the plan after a year of information from Steen? I don’t know. He couldn’t even get active for most of the season.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

That was certainly the plan last draft. Is that still the plan after a year of information from Steen? I don’t know. He couldn’t even get active for most of the season.  

I would think so, he didn't look bad his one game. 

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I am hoping Steen can become a starter soon, but there is not nearly enough game footage to say if that will or won't be the case. His evaluation is going to come entirely down to practice. I trust Stout though. If he is ready we can ignore OG early. If he isn't then ya.... we might have to pick one in the first two rounds to fill a hole(if the value matches up).

Steen came in as a 3rd rounder and now he's a bust because he didn't crack the lineup on one of the better OL's in football?
Relax.

He played in 11 games, that's more than Evan Mathis did his rookie year.
He moved from T ot G.
He'll be 24 when the season starts.
Not every 3rd rounder is going to be an All Pro.
In fact, five of the eight Pro Bowl guards were picked in the 1st, two in the 2nd and just one was taken in the 3rd (Thuney).

Last I checked there are two starting guards on every team and they miss plays, games and seasons with injuries.
That doesn't even account for needing guys good enough to play ST as to not exhaust your starters.
Now, if he never becomes more than a special teamer, then he's sort of a bust.

Red shirting a lineman is not the worst thing.
Give him time to get up to speed.
Relax.

• Like 2

Taking a step back and looking at the draft I see two position, OL and WR that are deep.
There is also some strong CB play at the top.

This leads me believe that we'll see a CB in the 1st and OL and WR in the 2nd.
LB, S, RB all get handled later.

6 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

Taking a step back and looking at the draft I see two position, OL and WR that are deep.
There is also some strong CB play at the top.

This leads me believe that we'll see a CB in the 1st and OL and WR in the 2nd.
LB, S, RB all get handled later.

If that is the case, give me Cooper DeJean or Quinyon Mitchell in Rd 1, Malachi Corley and Patrick Paul in Rd 2.

Then hope Payton Wilson is available at 97

2 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

Steen came in as a 3rd rounder and now he's a bust because he didn't crack the lineup on one of the better OL's in football?
Relax.

He played in 11 games, that's more than Evan Mathis did his rookie year.
He moved from T ot G.
He'll be 24 when the season starts.
Not every 3rd rounder is going to be an All Pro.
In fact, five of the eight Pro Bowl guards were picked in the 1st, two in the 2nd and just one was taken in the 3rd (Thuney).

Last I checked there are two starting guards on every team and they miss plays, games and seasons with injuries.
That doesn't even account for needing guys good enough to play ST as to not exhaust your starters.
Now, if he never becomes more than a special teamer, then he's sort of a bust.

Red shirting a lineman is not the worst thing.
Give him time to get up to speed.
Relax.

No one is saying he is a bust(I think). Just pointing out we have no clue what he is or isn't. If the team goes guard early I will say that would be a sign they have not been impressed with him to this point.

6 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I think DeJean not testing at the combine helps push him down. Not sure why he's not testing but can't see how that helps his draft stock.

Unless he has a recent injury (soft tissue) type, not testing makes no sense?

Be surprised if it's not a hammy, quad or calf and he'll wait and hope it's better for his Pro Day.

Kids a Stud

4 hours ago, downundermike said:

If that is the case, give me Cooper DeJean or Quinyon Mitchell in Rd 1, Malachi Corley and Patrick Paul in Rd 2.

Then hope Payton Wilson is available at 97

So, I just ran a mock under that theory:

Nate Wiggins CB Clemson
Christian Haynes OG UConn
Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky
Javon Bullard S Georgia
Dylan Laube RB New Hampshire
Tyrice Knight LB UTEP
Khristian Boyd DT Nothern Iowa
Tommy Eichenberg LB Ohio State
Zion Tupuola-Fetui EDGE Washington

That appears to be more than satisfactory to me.