> 2024 NFL Draft Prospects <

Kiltman

4 hours ago, Danger said:

That's the kind of move that leaves you high and dry for 2 to 3 years and by the time the player is actually contributing, if he pans out you're already going to pay him big money. Terrible strategy. You only select that player if Lane tells you "I might retire after this coming season."

I'd typically agree if that same exact approach didn't just land us a All Pro LG and the Starting RG from the 2023 season. 

Both Dickerson and Jurgens were drafted specifically to replace Jason Kelce. Because he chose to play in 2021, Landon was moved to LG to fill a void. Played so well they decided to draft a different replacement in Cam the following season.

Yes Cam wasted his Rookie season because Kelce was All Pro and Seomalu was a Stud at RG during a SB run with the best OL in the NFL.

Kelce decides to play again in 2023 so Jurgens is moved to RG. Neither pick was wasted, both players will be OL starters moving forward for the next decade assuming Kelce does retire.

If he pulls a Brett Farve again in 2024, that's where it gets tricky.

If you draft Lanes replacement (same approach as Jason 3 yrs ago) why can't we put that player at RG next to Lane since Cam is now the Center?

I get that the approach seems like we are wasting resources but we've drafted and filled 2 Starters on OL in the last 3 seasons doing just that. Like Kelce, Lane Won't last forever. I don't care about Steen. If a Stud RT is there that CAN play RG (absolute must), draft him and put him next t Lane. You can never have enough OL/DL depth in the NFL.

Kelce comes back, ignore the whole post. 🤷‍♂️ Catch 22

23 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'd typically agree if that same exact approach didn't just land us a All Pro LG and the Starting RG from the 2023 season. 

Landon Dickerson was starting as a rookie, completely different.

If the guy you draft is sitting any more than a year I think it's bad process. What he becomes is not part of this conversation. Especially for this team with this super bowl window specifically. Even a guy sitting for a year would bother me. This team needs starters NOW at critical positions to help win a super bowl NOW.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Dawand Jones would've been the perfect person to take say where we took Tyler Steen. Don't think poorly of Steen, but I thought Dawand Jones should've been a top 40 pick. Had all the tools and under Stout he could've been a perennial pro bowler without a doubt.

Ironically I’ve seen quite a few beat reporters say that steen stood out pretty substantially playing right tackle in camp. Maybe they think they have a guy there already and look more towards a really great interior guy to put next to jurgens at RG

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Landon Dickerson was starting as a rookie, completely different.

You think Landon was drafted to start at LG his rookie season coming off ACL surgery? Or was he placed there once it was clear he was the best option, especially with Kelce returning?

What's the difference if a RT like say Fuaga, Guyton, Mims were drafted and started at RG for the 2024 season?

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

If the guy you draft is sitting any more than a year I think it's bad process. What he becomes is not part of this conversation. Especially for this team with this super bowl window specifically. Even a guy sitting for a year would bother me. This team needs starters NOW at critical positions to help win a super bowl NOW.

Pretty sure we are in need of one or the other for the 2024 season unless Jason changes his mind yet again.

Starting OC

Starting RG

When drafting there better be a vision of where that player can play as a rookie and will play for the remainder of his career as a Eagle.

It not just about the 2024 season. It's about the Philadelphia Eagles from 2024 thru 2028 as well. Otherwise just sign the best FA every year. Which we know isn't realistic. 

21 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Pretty sure we are in need of one or the other for the 2024 season unless Jason changes his mind yet again.

Starting OC

Starting RG

When drafting there better be a vision of where that player can play as a rookie and will play for the remainder of his career as a Eagle.

It not just about the 2024 season. It's about the Philadelphia Eagles from 2024 thru 2028 as well. Otherwise just sign the best FA every year. Which we know isn't realistic. 

Jurgens will be one of those. And I'm guessing they're high on Steen as a starter as well. So I'm assuming Jurgens at C and Steen at RG aka what he was drafted for. Again, I'm not against taking an OL with a premium pick. Just not at 22.

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Jurgens will be one of those. And I'm guessing they're high on Steen as a starter as well. So I'm assuming Jurgens at C and Steen at RG aka what he was drafted for. Again, I'm not against taking an OL with a premium pick. Just not at 22.

Odds are you're going to be disappointed then. 🙏 for a DE/OLB pass rusher then because only other Howie positions he has ever drafted left as a GM, are WR/QB. 

Which better not happen at #22. We can hope for change but it's doubtful we get it.

Edited by Nabbs4u

18 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Odds are you're going to be disappointed then. 🙏 for a DE/OLB pass rusher then because only other Howie positions he has ever drafted left as a GM, is WR/QB. 

Which better not happen at #22. We can hope for change but it's doubtful we get it.

I know it's been reported that we liked 1st round corners before and planned to take certain guys if they were there. So hopefully that happens this year, especially with the Fangio influence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I do think there is improvement at RG, Jurgy was fine but could use something more. I’d be fine if him/Steen or this rookie compete for it this year. 

Moreover I think everyone expects this as the eagles process, as they’ve done it before many times. Expect them to play off it this year like they did the “no SEC /championship” players the last couple years.

There are so many OTs this year it’ll be nice for a worst case.

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I do think there is improvement at RG, Jurgy was fine but could use something more. I’d be fine if him/Steen or this rookie compete for it this year. 

Moreover I think everyone expects this as the eagles process, as they’ve done it before many times. Expect them to play off it this year like they did the “no SEC /championship” players the last couple years.

There are so many OTs this year it’ll be nice for a worst case.

This where they take Powers-Johnson at 22.
That will give them three guys along with Dickerson and Jurgens who can play center or guard.
A developmental tackle will be taken in the 5th or they roll with another Johnson (Fred or Roderick).

1 hour ago, babyatemydingo said:

This where they take Powers-Johnson at 22.
That will give them three guys along with Dickerson and Jurgens who can play center or guard.
A developmental tackle will be taken in the 5th or they roll with another Johnson (Fred or Roderick).

Theoretically Steen is that tackle prospect. can see them taking P-J though. Likelihood goes way up if Kelce is indeed done, which I gotta say it kinda doesn't feel like he is.