2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Ross Uglem is high on Coleman. I get it, that is, as Watson Insurance. Love benefits from that Power Forward type that can go up and get his "floaters", RedZone offense, etc. I doubt he'd still be on the board at #41 (especially if he runs a sub 4.5 at the Combine), and even so, not likely Gute takes him given greater needs. But you never know. Another guy I like at pick #91 if he is there is Jamari Thrash. (If they don't plan on resigning Doubs down the road). 

Edited by DWhitehurst

7 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Ross Uglem is high on Coleman. I get it, that is, as Watson Insurance. Love benefits from that Power Forward type that can go up and get his "floaters", RedZone offense, etc. I doubt he'd still be on the board at #41 (especially if he runs a sub 4.5 at the Combine), and even so, not likely Gute takes him given greater needs. But you never know. Another guy I like at pick #91 if he is there is Jamari Thrash. (If they don't plan on resigning Doubs down the road). 

I get what he is saying about the make-up of the WR unit.  My one argument to that stance is that we finally appear to have some talent at the TE position.  A lot of the Lazard stuff was with passed his prime Marcedes, partly injured Tonyan, and Josiah Deguara at TE.  I really like Lazard, and that is a cool role that he plays, but we more or less do the same things with Musgrave.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I get what he is saying about the make-up of the WR unit.  My one argument to that stance is that we finally appear to have some talent at the TE position.  A lot of the Lazard stuff was with passed his prime Marcedes, partly injured Tonyan, and Josiah Deguara at TE.  I really like Lazard, and that is a cool role that he plays, but we more or less do the same things with Musgrave.  

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers add a Lazard type in this draft. On the final cutdowns to 53 the Packers keep Heath, and many thought he might be the future for that roll, but he is 20 pounds lighter than Lazard. Heath is a good UDFA story, but the Packers were very willing to move on from him if the right player was available. The Dolphins released Elijah Higgins (6'3"/235) on their final cutdown and the Packers dropped the claim for him, but Arizona did also, and he was awarded to the Cardinals. Thinking they are still looking for that niche player for the MLF offense.    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, R T said:

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers add a Lazard type in this draft. On the final cutdowns to 53 the Packers keep Heath, and many thought he might be the future for that roll, but he is 20 pounds lighter than Lazard. Heath is a good UDFA story, but the Packers were very willing to move on from him if the right player was available. The Dolphins released Elijah Higgins (6'3"/235) on their final cutdown and the Packers dropped the claim for him, but Arizona did also, and he was awarded to the Cardinals. Thinking they are still looking for that niche player for the MLF offense.    

Heath is also 6'2 while Lazard is every bit of 6'5.  We also kicked the tires on Devin Funchess, also huge.  I agree that we will try to add the "big WR" to the roster.  I probably could have been more clear, I question the team really making a huge investment to bring that player in.  In the specific case of Keon Coleman, we probably have to use 25 to get him.  Is it worth using a first rounder to upgrade Malik Heath and at the same time probably take Watson or Wicks off the field? Find me the 4th or 5th round equivalent of Coleman, and I am all in (this isn't a challenge, I will eventually look at WRs, I just haven't yet).  

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Heath is also 6'2 while Lazard is every bit of 6'5.  We also kicked the tires on Devin Funchess, also huge.  I agree that we will try to add the "big WR" to the roster.  I probably could have been more clear, I question the team really making a huge investment to bring that player in.  In the specific case of Keon Coleman, we probably have to use 25 to get him.  Is it worth using a first rounder to upgrade Malik Heath and at the same time probably take Watson or Wicks off the field? Find me the 4th or 5th round equivalent of Coleman, and I am all in (this isn't a challenge, I will eventually look at WRs, I just haven't yet).  

Grant DuBose is already here.

• Like 1

Packers don't necessarily need to have a WR as big as Lazard. When it comes to WR's blocking, willingness is a big factor. 6-2, 210 is big enough to do the kind of blocking a WR does if the effort and attitude is there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

How about this guy?

Since it’s OPI, it doesn’t do much for me regarding Corley, but it does turn me off of Chau Smith Wade, because once you get turned into a meme, you can’t come back from it. I don’t make the rules. 

32 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Since it’s OPI, it doesn’t do much for me regarding Corley, but it does turn me off of Chau Smith Wade, because once you get turned into a meme, you can’t come back from it. I don’t make the rules. 

I don’t know about that, Taron Johnson seem to have made a career for himself after his combine debacle. 

He could be the exception that confirms the rule, though. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Chris Jones enters the conversation with his **** out.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I hear you. The dialectic here is that on the one hand you can never have enough weapons whilst on the other hand drafting a WR, at least early (e.g., prior to Round 6) , is a luxury they may not be able to afford at the expense of all the other, much greater needs they have to address.

Is it doubtful Gute takes a WR early? Yes. But is it impossible that Gute would draft a WR early, let alone for other positions we may not see as immediate needs? No. We've seen with Thompson and now with Gutekunst that they tend to sometimes draft looking 2 or more years ahead. I mean, who saw them drafting Love in round one as likely? Or drafting an ILB like Walker in round one? 

So Uglem's point was simply to not rule anything out absolutely, including WR, especially if they somehow addressed a great need in free agency and thus had a bit more freedom to draft BPA on at least one of your earlier picks, of which in this draft class WR is deep with talent well into round 4 or later.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1