2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

So, who is "worth it" in the first round for us to target via a trade up?  I typically want to trade down, but we have so many picks that it could be wise to move up in round one.

My obvious target is DeJean.  But who else?  The only other real name I can come up with is Newton, DL.

I like the OT's, but with Walker's recent play and it looks like Fautanu / Morgan could be there with our pick and I'm not loving trading up for one of them.

Corners look a little smaller (weight) and I'm not sure I love one enough to trade up.

Safeties....man, I don't see a first round safety in this class.

ILB?  Same boat.  I like a few of them, but they shouldn't go above our pick.

WRs.....I'm not trading up for one, given what we have.  TE's too.

No RB's are worth it.

I'm not trading up for an IOL.

Not loving this EDGE class.

So, who is there that I should look at as a trade up candidate outside DeJean and Newton?

Not sure there's anyone I would trade up for unless a real surprise develops during the draft. A guy like Arnold comes to mind if he falls into the late teens. Even then, I wouldn't want to give up much to move up more than a few spots. 

For those interested, Combine live drills schedule is out: 

Thursday February 29 - DL and LBs

Friday March 1 - DBs and TEs

Saturday March 2 - QBs, WRs and RBs

Sunday March 3 - OL 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

So, who is "worth it" in the first round for us to target via a trade up?  I typically want to trade down, but we have so many picks that it could be wise to move up in round one.

I am not sure that there is that player in round 1.  I think that someone will be there at 25 that we have no quarrels with selecting.  Of all the rankings, sims, and mocks that I have seen, I think the least exciting pick at 25 was Graham Barton.  Not our ideal homerun in round 1, but I think just about everyone would be fine with it.  We do have 11 picks, 5 of which are in the top 100.  I think our best bang for our buck is going to be that second and third round area.  We can probably maneuver ourselves to where we want in that range to target specific players.  I am still not at all opposed to jump to about 70 to take a RB of choice.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not sure that there is that player in round 1.  I think that someone will be there at 25 that we have no quarrels with selecting.  Of all the rankings, sims, and mocks that I have seen, I think the least exciting pick at 25 was Graham Barton.  Not our ideal homerun in round 1, but I think just about everyone would be fine with it.  We do have 11 picks, 5 of which are in the top 100.  I think our best bang for our buck is going to be that second and third round area.  We can probably maneuver ourselves to where we want in that range to target specific players.  I am still not at all opposed to jump to about 70 to take a RB of choice.

Honestly, the only RB who excites me in the late 2nd/early 3rd is Jaylen Wright. 

That's the second time he's sent out that tweet and it still makes me laugh. It's just a ridiculous thing to say. 

But if you're gonna humor the dumb take, here are the top run defense grades from the best prospects:

Cornerback:
Terrion Arnold - 90.5
Ennis Rakestraw Jr - 89.0
Kool-Aid McKinstry - 83.0
Cooper DeJean - 78.6
Quinyon Mitchell - 76.1
Kamari Lassiter - 70.5
TJ Tampa - 66.0
Nate Wiggins - 65.4

Safeties:
Tyler Numbin - 70.2
Kamren Kinchens - 69.4
Javon Bullard - 67.1
Jaden Hicks - 65.3
Sione Vaki - 57.3
Calen Bullock - 49.0

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This is why I haven't been high on the thought of Wiggins as the pick at 25. Think he's the weakest tackler of the top 5-6 CB group. 

I would think Wiggins doesn't meet the size requirements from the FO too. Same with Lassiter. 

Kool-Aid will probably run a bit too slow for our liking, but I'd take any of the other 4 CBs that are getting Day 1 consideration. If there's an early run on them, I'd rather we traded up to secure one. 

10 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I saw this posted on Reddit. The combine should help narrow down our draft boards a lot.

wd50cw1ibsjc1.png

Saw that as well.  

Love is pretty athletic, but QB is less about RAS and more about arm talent and mental processing.

I think both Reed and Doubs had slower official times than what GB had clocked them at. 

Rhyan is likely higher if calculated as OG vs OT.aybe Madison as well.

Really outliers are Rodgers and Sternberger.

Once it gets into the 5th round, some other traits can overcome the high RAS.

3 hours ago, ReasonablySober said:

That's the second time he's sent out that tweet and it still makes me laugh. It's just a ridiculous thing to say. 

But if you're gonna humor the dumb take, here are the top run defense grades from the best prospects:

Cornerback:
Terrion Arnold - 90.5
Ennis Rakestraw Jr - 89.0
Kool-Aid McKinstry - 83.0
Cooper DeJean - 78.6
Quinyon Mitchell - 76.1
Kamari Lassiter - 70.5
TJ Tampa - 66.0
Nate Wiggins - 65.4

Safeties:
Tyler Numbin - 70.2
Kamren Kinchens - 69.4
Javon Bullard - 67.1
Jaden Hicks - 65.3
Sione Vaki - 57.3
Calen Bullock - 49.0

We'll see how he runs but Rakestraw just makes so much sense for the Packers (if DeJean is gone). We are DESPARATE for an actual nickel CB in this defense. We have to stop treating that position like a "luxury" where you can just plug in a kick returner and hope it all goes well. Nickel CB is a starting position in the modern NFL and one of the most important on defense. 

Look at KC as the roadmap. McDuffie played a majority of his snaps in the slot, was an All-Pro and KC doesn't win the SB without him. We need to find our McDuffie and Rakestraw would fit the mold. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We are DESPARATE for an actual nickel CB in this defense. 

Your day is never complete until you are in a panic about something Packers related. 

57 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We'll see how he runs but Rakestraw just makes so much sense for the Packers (if DeJean is gone). We are DESPARATE for an actual nickel CB in this defense. We have to stop treating that position like a "luxury" where you can just plug in a kick returner and hope it all goes well. Nickel CB is a starting position in the modern NFL and one of the most important on defense. 

Look at KC as the roadmap. McDuffie played a majority of his snaps in the slot, was an All-Pro and KC doesn't win the SB without him. We need to find our McDuffie and Rakestraw would fit the mold. 

Cant speak to the individual player(s) talents..but the overall premise here is correct. The Nickel cant be the guy from the end of the bench. They see far too much field time for that.

51 minutes ago, Leader said:

Cant speak to the individual player(s) talents..but the overall premise here is correct. The Nickel cant be the guy from the end of the bench. They see far too much field time for that.

I'm gonna be curious to see how he tests, but Jarrian Jones may be your guy if Nickel is what you're hoping for.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Yeah, it's basically a starting position and for whatever reason the Packers have treated it like it's not.  Time to get more serious at that position.  

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly, the only RB who excites me in the late 2nd/early 3rd is Jaylen Wright. 

I love him too,  but he’s projected to be a 5th rounder, not sure that’s true after the combine…. A bit like Sean Tucker last year…. And he was a UDFA… but had heart issues for a bit….

Edited by fattlipp