2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

7 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Exactly. Thank you for making my point. Will Odunze go round 1? Very likely. Will he go top 10? Doubt it.

What?  Where did I say anything about where these guys will be drafted?

1 minute ago, ReasonablySober said:

If Odunze somehow falls out of the top ten (he won't), I'd be calling to move up. He's a star.

Saw every snap he played at UW, along with Polk, McMillan and Penix.  Don't know where he goes but I'd put him up there with Harrison.  He's that good, but didn't get the pub.  Somebody is getting a top shelf WR wherever he goes.

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If you a position has a generational prospect who's for sure going #1 overall, and nobody else likely to ever start for an NFL team I will happily call the class trash.  One team is going to get, in this case, a TE who is worth a damn, and nobody else has the opportunity to take a decent player.

This isn't like QB either where you just get one of them, NFL offenses are going to play with 2 or even 3 TEs on the field quite a lot.  One of the reasons Bowers is going to go high is that if you need a TE, and you don't take him, then you're not getting one who can contribute this year.   Demand vastly exceeds supply.

When people say "this is a bad safety class" because there's not a guy you'd take in the first just baffles me, since there's about 5 guys who are day 2 picks who are going to help out a team this year.

Holker catches everything. Sinnett is a fine in line guy. got a couple guys who can move well. It's not great but theres a few role players at each spot with one high end guy. Yeah, its not last years class sure.

TE's dont produce year 1. Last year was the outlier more than this year is.

12 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Again, I doubt a team spends a top 10 pick this year on a 4.45 WR to play a vertical stretch role, especially given other prospects for the same role like Brian Thomas, Jr. running 4.34's. Will Odunze go in the first round? I'd be surprised if he doesn't. But top 10? I doubt it. 

I'm not getting why you're talking about Odenze like he's strictly a vertical threat.  He's obviously more than that.

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

What is it that makes you think a team is drafting Odunze just to take the top off a defense and not to be the #1 WR who does it all?  Like if you're drafting Odunze high, it's because he runs excellent routes, has a large catch radius and strong hands, has YAC ability, is built very solidly and is hard to bring down in the open field, and he has very smooth change of direction skills.

If you look at any scouting report on Odunze written before the combine you'll find all that stuff (and more) under "positives" and the short list of negatives will begin with "average long speed."  Don't count it twice.  We knew he wasn't a burner, he's going in the top 10 because he's fast enough and good at everything.

Actually, if you're talking all-around game, I might give a slight nod to Polk. (Heresy!) While I think Odunze goes in the first round, I'll stand by my "heretical" opinion that I don't think Odunze goes in the top 10. If I'm wrong, you can feed me crow and then burn me at the stake. 

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not getting why you're talking about Odenze like he's strictly a vertical threat.  He's obviously more than that.

100%.  He's got great hands and is excellent at catching in traffic.  I knew he could get open, but he was exceptional at many contested catches this year.  

What slot he's drafted in has many variables.

15 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Actually, if you're talking all-around game, I might give a slight nod to Polk. (Heresy!) While I think Odunze goes in the first round, I'll stand by my "heretical" opinion that I don't think Odunze goes in the top 10. If I'm wrong, you can feed me crow and then burn me at the stake. 

Who are the people calling you crazy to think Odenze won't be a top ten pick?  I'd say you're nuts if you think he won't be top 20, but I wouldn't call top 10 a lock.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Who are the people calling you crazy to think Odenze won't be a top ten pick?  I'd say you're nuts if you think he won't be top 20, but I wouldn't call top 10 a lock.

The Bears would do absolute cartwheels if one of Nabers or Odunze make it to 9.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The Bears would do absolute cartwheels if one of Nabers or Odunze make it to 9.

They would also have several other perfectly viable options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Like any number starting with 4.4 is an acceptable time for a wide receiver.  If there's a reason you wouldn't take a guy who runs a 4.4x it has to do with something other than long speed.  The threshold for "I wouldn't take a guy who runs worse than that" at wide receiver is well above 4.45.

Like Wicks ran a 4.58 at UVA's pro day.

No doubt.  Greg Jennings ran 4.47, nobody ever called him slow.  I don't recall anyone ever catching him, and the list of DBs that could do it is probably really short.