2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

4 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

There are only so many dance partners available and we have the inside track on none of them. I have high hopes but I’m also familiar with the disappointment of Free Agency in Green Bay.

Huh who has an “inside track” on free agents now that you “know of”? Someone looking to lose draft picks? 

16 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

4.21 for Worthy great knights of columbus......

Yep skinny dude though.  5' 11" 165 lbs?  Not sure he'll be able to take many hits with that frame.  Fast is great but this kid is going to get killed in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I am with Justis.  Estime wasn't going to be a track star anyway.  When you watch Estime, you see that he is a bulldozer.  I am using him full well knowing he isn't likely to break a 40 yard run.  I am using him to punish tacklers, and hopefully get 4-5 yards per play, and hope that he can also be a good pass protector as he develops.  He doesn't have to be fast to do that.  And to be honest, I am more discouraged by Blake Corum's 40 time than Estime's, given the kind of game that they play.

I have been saying for months, or weeks, or however long, we should be looking for RB teams, not a single do-it-all back. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not getting why you're talking about Odenze like he's strictly a vertical threat.  He's obviously more than that.

Yes, he is more than that. But I think his best talent is in the vertical stretch role--he is great on contested catches. Then again, he had to be--I'm not the only draft geek who had wondered why he didn't get more separation more often on those vertical routes, given he had been listed prior to this season as a low 4.3 guy. I just didn't see it on tape. His 4.45 Combine time showed why. Still a good WR prospect who likely goes later in round one. But if you want to argue that he will go top 10 on the basis of his talent for a vertical stretch role, then, as you said, there are other equally viable options just for that role. Brian Thomas, Jr. perhaps most notably. (I'd say Mitchell too, but he is a bit of a body catcher at present).

But if you're gonna argue that Odunze is a top 10 worthy pick on the basis of having an all around game" (as a #1 WR often does), ok, then at least compare him with other prospects with a similar all around game, i.e., good at everything, great at one or less things. Harrison Jr., Nabers, his teammate Polk (!), Franklin, Burton, Walker, Baker, Thrash, etc. Is he better on short & intermediate compared to these other prospects? If so, how much better? Better enough to spend a top 10 pick on him when you can get a very close in talent prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round to do similar things in the short to intermediate thirds? Is his "all around" game that much better than these other prospects to justify a top 10 pick? We will see..

I just don't think his 4.45 helped him make a case to be a top 10 pick if we're talking on the basis of playing a vertical stretch role in an offense for a top 10 team looking for that. I'd be looking at prospects like Brian Thomas, Jr. if that were the case.  Just my unpopular opinion. ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Estime is “better AJD” - he would actually be a good short yardage back, whereas Dillon always seemed to leave something to be desired there. 

I think you will see the same kind of player.  I just re-watched Dillon's BC highlights.  He looks exactly the same on the Packers as he does at BC when he is running forward.  The difference is that he is now playing the Bears instead of Syracuse when he is trying to turn the corner, or change direction.  Most of AJ's struggles were poor balance when changing direction, there is just a lot of mass there that needs to change momentum.  There were quite a few times early in the season that he was hit in the backfield as well, and never could get going.  My guess is that will be the same story with Audric Estime at the NFL level.  

Larry Fitzgerald, a guy Odunze is oft compared to, ran a 4.48 and then went on to have a hall of fame career. A.J. Green, another big WR drafted high, did well for himself running by NFL DBs for the better part of a decade. He ran a 4.48. 

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Yep skinny dude though.  5' 11" 165 lbs?  Not sure he'll be able to take many hits with that frame.  Fast is great but this kid is going to get killed in the NFL.  

Same thing they said about Devonte Smith and Jalen Waddle coming out of Alabama. Before him, it was DeSean Jackson who was too small.

It's hard to hit a guy you can't catch. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, ReasonablySober said:

Larry Fitzgerald, a guy Odunze is oft compared to, ran a 4.48 and then went on to have a hall of fame career. A.J. Green, another big WR drafted high, did well for himself running by NFL DBs for the better part of a decade. He ran a 4.48. 

4.45 I'm heading .. very solid.  Odunze is a stud. 

10 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Yes, he is more than that. But I think his best talent is in the vertical stretch role--he is great on contested catches. Then again, he had to be--I'm not the only draft geek who had wondered why he didn't get more separation more often on those vertical routes, given he had been listed prior to this season as a low 4.3 guy. I just didn't see it on tape. His 4.45 Combine time showed why. Still a good WR prospect who likely goes later in round one. But if you want to argue that he will go top 10 on the basis of his talent for a vertical stretch role, then, as you said, there are other equally viable options just for that role. Brian Thomas, Jr. perhaps most notably. (I'd say Mitchell too, but he is a bit of a body catcher at present).

But if you're gonna argue that Odunze is a top 10 worthy pick on the basis of having an all around game" (as a #1 WR often does), ok, then at least compare him with other prospects with a similar all around game, i.e., good at everything, great at one or less things. Harrison Jr., Nabers, his teammate Polk (!), Franklin, Burton, Walker, Baker, Thrash, etc. Is he better on short & intermediate compared to these other prospects? If so, how much better? Better enough to spend a top 10 pick on him when you can get a very close in talent prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round to do similar things in the short to intermediate thirds? Is his "all around" game that much better than these other prospects to justify a top 10 pick? We will see..

I just don't think his 4.45 helped him make a case to be a top 10 pick if we're talking on the basis of playing a vertical stretch role in an offense for a top 10 team looking for that. I'd be looking at prospects like Brian Thomas, Jr. if that were the case.  Just my unpopular opinion. ;)

The "vertical stretch" argument you keep going back to is a red herring.  Teams aren't picking Odunze because they are looking for someone to fill a vertical stretch role.  Drake London went #8 two years ago, and he's well into the 4.5's.  Did you have London as a better prospect than Odunze?  If so, then I guess that is where we disagree.

Edited by Mazrimiv

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

From a pure BPA standpoint, there will probably be a WR on the board at #41 that would be gone 20 picks earlier in most drafts.

Might be a prime trade back to get more assets in picks.  Drop back 5-10 spots and add a 2025 pick